Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-04-2007, 02:09 PM
rugatika

Default Chainsaws?

I was thinking of getting a Stihl MS260 for cleaning up some trees on the acreage and for firewood use. Just wondering if anyone has any good or bad experiences with Stihl and if there were any bar length recommendations.

Treeguy? What saws do you use and/or recommend?
Old 05-04-2007, 02:54 PM
Ice Fishing Maniac

Go with either a Stilh or Husky

I personally have 2 Stilhs. A m170 or m17 I carry on my quad, and just bought ms290 -more power/bigger bar-for larger cuts of trees for firewood at home. I have had my m170 since about 1999 with no problems.

My buddy is a dealer for Stilh, so I support my friend.

That being said, you cant go wrong with a Husky either.
Old 05-04-2007, 03:06 PM
prairieboy

I have a 250 and find it to be an excellent saw.It starts quite easily,and has been trouble free.
Old 05-04-2007, 04:26 PM
Chainsaw

Default Chainsaw

Stihl all the way, had one for yrs now and never a problem, works great all the time.
Old 05-04-2007, 04:28 PM
BabyKong

Default Re: Chainsaw

I have a Husky and next time I would go with a Stihl....lol
Old 05-04-2007, 05:18 PM
308man

Default chain saws

Have had and used a johnsred for 12 years still going strong
have wore out 2 chains. go with at least a 20 inch bar.
Cut about 2 cords of wood every winter also used at the hunting camp very good saw.
Old 05-04-2007, 05:22 PM
WCTHEMI

Default Re: chain saws

Can't go wrong with a Stihl or a Husky. Great saws and you can get parts easily if you ever actually break something on them.
Old 05-04-2007, 07:02 PM
Tree Guy

Heeeyyyy!! Finally a subject I know something about! (I can hear all of the wisecracks right now, what a thread that would be! )

What was I talking about? Oh yeah, saws. Sorry, feeling kinda goofy today must be the rain, bear with me.

We run Huskies. I hate them, I hate them, I hate them!>: They are quirky prima donnas, that work very hard to ruin your good moods, and worsen your foul ones. Man, nothing gets a neighbourhood's attention faster than some cat 65' up a Poplar having a full volume, profanity laced discussion with his Husky! >D More than one husky has plummeted to a premature death, 'accidently' of course:rolleyes . (However, in fairness, my new Husky a 575, does run well and I like it so far)

Working up in the tree canopies, I run a specilized Sthil ms200t, 'top handle' saw. It is ment to be used with one hand. I love this saw to death. In two years (keep in mind I'm cutting about 200 cords a season) that saw has not had one problem. Start within 3-4 pulls every time (including winter) and runs until it runs out of gas. Period.

That's just one example. Any Stihl saw is worth every penny.

Rug, I ran an old 026 for years, no problems. I once had a little 017 (now the ms170). That's the saw you see advertised in the $300 'wood pro' packages. Thought what the hell. Civilian version, but always good to have extra saws on sight. Man, I tell ya, that saw turned into my pet.

Over the 6-7 years that I had it, I bet it blocked out 100's of cords of wood with just one trip to the shop that was my own fault anyway.

Saddly, that little saw saw it's last climb in Okotoks a couple of Decembers ago. My ground man tied it to my rope and I pulled it up to my pearch. It was a cold day, and in the process of transfering the saw from the rope to my harness.....it slipped out of my gloved hand. It dropped 60' to an asphalt parking lot.>: It now sits in a place of honor in my garage. Cool part is that it sits there because, I couldn't get the parts to fix it, but I would bet if I went out right now after two years....the bugger would start, WITH old gas.

As to the question regarding bar length. For general purpose work, I really like a 16 inch bar. I'd rather have a saw running a bar that is smaller than the engine can handle. It's much better than killing the machine with an oversized bar. The 20 inch is a nice size also, just make sure you have the power.

On a more serious note. Be safe with these things, they are probably one of the most dangerous hand tools there are. One of my best friends watched his father die in front of him when the machine 'bucked' and cut his throat.:| Another guy on my crew one time had his saw come back at his face. It cut a piece out of the brim of his helmet and on of the teeth gouged a scratch on the lens of his safety glasses (exactly where his pupil was)! I could tell stories for hours here but my hands are getting tired now!:rollin

Buy Stihls, you won't be dissapointed. Hope that helps. Any other questions post up and I'll be glad to give at least an opinion.

Tree
Old 05-04-2007, 07:22 PM
Crestliner192

I have a stihl 250 and it works great, if i were to step up my next one would be the 260.
my 2 cents
Old 05-04-2007, 07:55 PM
209x50cal

HEHEHEHE
I have a 30 year old (yep 30) Stihl 041 AE. I have no idea how much wood it has cut but I used to do a lot of birch for spending money when I was a newly wed. I can account for 1000 cords of birch in the first 5 or 6 years of its time with me. I have wore out 8 or 9 bars and who knows how many chains. It has been good!
Old 05-04-2007, 08:10 PM
Tree Guy

I know that within my industry, alot of the guys do run Huskies. We have no choice sometimes as to the equipment were are given by a company. You get bad apples from every barrel. However, with that being said, almost everyone preferres the Stihls.

I can't resist, I can't resist, I can't resist!!!

209, was your 30 year old Stihl a RETIREMENT gift???:rollin :lol :b Sorry, sorry, sorry! lol. Sometimes you just gotta hit that 'hanging fastball' out of the park!:lol
Old 05-04-2007, 08:18 PM
209x50cal

Actually a wedding gift. :rollin
Old 05-04-2007, 08:37 PM
Tree Guy

Ha Ha, no offence! I just can't help myself sometimes! Mainly its when I'm 'off the meds'! lol:rollin

One question though, I know I've somehow gotten my wife to marry me TWICE (See: Fellow Maritimers thread), but how on Earth did you convince someone to stick with yourself for 30 years!:eek lol. Give my regards to Mrs. 209, and you have my deepest respect for making it that long. I aim on doing the same. Congradulations!:b

Tree
Old 05-04-2007, 11:10 PM
Kev

Default saws

I have a husky 61 I think, with 16" bar. I like it, and it performs very well for me. However, to be fair, my experience with other saws is pretty limited, so I can't make a fair comparison.
Old 05-04-2007, 11:52 PM
Northern Hunting Mom

Default Re: saws

I had the MS270 and loved it. We cut our own firewood for a house that was firewood heat only. We only had firekill spruce to cut so we had to cut lots.

Decompression switch and the ability to switch from cold air to warmed air from around the head was very nice at -30. Chain tightening screw on the side so your knuckles are safe.We ran an 18" chain on ours.

We used to run a husky and hated it. Idle screws wouldn't stay put, chain goes slack every 1/2 hour and it would freeze up with a stray cloud.
Old 05-05-2007, 12:58 AM
rugatika

Default got a husky

Well found a good deal on a husky so I'll see how she works for me. Thanks for all the info. I'll put up a review of it once I've put some wood through it.

I love the smell of a two stroke in the morning.
Old 05-05-2007, 04:15 AM
Tree Guy

Default Don't Do It Rug!

Rug, there's a reason they call it a 'deal'. Don't do it Rug! I'm telling you it's not worth it and you will regret the deal. Personally (this is for Rug only) I value Huskies as much as I value the Koyto Accord. Pretty, but useless!

Tree
Old 05-05-2007, 09:35 AM
rugatika

Default Re: Don't Do It Rug!

Oh Oh! Already bought it Tree Guy. I'm hoping I got one that will work out OK for me. So far it runs good in the garage. :rollin :rollin If she gives me headaches I'll chalk it up as a learning annex course and go git me a stihl. Nothing wrong with having a couple. I bought it before I read your post Tree so now I'll just have to suck it up and live with it.

Anyway, like I said, so far so good. Report to follow. Maybe if the rain stops I'll go clear out some deadfall this weekend.

My uncle had a saw kick back into his face quite a few years ago. Doc said if he wasn't wearing glasses he likely would have lost an eye. And I heard of a guy that once set his saw down on his thigh and bled to death. Definitely need to be careful with those gators. Used to use one a fair bit when I fenced for a couple summers back in the day. (It was a stihl)
Old 05-05-2007, 09:43 AM
209x50cal

Quote:
but how on Earth did you convince someone to stick with yourself for 30 years! lol.
I freely admit to being her one blond moment in life. Sometimes you pay for your mistakes forever.:lol
Old 05-05-2007, 12:41 PM
Reeves01

Having moved back here from B.C. three years ago, now reading about saws with 16-20" bars with .02 HP seems funny !

Turbo those babies up !

:rollin
Old 05-05-2007, 01:30 PM
Davey Crocket

I heat with wood, been runnin Sthil for forever, have run Huskys and Stihls when loggin some years back, plain out prefer Sthil, never ever let me down. To me.... one heck of a good product. Also the dealers really back up the saw too. Stihl forever.:b
Old 05-05-2007, 10:18 PM
Tree Guy

Yeah, Reeves, I hear what you're saying! Those BC boys are dealing with some real timber!

My buddy has the largest Stihl model they make. His bar is as long as his quad!:rolleyes You need ether to start the damn thing, and there's nothing like putting a file to about 20' of chain!:eek

Rug, you'll be alright with your Huskie, as long as you stay in the garage and keep your reciept!:rollin

209, you have my upmost respect for the 30 years. I truelly hope to follow in your footprints. When it all comes down to it, family is the absolute building block of any society. Good on ya!

Tree
Old 05-06-2007, 09:41 PM
lgu5

NO NO NO Get a Poulan!!!! Well that is if u want a affordable saw that you just gotta keep Pullan and pullan
Old 05-06-2007, 09:52 PM
Tree Guy

lol! Hey lgu5, did you repeat yourself, or did I just hear an 'Echo'?

Tree
Old 05-07-2007, 12:36 AM
chainsaws!

Default chainsaws!

i bought a makita 60cc for a hot deal and never had any problems with power.The only bad thing is that it is heavy after a while!
Old 05-07-2007, 12:43 PM
lgu5

Default Re: chainsaws!

lol tree guy still pullen and pullen. Damn Thing just wont start
Old 05-08-2007, 01:12 AM
Tree Guy

You keep poulin and pullin'? I have Huskies that start and WILL NOT idle!!!!!!!!!!!!Q>: They cannot get their carbs right!! Carb kit after carb kit. When they run they are fine (mostly). However, the way they set up the chain adjust and bar design just make my want to throw the GD things across the yard!

We had an old 371 last year that was 'possesed' I swear. No matter how you adjusted the carb, it either revved crazy or didn't idle. When you finally got the carb set half decent, at idle, the chain still spun like crazy (not a good thing when it is hanging off of you at 60'!)

We put it into the shop. I told the 'mechanic' to redo the clutch. He disagreed. 5 weeks and hundreds of dollars later.....it was the clutch!!!>: Idiots! Somethings I really think that it would be easier to bumble through life as a moron. Morons always seen happy!:rolleyes END OF RANT!

Tree
Old 05-08-2007, 06:42 AM
Reeves01

Quote:
Somethings I really think that it would be easier to bumble through life as a moron. Morons always seen happy!

:rollin
Old 05-08-2007, 08:36 AM
JohninAB

Husky rules!

Put my ole Husky up against any saw anyday. Thing just keeps going and going. Seven years, a lot of firewood (heat my house with wood only) and have never had to touch it other than give the chain a touch up once in awhile. Plus it looks way cuter than a god awful Stihl! Out here in the forestry business, probably see more Husky's than Stihls.
Old 05-08-2007, 08:16 PM
Tree Guy

Johnny....if I ever reffered to my saw as 'CUTE', I would have to quit my job, assume a new identity and move to Norway!
:rollin :rollin