Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-19-2012, 07:51 AM

Default Bear Attack

Heard this morning on the radio that a hunter hunting north of edmonton got mauled yesterday by a bear and is in life threating condition at the hospital.
Old 09-19-2012, 07:58 AM

Hopefully he pulls through.

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2012/09/1...ear-swan-hills
Old 09-19-2012, 08:41 AM

Hope he pulls through. I guess that's what's he gets for hunting alone. Too ba he had to learn his lesson the hard way. Just for this simple reason NOBODY should hunt alone in a remote location by themselves especially in the mountains. Anything can happen
Old 09-19-2012, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_B View Post
Hope he pulls through. I guess that's what's he gets for hunting alone. Too ba he had to learn his lesson the hard way. Just for this simple reason NOBODY should hunt alone in a remote location by themselves especially in the mountains. Anything can happen
He wasn't in the mountains. Said by Swan Hills.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:45 AM

Quote:
This was 9kms outside of swanhills probably a short walk from his truck. Get over yourself jesus guys laying in a hospital bed in an icu somewhere and this is what he gets?

Your a tool bud.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:50 AM

This can and has happen just as easily with 2 people.

Hopefully the guy pulls through and makes a quick recovery.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:56 AM
Banned

I heard on the radio of an attack out of Grande Praire.

Were there two bear attacks in the same day?

Anyone we know from the board?

I hope the gentleman comes out of this ok.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Get a grip man...people hunt alone all the time, myself included. It isn't inherently dangerous even though there is the very small possibility that something like this can happen.

Do you have your hand held everytime you sit on a cutline....jeezus....
Old 09-19-2012, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Wow
Old 09-19-2012, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Really !?!?

Pull your head out of your azz.....no lesson is worth mental, or physical pain. Theres thousands of guys that by hunt alone and have been ok.

I guess next time a hunter gets shot by his buddy your gonna pipe up and say , hard lesson learned , no one should hunt together. Or a woman shouldn't walk alone !!!

Anything can happen anywhere , at anytime.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:01 AM

IMHO enough of a "scolding" has been handed down....

I hunt alone all the time...both with a bow and a rifle, I actually prefer to hunt alone most times unless I am setting up a calling session.

Speedy recovery to the man who was injured.

LC
Old 09-19-2012, 01:27 PM

Default Ditto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
IMHO enough of a "scolding" has been handed down....

I hunt alone all the time...both with a bow and a rifle, I actually prefer to hunt alone most times unless I am setting up a calling session.

Speedy recovery to the man who was injured.

LC
I lived in whitecourt 20 years ago, and spent all my spare time fishing and hiking between swan hills and whitecourt. It's beautiful country and I can only imagine that the poor fellow who had this unfortunate encounter loved the tranquility I experienced all those times. He obviously enjoyed the woods HIS way, all the power to his speedy recovery, and good will to his family during his recovery.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:01 AM

Hope he pull's through. Best of luck!!
Old 09-19-2012, 09:03 AM

Quote:
As I posted elsewhere:

Let's see, there were about 150 000 wildlife certificates sold last year, so we'll assume 150 000 hunters that say do only 3 days of hunting in a year. Add in that this has been the first bear attack against a hunter in at least 2 years, so

150 000 x 3 x 2 years = 900 000

So the rough odds of getting attacked by a bear while hunting are 1 in a million (probably much lower).

The general rule of thumb is that a car drive has 1:10 000 risk of car accident.

So hunting alone is about 100x safer than driving around town (wrt being attacked by a predator).
Old 09-19-2012, 09:10 AM

I hope the hunter pulls through and recovers. My prayers are with him.

Jeez, that sounds scary; getting attacked from behind and not getting a chance to defend. I hunt the Swan Hills and have seen some pretty big grizz but have always seen them first. This type of attack surprizes me a little.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:14 AM

I hope he pulls through and recovers well.

Stay safe everyone - be aware out there.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Give me a break, there is nothing wrong with hunting alone, many don't need someone holding there hands when we were out in the back country. He was able to get off a round which ended the attack, he had a 5Klm hike to get into cell phone range to call for help.

This is what happens every once in a while in bear country, it's just a risk all hunters take. The most important thing is that he made it out and is being cared for in hospital. I wish him and his family all the best and hope for a speedy recovery.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Swan Hills RCMP, who could not be reached for comment Tuesday, haven’t released any information on the status of the bear or further details on the attack.
HaHa! What are they gonna do? Arrest the bear? C'mon...

It is a ****ty situation for sure. I suppose there is always that risk, no matter how remote. But there are always risks, I know it isn't going to change my hunting habits...

Wishing a speedy recovery.

skinny
And spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Wow.....simply wow.

People have been hunting alone for YEARS. I hunt alone in the mountains and would do an extended 10 day trip alone if I so desired. Its hunting...its not war.

To say something like 'thats what he gets' is just ignorant buddy....the guy was attacked by a bear. This stuff happens. It happens to people who hunt in groups of 3-4 as well. But if you're ALONE you DESERVE to get mauled by a bear???
Old 09-19-2012, 09:52 AM

Sorry Man. Should have quoted the guy.
Quote:
NOBODY should hunt alone in a remote location by themselves especially in the mountains.
Old 09-20-2012, 04:32 PM

Quote:
I often hunt alone since my hunting partner died in a vehicle accident. I just got back from the mountains. Save your *#*%**'g moralizing. One of me is safer in the bush than 3 of most guys.

"That's what he gets".....what a creepy comment.

ps: I put a 5x6 elk in the butcher shop yesterday, too, BTW.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky7 View Post
I often hunt alone since my hunting partner died in a vehicle accident. I just got back from the mountains. Save your *#*%**'g moralizing. One of me is safer in the bush than 3 of most guys.

"That's what he gets".....what a creepy comment.

Unfortunately for this guy things went sideways fast, but no fault of his really. Just the way the cookie crumbled. He proved he's a capable individual by getting out of it in decent shape. Sometimes even the best can be a victim of circumstance. I share your sentiment Rocky, many people are fine alone and your best hunting partner is common sense.
Old 09-21-2012, 09:13 AM
Banned

ps: I put a 5x6 elk in the butcher shop yesterday, too, BTW.[/QUOTE]

Right on.

Rocky has groceries for a couple of weeks.

Congratulations on the elk.
Old 09-21-2012, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky7 View Post

Pics (in another thread) or it didnt happen...
Old 09-21-2012, 12:11 PM

DurkaDurka

Yes,I'm 100% sure!

I see between 50- 60 bears every year. I know the difference
If he was a blackie I would have arrest him on the scene.
Old 09-21-2012, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KosinTrouble View Post
Pics (in another thread) or it didnt happen...
x2,Would love to see pics!
Old 09-21-2012, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Anything can happen with two or three guys, that gives the bear
three more chances. What lesson did he learn here? I hunt alone, even if I have other guys with me. One guy makes less noise than two so I sneek around by myself. This poor guy just stumbled into the wrong place at the wrong time. I wish him well and a speedy recovery.
Old 09-21-2012, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Your right anything can happen...then again nothing happens too! Been hunting alone for about 50 years. Started solo hunting when I was eight no bears have killed me yet. No Sasquatch women have had their way with me either....maybe one day! Damn my family spent 2 centuries trapping alone an no one got chewed up by a bear. If your afraid to be alone stay home and play xbox, and keep the door locked. Me I'll mostly wander the bush alone, I figure it's some of the best company I'll encouter.
Old 09-19-2012, 01:06 PM

Does anybody know where exacly, because I was thinking of going up to Athabasca.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:26 AM

Hunting in bear country? Carry a bear spray on your hip and know how to use it. How hard is that? Speedy recovery to this gentleman!