Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-23-2007, 09:18 AM

Default Semi-auto shotguns

I'm looking to expand the duck/goose hunting tool kit. What are people shooting for semi-autos these days? I've got pumps, and an o/u. I've had an A5 too. I now want something with a little less punishment from heavy steel loads.

I'm looking at both gas and recoil operated. Gold's, X2's, Bennelli's, 11-87's, 935's ......

What are your opinions on aftermarket chokes? What's a good non-ported one?
Old 07-23-2007, 11:10 AM

Berretta 391 sporting. Gas operated 12 ga. I could shoot it all day. Really smooth and soft. And problem free. I would be VERY embarassed to tell you how long I go betweeen cleanings (even multiple range days), and never a hiccup, with any sort of shell. Doesn't shoot 3 1/2's though, if that's important to you.

As for chokes, it comes with FIVE. What more do ya need?
Old 07-23-2007, 11:14 AM
sheephunter

Benelli Super Black Eagle is definitely one of the nicest semi-autos that I've shot. I shot over 100 3.5" rounds out of one during a morning shoot once and couldn't believe the small amount of recoil.
Old 07-23-2007, 11:53 AM

Make sure it's stamped Made in Italy.

Try a few out and see what fits you... Fit is much more important than the brand name. Benelli's are nice but the high rib on them sucks.
Beretta's are not only extremely nice, the are the best handling and most trouble-free gun on the market today. I've got an A390 Super Trap with more than 50,000 rnds though it and it will shoot 3" mags or cheap trap loads all day long. The new AL391 Urika and Urika 2 are my favorite.

There's no need for 3.5" shells. I mostly shoot 2.75" shells, and if you don't think they work on ducks and geese you are welcome to come and hunt with me anytime you want and I'll prove you wrong, before you waste your money on them.

Ill give my opinion on a few popular guns;

Gold- Handle like a 2x4" and unreliable
11-87's - Reliable but heavy and not balanced. Very little felt recoil.
X2 - Not bad but some reliability issues
Mossberg- Cheaper gun, hit and miss. You get what you pay for as far as fit & finish. Not balanced and heavy.
Benelli's - Been shooting them since they came out - Reliable, nice guns but I can't stand the high rib for hunting. A little expensive for an auto-
Franchi - nice if you can find them on sale somewhere
Winchester pumps - avoid at all cost - Unless it's a model 12 in mint condition and you'll resell it to me.

Chokes - Can't go wrong with Briley. But, the chokes that come with higher end autos (benelli, beretta) are good enough for hunting. That's all I use.

If the Beretta's fit you, you absolutely cannot go wrong with them. I think you'd be taking a gamble with any other brand.

Last edited by ABDUKNUT; 07-23-2007 at 08:15 PM.
Old 07-23-2007, 12:25 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
X2 - Not bad but some reliability issues
Maybe the first generation but it seems pretty solid now. I was actually quite impressed when I shot it in January.

Quote:
There's no need for 3.5" shells.
All depends where and what you are hunting my friend. There is a whole world out there but I agree that for most Alberta hunting 3" shells do the job just fine.
Old 07-23-2007, 12:30 PM

Yeah the newer ones are better, and the X3 just came out last year. Worth checking out, I've got a few buddies who shoot them and I've never heard any complaints. I prefer my Beretta's, but that's a matter of personal taste.

Take a look at what the wingshooting operations in S America use as loaner guns- Mostly Beretta's, and a lot of Benelli's. This is where there is no bag limit, and the Italian's come and want to shoot 500-1000 birds a day. The guns get hot, get abused... A much better field test than some deer-hunter/magazine writer from the States who might only hunt birds twice a year. Those guys will endorse any gun, as long as it's free and the hunt's free.
Old 07-23-2007, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
All depends where and what you are hunting my friend. There is a whole world out there but I agree that for most Alberta hunting 3" shells do the job just fine.
There is NOWHERE on this planet where you need, or gain any advantage with 3.5" shells.
Old 07-23-2007, 04:33 PM
Gone Hunting

Thumbs down

Quote:
Benelli Super Black Eagle is definitely one of the nicest semi-autos that I've shot. I shot over 100 3.5" rounds out of one during a morning shoot once and couldn't believe the small amount of recoil.
Over a hundred with no limit.you shouldn't be shooting skeet with 3.5", range rules don't allow it
Old 07-23-2007, 04:37 PM
sheephunter

Old 07-23-2007, 04:44 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
I see why you need 3.5" you can't seem to hit them with anything else if you shoot 100 in a morning shoot.We hunt over decoys and shots are under 40 yds skybusters are not invited to come again...
Old 08-06-2007, 12:27 PM

Default Semi Auto

As a die hard 1100 man, I thought that the query was enough to peak my interest. Stopped in a shop on the weekend and handled this 391 Beretta and I was very impressed. Would like now to find someone who owns one that I can try and of course to pattern.
This unit is well balanced and fits similar to my 1100. As I have not "invested" in a gun in along time, the $1795.00 price tag made me jump a little.

Anyone out there comment on that price at all??

Thanks
Old 08-06-2007, 02:50 PM
sheephunter

Despite some of the advice given here....the common sense rule is not to shoot steel (small shot size or not) out of an older shotgun with a fixed full choke. There has been much written on this subject and many documented cases of it causing problems with older shotguns. I wouldn't do it and think it irresponsible for anyone to suggest doing it. I'd really hate to see anyone get hurt due to some bad advice on a messageboard.
Old 08-06-2007, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citysfs View Post

Anyone out there comment on that price at all??

Thanks
Not sure which model you looked at, but that's way steep. If you intend to purchase a new Beretta, I would suggest contacting Ellwood Epps, (ellwoodepps.com) Cheapest place I know of in Canada to buy any type of firearm. One of the last ma and pa type shops around that is thriving. I haven't checked lately, but I'm guessing street price on a new AL391 is about $1250 for black plastic, and just under $1400 for nice wood or camo.

I do have a few Beretta's kickin around at home... but I guess you already know how difficult it can be at times to track me down
Old 08-06-2007, 06:08 PM

Default 391

Thanks for the tip on Epps. I used to have Elwood's grandson work for me so i am well aware of their history and family.

Yes its too bad we could not connect. Maybe we should try a goose field to meet ??
Old 08-06-2007, 08:20 PM

Thanks Rack and Sheep for your advice also. I will have a multi-choke rig installed on my shotgun before the season opens. I'm not going to chance ruining my shotgun or my handsome features .

Grady
Old 08-06-2007, 09:44 PM

Red face

The other thing to think about is if you shoot steel out of a full lead choke it is the equivalent to a modified steel , giving you a wide open pattern. Why would I want that in a goose blind.