Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-01-2016, 12:52 AM

Default Building Goose Decoy Silhouettes

Hi everyone!

Hope you all had a great weekend! I'm new to hunting, and really want to get into waterfowl this year, and try to trick some geese in a field shoot of some kind. I know I'll need to put some Kms on the vehicle and scout a ton, but that's a hole other can of worms.

I've got 12 floater mallards, but I don't have any goose decoys and wanted to build some of my own. Money is tight so was thinking some homemade goose silhouettes.. Any suggestions on material? I've googled and looked at past posts, but didn't find much recent. I'd love to get my hands on corrugated plastic sheets but it's pretty pricey. Has anyone used hardboard? Would it hold up in the weather? Also any suggestions for inexpensive stakes? Steel would last longer, but maybe some wood trim cut down?

Thanks for any and all advice. I wont mind putting in the time to build them, but just looking to do it for as little cost as possible.

Thanks again!
Old 08-01-2016, 06:17 AM

Ive used the corrugated plastic then ripped stakes on the table saw ..not sure about hard board but dont see why it wouldnt work they wont be out in the weather that long .
Dont think ive spent more than about 4 hours in field for a limit sometimes only an hour
Good luck
Old 08-01-2016, 08:27 AM

5/16 or 3/8 plywood, not the lightest but you can cut the bottom into a point to stick into the ground. I started making plywood silos back in the mid 70's and by the late 80's had up to 200 made. Worked great back in the day. Very durable. Every 3/4 years just would need a fresh coat of paint and were as good as new.

Gave most away, but still have a few which occasionly get put out for nostaglia sake and they still work fine.
Old 08-01-2016, 09:16 AM

Smile Free!

The key to making your own is that they are free and work. If you use scrap ply wood, try to design it so the head and stake are one piece. The shape of the head and the white flash on the cheek are what make them work.

I've seen plastic bags, black for honkers and white for snows, work well.

For ducks my buddy used to use carbon paper 8"x 12" that was scrap paper from work, another fellow had end pieces of shingles about the same size but they were too heavy in my mind.

They are 1000s of ways to do this and your imagination is the key, and what is handy and free.

You need lots of them, thus you need a friend or two to help make them and put them out. Get a magnet to help pick up your shells and leave no mess, that way you can come back.

There will be lots of geese so if you scout a bit and get permission on a pea field you are good to go.

The hide, burlap held up by those black plastic posts that Peavy Mart sells for electric fence are cheap and work just fine.

Practice calling. Welcome to the hobby.
Old 08-01-2016, 09:41 AM

Thanks for all of the advice! I don't really have any scrap material of any kind, but will keep an eye out for something like that from now on. Thanks for the tip on the magnet, being safe, clean, and respectful are my absolute top priorities. I'll post some pictures from my adventures this year! Thanks again!
Old 08-01-2016, 10:39 AM

When I was twelve, I made silhouette goose decoys out of cardboard.
Cardboard boxes, heavy duty stapler, wood dowel, split-pin paper fasteners and some spray paint.

The spray-paint did a good job in waterproofing.

They worked and they lasted for years....

Do what ya can with what ya got....

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 08-01-2016, 10:40 AM

Smile The lumber yard!

They will have a box of "shorts" just use what you can get for free. Light as possible. Flat black and flat white paint!
Old 08-02-2016, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bganz View Post
Thanks for all of the advice! I don't really have any scrap material of any kind, but will keep an eye out for something like that from now on. Thanks for the tip on the magnet, being safe, clean, and respectful are my absolute top priorities. I'll post some pictures from my adventures this year! Thanks again!
If your close to Calgary, or want to drive, I have some plastic, corrugated sheets and a template you can copy. I'll give you enough for 30. PM me.

Tags
decoy, homemade, silhouette, waterfowl