Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-19-2014, 11:46 PM

Default When Is It Time To Put Down Your Best Buddy?

A redundant question I know. Just need to talk.....

Our little family once had three indoor cats and a dog. We are now down to the dog and one cat.

I put Seth down a couple years back when he became ill at the age of 13. Little Blue, who was the runt of the litter and rescued from a horrific situation took a sudden turn about a month ago. He was 16 and had become my son's cat. I made the difficult decision to wake the kid in the middle of the night to say good bye to his pal before doing what had to be done. It was hard.

Our oldest, Sly had taken that little runt under his wing from day one. He has stopped eating and is barely drinking since. Sly has been with us for 18 years now, and is more special than I can even begin to describe. Just one of those unique animals that seem to become more human than critter.

At this point, he has pretty much wasted away to nothing. The kind and gentle personality remains. Other than being more lethargic than usual he is the same.

The clock is ticking though.

We've been open with the kids about it, but loosing two family members in just over a month is going to suck. Unfortunately, I'm not going to be able to put him down myself. Just cant......

The instant I see suffering in him, I'll make the call, just don't want to let emotion and bias enter into the equation. We owe him that much.

Any advice would be appreciated, although I already know what to do. Just needed to vent I guess. Amazing how critters can become a part of you.

Tree