Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-07-2023, 01:36 PM

Default When things go sideways

Quote:
Police urge "anyone going out this fall season to have an emergency kit with fire starting materials as it could save your life during this time of year"
Always good to have some basic survival gear on hand. You never know when a short walk turns into an impromptu overnighter!

https://edmontonjournal.com/news/loc...emergency-kits

What do you have in your "don't leave the truck without it" kit?
Old 11-07-2023, 01:38 PM

A Lead injection system
Old 11-07-2023, 01:58 PM

Good advice and cell coverage isn't universal. Mini hatchet and fire starting kit plus some emergency rations. Dressed for expected conditions as well and you should be all right.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 11-07-2023, 02:36 PM

Well went I stuck a havalon in my leg last year skinning out an elk, and started bleeding heavy, I was happy to have first aid gear prior to getting into emerg for stitches. Communications is a must too. Expect the unexpected for sure.
Old 11-07-2023, 04:33 PM

Good reminder SB.

My friends joke I carry too much on the quad & sled but if we ever have to, we can make quite a nice camp out with fire for the night. My pack always has a first aid kit, various fire starting methods and fire sticks.

I wonder why he left the atv?

Years ago I knew a guy who got his truck stuck in an area I know well. He went 4wheelin by himself when camping with friends. When he didn't return, they went looking but there was no way to find him with all the oilfield roads and trails in the area. Next day the helicopter found his truck. He was gone. Thought he heard something so he ran into the bush to get away. Truck had a custom rag top so he thought the noise was a bear and it would get him. Got lost, spent 2 or 3 days in the woods before being found. Would have been 1 fairly comfortable night if he stayed with his rig lol.
Old 11-07-2023, 04:35 PM

I forgot so much stuff in my truck I could probably build a long term shelter and ride things out
Old 11-07-2023, 04:42 PM

Leaving the ATV without any note of where he was going, and failing to mark his trail with trail - seismic tape, only adds to the problem.

Some years ago, there was a "what to do" video dealing with a snowmobile breakdown. The person took off his sock, dipped it in the gas tank to get it good and soaking wet, then squeezed the gas onto the pile of brush a few times where he was going to build a survival fire. The sock was then speared through with a stick.

Then he took the spark plug out, and held the spark plug with the spark plug wire attached near the cylinder head, with the gas soaked sock, and pulled over the sled to cause a spark and ignite the sock. The sock was burning on the end of the stick, and transferred to the pile of deadfall to ignite the fire. Even without matches, you can start a survival fire if you think about it.

Smoky fires also are easy for rescuers to find.

Lots of things you can do if you simply stay put with the machine.

Drewski
Old 11-08-2023, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
Always good to have some basic survival gear on hand. You never know when a short walk turns into an impromptu overnighter!

https://edmontonjournal.com/news/loc...emergency-kits

What do you have in your "don't leave the truck without it" kit?
While a good reminder the article is pretty weak! No mention on how if or when a fire was used. Just guy was lost but found, oh and carry a fire starting kit, it could save your life. How about I you get lost stay with your machine if able too? Or don’t go wandering off if one of your friends left to go get help, stay where they last knew where you were unless it’s an absolute life/limb/eyesight emergency.
Old 11-08-2023, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
While a good reminder the article is pretty weak! No mention on how if or when a fire was used. Just guy was lost but found, oh and carry a fire starting kit, it could save your life. How about I you get lost stay with your machine if able too? Or don’t go wandering off if one of your friends left to go get help, stay where they last knew where you were unless it’s an absolute life/limb/eyesight emergency.
Exactly my thoughts!
A reminder about the basics would have been better than telling people to bring a lighter.
We don't even know why that's relevant in this case.
Old 11-08-2023, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
That's true!

I think there's lots of people that head out into the forest who are unfamiliar with our local climate and landscape. Maybe they come from more densely-populated areas and never had to think about that before.

Or they really don't realize how big and remote the forests are, and how deep into the forest a machine can take you. The miles go by quickly.

For some, they have no basic safety training. And, frankly, no common sense. It helps to think "what if?"

Just like the guy who got lost in EINP a year or two ago - didn't leave enough daylight, and headed down some rabbit trails. They sent a helo, and the rescue team picked him up on quads. He wasn't prepared to spend a cold night out in the woods, although his two dogs may have kept him warm enough.

I've been trying to drill it into my kids. If they hit the trail without their essentials they get an earful.
Old 11-08-2023, 01:24 PM

Default It can happen...

A few years back, chasing moose. Popped a bull on the side of a cutline at dusk (well within legal light). Bull walks in the bush, lotsa blood. Played hide & seek for 20 mins before he expired, I had flagged my way in hanging seismic tape every 20 yards or so. By the time the tag was on it was dark, followed my flags for a way, missed a few in my flashlight and was pretty sure I wasn't getting closer to the trail or my quad, in the fracas I twisted my ankle, walking was tough. Phone batt was dropping fast so texted and then called hunting partners (very poor service) before phone died.

Half an hour later they found me, sitting under a tree with 2 cyalume sticks glowing and me blowing on a whistle, I had gathered branches and was about to light them when they approached...I was ready to stay the night. Everything I needed was in my fannypack.

I've hunted for over 40 yrs, plenty of bush experience...it can happen to anyone.
Old 11-08-2023, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by big zeke View Post
A few years back, chasing moose. Popped a bull on the side of a cutline at dusk (well within legal light). Bull walks in the bush, lotsa blood. Played hide & seek for 20 mins before he expired, I had flagged my way in hanging seismic tape every 20 yards or so. By the time the tag was on it was dark, followed my flags for a way, missed a few in my flashlight and was pretty sure I wasn't getting closer to the trail or my quad, in the fracas I twisted my ankle, walking was tough. Phone batt was dropping fast so texted and then called hunting partners (very poor service) before phone died.

Half an hour later they found me, sitting under a tree with 2 cyalume sticks glowing and me blowing on a whistle, I had gathered branches and was about to light them when they approached...I was ready to stay the night. Everything I needed was in my fannypack.

I've hunted for over 40 yrs, plenty of bush experience...it can happen to anyone.
And if you're prepared, doesn't have to be a big deal.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 11-08-2023, 04:45 PM

Definitely pack a lighter in your pocket and one in your truck or quad or both. Get a big smokey fire going and stay put. Let someone know roughly where you are hunting and you will survive unless mortally wounded.
Old 11-10-2023, 10:52 PM

[QUOTE=Stinky Buffalo;4674287] You never know when a short walk turns into an impromptu overnighter!

69 yr old gent from Okotoks spent outside last night. They found him alive 4:00 pm today. Hope he had some gear & will be Ok

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 11-11-2023, 08:59 AM

Smile 5 days on the Nahanni eating ants

In early June, my son and I lost the canoe and everything in it. We were left with the clothes we were standing in, life jackets, 2 folding knives with serrated edges, and bic lighter. When the Chopper came to get us, I had lost 25 lbs. and in a strong light you could see through my son.

So anything more than a jackknife and a bic lighter you are over equipped.