Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-29-2020, 08:56 AM

Default Need Help/Info on First Africa Hunt!!

Hey guys,

A friend and I got a package hunt with Etosha View Hunting that has to be used this year so we are planning for October. I need some honest opinions on taxidermy. We’re we recommended to use a place in Africa which looks like they do great work. On the other hand I see a lot of people saying to dip and pack then get it done over here in Canada. Also, costs.. don’t want to cheap out on a possibly once in a lifetime hunt but also don’t want to take out a second mortgage. How do you break up the payments? Pay for all taxidermy right on the spot or pay percentage and the rest when product is finished?

For those of you with experience what would you recommend and why?

Also, I’m trying to debate on taking my own rifle or just renting. Things that are keeping me from deciding are the potential to lose a rifle (not cheap) in transport and on the other hand, shooting rifles I’ve never practiced with. Recommendations?

Any tips, things I should know about in advance would be great. I have a budget laid out and the animals I’m after with all those costs associated already as well as accommodations/guides.
Old 02-29-2020, 09:09 AM

Never been to Africa but I have seen some crap mounts and know people with bad experiences with African taxidermy. I was warned South Africa is bad for bait and switch show rooms. My taxidermist friend says he has even received poorly dipped hides from South Africa but the stuff he has received from Namibia is much better. From those I know who have been to Africa they say get your taxidermy done in North America. I don’t doubt there are some good taxidermists in Africa but sounds like it can be a gamble

Good luck on your trip and research
Old 02-29-2020, 09:14 AM
Banned

Ive never been to africa
But i have done some flying with a firearm
Biggest thing is to have 2.5 hour min layovers
The airlines and governtments your travelling through want you to be with your rifle
Make sure you research which countries and airports are hunter friendly
And what you need for notification for some airlines that your travelling with a firearm.
Some airlines dont like hunters as well
If you get the option, upgrade to business class. Better baggage handling, more luggage allowed free or lower rates etc
Get good luggage as well, that doesnt count as oversize. I know a few guys that bought the nice big sitka suitcase and it oversized. Extra couple hundred bucks for luggage each way.
Old 02-29-2020, 11:13 AM

Default "Africa"

Even the term "Africa" is too vague. Each country within "Africa" has a different set of rules when it comes to "gun friendly" and necessary permits, etc.
Etosha National Park is the northern part of Namibia, so shoudl we assume that is your destination?
Namibia is extremely gun freindly with minimal time lost at entry and exit. The wife and I were there in June of 2018 and had a great time. We (I) made arrangements months in advance to cover all the necessary permits for travel with a firearm. Most of the carriers didn't even open my gun case to check the firearm, they were only interested in the paperwork.
I chose to have the mounts fully done in Namibia. I was able to visit the actual studio and see the quality of the finnished mounts, get the price list on each mount, and discuss the turns of the forms, etc. The downside is, that they ship when they are all finnished, and you get hit with the big bill in one shot.
The reduced cost of taxidermy in Namibia offset the cost of shipping. I made the final decision to go with this route based entirely on the fact that these are the guys who handle these animals daily, and know what the final product should look like. Every fold of skin, eyelash, and nose tuck is familiar to them.
If I had anything negative to say at all, it would be that the final shipment was wrapped soooo tightly, that some of the maines and beards were folded down tight to the animals, and they are hell getting them to lay properly. The packaging and the crating itself was done extremely well, with no issues to the mounts in transit.
Old 02-29-2020, 12:50 PM

Default Clinton Barrett

Clinton is the Canadian rep for Etosha View hunting in Namibia. Hey’s a great guy and will be glad to answer any questions whether you book with him or not. Tell him Kale sent you. I’ll pm you his #
Old 02-29-2020, 01:10 PM

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=361267

This should help answer a bunch of your questions on flying with guns, taxidermy and a good SA one etc..

If you want to talk further PM me your phone number. Always happy to talk about hunting.
Old 02-29-2020, 03:33 PM

Thanks for the info so far everyone. I guess I should’ve said the location but it will be in Namibia. I have spoken with Clinton a bit already and he’s been very helpful. I’m just try to get as much research and info done in the next couple months before it gets too late.

What are some recommend cases for rifles? I was looking at a couple pelicans at Cabelas but I’ll wait a bit to decide first.

Dean, thanks for sharing your previous post. I’ll have to read through once I’m off at work, lots of info to take in. Much appreciated.