Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-21-2024, 07:14 AM

Default Anschutz 1710 HB Classic

Figured this would make a good thread.

Just found a GREAT deal on a almost brand new 1710 HB, Classic hunter stock, 23" barrel, $1,800 Canadian, including a DIP 25 MOA rail. Can't wait to get that out to the range and try it out. Sure wish they made 54 repeaters in LH, but this will work fine for targets and gophers.

Model:
1710 D HB Walnut Classic
Total length: 103.3 cm (40.7 in)

Receiver:
Material: Steel
Finish: Blued

Trigger:
Type: Single stage trigger
Safety: Sliding safety catch on the right side
Trigger Weight, Adjusted To: 1000 g (35.2 oz /2.2 lbs)
Trigger Weight Adjustment Range: 800-1100 g (1.76 – 2.42 lbs)

Barrel:
Material: Steel
Finish: Blued
Caliber: .22 LR
Number of grooves: 8
Barrel version: Heavy
Barrel thread: N/A
Muzzle diameter: 21mm (.83 in)
Barrel length: 584 mm (23 in)

Stock:
Stock type: Classic
Length of stock: 745 (29.3 in)
Length of pull: 360mm (14 in)
Weight: 800g (28.2 oz)
Material: Walnut
Stock color: Natural
Stock finish: Oiled
Butt plate: Black Synthetic butt plate

Had the new rifle out at the range yesterday. It shoots every bit as good as it looks. Perfect feeding and extraction over 300 rounds. Tested some of less expensive ammo, shoots my favourite gopher load, Winchester X-Pert HV 36 grain Hollow points into about .5 at 50 yards. You get the odd flyer of course as this is NOT target ammo but it sure wacks gophers good, much better effect with the large hollow point than solids. Champion HV solids, SK Plus, Eley Match and of course Tennex, all make little ragged holes at 50 yards, just like it aught to. Like always, as you go up in price, the number of flyers goes way down. Very happy with the new gopher gun.

It always surprises me how much stuff can be out of alignment. I mounted a Zeiss 6.5x20x50 scope with exposed target turrets on a 25 MOA DIP rail on a Anschutz 1710 HB classic. Did a quick look through the bore, bore sight, was within a half inch of POA at 25 yards on the first shot. Made the adjustments. Spot on, proceeded to do ammo testing as this is a new rifle I am working on.

When I got to moving the Turret dials on the scope to get the zero aligned to the witness marks, I realised I only had 4 minutes of right windage adjustment left. I have never seen an Anschutz where the dovetail or the tapped screw mounts aren't PERFECTLY aligned and this one was too so I assumed the rail was out a bit. Took the rings off and put on a set of Burris Signature Zees intending to use the plastic offset inserts to correct the windage. Mounted it with the zero offset inserts to check and see what insert I would need to use. Much to my surprise, scope is now just about perfectly centred on the windage adjustments after bore sighting with the laser at 15 yards.

So long story short, the rings were the issue, even though I can't see it visually. Being it was out by less than 20 MOA and 20 MOA is not a lot, it is about .020 at the gun, it means it is quite hard to see 2/100s of an inch outage on the rings. Rifles and the gear that we use on them has to be made to very precise tolerances or stuff isn't going to work right.
Old 02-21-2024, 07:21 AM

Had the rifle out to the range for the second time. The Burris rings do have the scope almost perfectly centred now. Also did some shooting at 100 yards this time. Even with inexpensive Xpert HV HP 36 grain ammo, it would reliably hold 5 shots just over an inch at 100 yards, excepting the odd flyer. I could actually hear the difference in the report on the flyers.

With SK Plus and Tennex, it easily held under an inch, no flyers. With Tennex up to 28 bucks a box, it is testing or serious competition ammo only. I have a supply of Federal Champion that shoots almost as tight as Tennex and costs $4 a box, and the SK Plus when I bought it was only $5.50 a box. The Champion, while more accurate than the Xpert are 40 grain solid point lead. The large hollow point on the High Velocity Winchester works WAY better on gophers.

Last edited by Dean2; 02-21-2024 at 07:41 AM.
Old 02-21-2024, 07:44 AM

I ran Talleys on all of my Anschutz rifles, and never an issue. I bought two cases of Standard Plus way back when they were $490 a case, and then I bought another case from a friend, and still have over a case left, and they do very well at 50m, but the SK Long Range tend to be more consistent at 100m, in my rifles. I bought a case when they were still under $1000, but I am down to about half a case, and SK have been scarce lately. Both the Standard Plus and Long Range are consistently under moa at 100m, but I have only achieved sub 1/2moa at 100m with the Long Range, and that doesn't happen often.
Old 02-21-2024, 08:24 AM

Nice rifle! Think I'm jealous!!
Old 02-21-2024, 10:46 AM

Elk

Interesting about the SK Long range. If I see some I will pick it up to try. What I would love to find is a hollow point high velocity that hits as hard as the Xpert but is more accurate with fewer fliers.
Old 02-21-2024, 11:42 AM

Try the Eley High Velocity Hollow Point rounds. I have used them in one of my CZ 457's and they have been extremely accurate in that particular rifle.
Old 02-21-2024, 12:35 PM

I have been shooting the SK High Velocity hollow points out of my CZ 455 varmint as well as my Christensen Arms Ranger they are very accurate, 40gr HP @ 1263 Fps They really slap gophers, I have 1 brick left, the last time I bought them was 3 or 4 years ago and at that time they were $76 / brick, I bought that last 3 bricks in stock and haven't seen them since.
SK.jpg

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 02-22-2024, 03:38 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Elk

Interesting about the SK Long range. If I see some I will pick it up to try. What I would love to find is a hollow point high velocity that hits as hard as the Xpert but is more accurate with fewer fliers.
We received some today- not sure what will be left after going through the waiting list

Quote:
Even a lot of the Federal HV HP is over $70/500.

If buying by the 1375 ct bucket, they are 477.00 per 500
Old 03-02-2024, 02:57 PM

Yep I'm dealing with the same problem. I've been itching to get out and shoot some test loads in the 444. Kind of depressing actually.

So, somewhat on topic, are there rifles that you wouldn't want to alter by bedding? In .22 I have a newer, and older CZ rifle. Both decently accurate. I'm sure they'll get handed down to the kids. The scout was actually purchased for my daughter. I would like to get a little more out of them tho.

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk
Old 03-02-2024, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Bacon View Post
Yep I'm dealing with the same problem. I've been itching to get out and shoot some test loads in the 444. Kind of depressing actually.

So, somewhat on topic, are there rifles that you wouldn't want to alter by bedding? In .22 I have a newer, and older CZ rifle. Both decently accurate. I'm sure they'll get handed down to the kids. The scout was actually purchased for my daughter. I would like to get a little more out of them tho.

The cz 452s I have and have had, really benefited from being bedded. They have a unique dovetailed round recoil lug. You have to be very careful to pastecine them correctly so you don't end up with a mechanically locked action. Bedding them with the barrel centered properly using a tape wrap, helps a bunch as many czs have an issue with the barrel being tight on one side, usually the right side. Sometimes enough to affect the groups from barrel rub. The cz is one that also benefits from doing the rear tang every time.
Old 03-03-2024, 09:32 AM

Quote:
The cz 452s I have and have had, really benefited from being bedded. They have a unique dovetailed round recoil lug. You have to be very careful to pastecine them correctly so you don't end up with a mechanically locked action. Bedding them with the barrel centered properly using a tape wrap, helps a bunch as many czs have an issue with the barrel being tight on one side, usually the right side. Sometimes enough to affect the groups from barrel rub. The cz is one that also benefits from doing the rear tang every time.
Great to hear. I'll be looking into it.