Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-23-2023, 12:59 PM

Default Payne lake

Any info on weather or not the ice is off yet?

What should I expect if it is open for availablility to launch.

THANKS
Old 04-23-2023, 10:00 PM

It was starting to open up on the west end on Friday. Was still ice covered otherwise.

Launch is in the campground on the south side of the lake. Decent launch, probably no dock for a while though. Used to be a no wake lake, slow speed only. Not sure it it still is now.
Old 04-24-2023, 09:02 AM

Thanks. That west wind gets going it won't take much to open up.

Maybe next week.
Old 04-24-2023, 02:15 PM

I’d say she’s pretty open…..

But don’t come here…. There’s NO fish.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 04-24-2023, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post

I’d say she’s pretty open…..

But don’t come here…. There’s NO fish.
LOL That was my old lab hunting and fishing partners favorite lake. Spent hours on that lake till he let out a small bark letting me know get to shore I gotta go.
Old 04-24-2023, 10:05 PM

https://apps.sentinel-hub.com/sentin...howDates=false

That was yesterday

On a side note, Police is still locked up. A month later than last year, not like it matters though, as it does not sound promising.
Old 04-25-2023, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes_G View Post
https://apps.sentinel-hub.com/sentin...howDates=false

That was yesterday

On a side note, Police is still locked up. A month later than last year, not like it matters though, as it does not sound promising.

Goes quickly with these warm days.

Sounds like police will be like it was 20 years ago, or like it was when I was a kid..... Hit and miss complete winterkill.
Old 04-25-2023, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kouleerunner View Post
Goes quickly with these warm days.

Sounds like police will be like it was 20 years ago, or like it was when I was a kid..... Hit and miss complete winterkill.
First I heard of winter kill. I fished it every year for 20 plus yrs and never experienced signs of winter kill.

I am thinking it is open and I believe in the post Bessiedog put up. Even it is an old one with the temp and wind it will be open by the time I head out later this week.
Old 04-25-2023, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLLER View Post
First I heard of winter kill. I fished it every year for 20 plus yrs and never experienced signs of winter kill.

I am thinking it is open and I believe in the post Bessiedog put up. Even it is an old one with the temp and wind it will be open by the time I head out later this week.
I used to live near there, parents are still there, fished there as a kid with dad 40yrs ago, every year after. I worked there for 2 summers while I went to university. But ya, what would I know about police lake.
Old 04-25-2023, 09:56 PM

Quote:

Look at the link I posted higher from satallite images taken on sunday and you will see it was still completely frozen and just starting to come off around the bridge. Police winter killed 4 years ago as well. I was out there to fish there to fish and walking the shorelines and dead fish everywhere. I didn't catch anything and knowone else I saw or talked to did either. It seems to every 3-5 years when they don't aerate it.
Old 04-26-2023, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes_G View Post
Look at the link I posted higher from satallite images taken on sunday and you will see it was still completely frozen and just starting to come off around the bridge. Police winter killed 4 years ago as well. I was out there to fish there to fish and walking the shorelines and dead fish everywhere. I didn't catch anything and knowone else I saw or talked to did either. It seems to every 3-5 years when they don't aerate it.
Used to be aerator windmills in Police ,why in their infinite wisdom would Fand W not continue to use them on a trophy lake is beyond me ....guess I just answered my own question .

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk
Old 04-27-2023, 09:16 AM

how did Police lake get into my question regarding ice at Payne Lake?

And what bridge is there at Payne Lake? Are you talking about the berm on the east end of the lake?

Lake was amost ice free last week and should be totally open by now. I was at Claresholm yesterday and stopped by Pine Coulee and the lake was wide open so I am sure the lakes 200K south of there are the same.
Old 04-27-2023, 09:49 AM

Quote:
how did Police lake get into my question regarding ice at Payne Lake?

And what bridge is there at Payne Lake? Are you talking about the berm on the east end of the lake?

Lake was amost ice free last week and should be totally open by now. I was at Claresholm yesterday and stopped by Pine Coulee and the lake was wide open so I am sure the lakes 200K south of there are the same.
Police was mentioned as a side comment, definitely some overlap and confusion in the comments. The bridge is at police. I agree, it would have been best not to mix the 2 lakes in this thread.

Although the lake is further south than PCR, there are many more factors that affect the ice conditions than just latitude. There are several lakes that are open and others that still have ice on them throughout southern AB, 40 mile, for instance. This is why there are so many inquiries on the status. The link that Wes G gave is an excellent resource for those who want to know. I use sentinal quite a bit for many applications!
Old 04-28-2023, 09:43 PM

Police still froze over as of 10:00am today and payne wide open. Lots of small ones.
Old 04-29-2023, 09:52 AM

THANK YOU.

Now if the wind co-operates this week I will make the drive down.