Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-21-2012, 11:48 AM

Default Large Bait, Large Walleye/Pike Discussion

This is primary concerning pike and walleye. I have read many places that pike eat food up to 40% of their own size and walleye similarly. This means a 30 lb pike would be eating 10+ lb fish for food.
In your own experiences, have the largest walleye and pike you have caught followed this trend? I do realize at any good opportunity any size fish will eat a tiny meal. If one were to target just large trophy fish would it be more worth while to use large bait? Trolling around a 15" plus 10 pound lure/bait. I wonder if more monsters would be caught if more people specifically targetted them. This could mean fishing 16 hours for a single fish...not many people are willing to do that. I believe many trophies are caught my fluke, and more could be caught if more people targeted them.

Even for walleye, what lure/bait would best replicate a 2-4 lb whitefish or perch for specifically targetting large ones.

Normally I only use Rapalas and spoons as hardbait and leeches/nightcrawlers and dead minnows as softbait. I recently tried Berkely Gulp leeches and they suprised me to how well they worked. The only thing is for the grubs/minnows/baitfish they are soo small and minimal color selection. Anyone have any other ideas to scented softbait larger than 4 inches?

I wanted to start a discussion on some theory behind the big ones but may have made this too broad. If so Ill break up thread into a few smaller topics over next while. Look forward to hearing theories.