Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-14-2016, 09:12 PM

Default Suspended License

So it looks like my license is going to be suspended. My question is though..for how long? Its being suspended due to three speeding tickets amounting to 10 demerits in total accumulated in a little over a year. Is there any set suspension length for different offences?
Old 06-14-2016, 09:16 PM

https://www.transportation.alberta.ca/2172.htm
Old 06-14-2016, 09:41 PM

Okay great thanks.

However one more question..

I understand you can take a defensive driver course that takes three demerits off your license. If I have ten on my license now and I get 3 knocked off Ill be at 7 which puts me just at the maximum limit before being suspended (GDL). I haven't gotten the suspension notice in the mail yet as this ticket just was issued two days ago. If I take the course now will it be enough to avoid a suspension?
Old 06-14-2016, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Grounds Coffee View Post
Okay great thanks.

I understand you can take a defensive driver course that takes three demerits off your license. If I have ten on my license now and I get 3 knocked off Ill be at 7 which puts me just at the maximum limit before being suspended (GDL). I haven't gotten the suspension notice in the mail yet as this ticket just was issued two days ago. If I take the course now will it be enough to avoid a suspension?
Probably not as the tickets were levied before you took the course
Cat
Old 06-14-2016, 09:49 PM

Okay I thought so...however I was told the demerits don't show up on your license until the ticket is payed..true or false?
Old 06-14-2016, 09:55 PM

Instead of trying to dodge what's coming to you take it like a man, learn your lesson and change your driving habits.
Old 06-14-2016, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Okay I thought so...however I was told the demerits don't show up on your license until the ticket is payed..true or false?
Not sure on demerits. I've had 2 suspensions (not proud of that- lead foot)
And you can pay for a restricted license that allows you to drive to and from work/daycare hospital or whatever valid reason. I'm self employed and have to be all over Alberta/ sometimes western Canada at all hours. Pretty lenient restricted license for myself. You can purchase and apply for it at a registry.
Old 06-14-2016, 09:55 PM

Plead not guilty on the court date to buy yourself a bit of time and take the defensive driving course. They can not mail you a notice until you are found guilty of the offense. On the court date you could also speak to the Crown prosecutor and ask if you could plead guilty to an offense that does not have any demerits. Buy time and negotiate.
Old 06-14-2016, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannie View Post
Plead not guilty on the court date to buy yourself a bit of time and take the defensive driving course. They can not mail you a notice until you are found guilty of the offense. On the court date you could also speak to the Crown prosecutor and ask if you could plead guilty to an offense that does not have any demerits. Buy time and negotiate.
Understandable...so if I can't be mailed a notice, meaning officially suspended, until I'm found guilty then wouldn't that mean I can take the course like tomorrow and receive 3 demerits docked and be in the clear?
Old 06-15-2016, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Always plead not guilty.
Old 06-17-2016, 09:04 AM

Quote:
While we are wondering how to reduce government waste, someone wants to use our courthouse, publicly paid judge, staff ...to plea bargain a simple traffic ticket. Man up, serve your time.
Old 06-14-2016, 09:48 PM

Stop speeding or stop getting caught is your best bet.
Old 06-15-2016, 09:45 AM
Banned

Quote:
Okay great thanks.

do that before your court date on the ticket

if you do that you wont be suspended. if you wait until after... well ask me how i know and how much of a hassle that was.

actually i'm just going to tell you. so theres a program in place for people to still drive only to and from work with a suspended licence it only applies to people who don't have a gdl so that means you need to get you real licence while you still have your gdl and before you're suspended (small towns often have more openings for booking tests quickly)

so then you need to get your new full licence which costs money for the test and for the card. once you have that you have to pay for your application to drive to and from work and surrender the licence you just paid for. then you can pay for a new temporary licence to drive while suspended. and once your suspension is up you are now able to go in and purchase your full licence again .

so 3 speeding tickets in 2 years cost me $1500 not including the actual tickets that's just for the crap they put me through
Old 06-14-2016, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Its being suspended due to three speeding tickets amounting to 10 demerits in total accumulated in a little over a year
That's ridiculous, and if that's the case, then you shouldn't be driving. Take a year or 2 to learn to control yourself before you get your license reinstated.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 06-15-2016, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alacringa View Post
That's ridiculous, and if that's the case, then you shouldn't be driving. Take a year or 2 to learn to control yourself before you get your license reinstated.

Sounds like this guy has a problem that's gonna get somebody killed .

Grizz
Old 06-15-2016, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Sounds like this guy has a problem that's gonna get somebody killed .

Grizz
Bingo! Wouldn't surprise me if he has white Oakley's either.
Old 06-15-2016, 05:34 PM

Default Hmmm...

While it's the OP's right to have his day in court, perhaps I'll tie in another current thread here: the one asking for examples of governmental waste.

Appearing in court is one component of police officers' jobs, but when the defendant is clearly guilty (and both repeatedly and unrepentantly of the same offense), it is monumentally wasteful of taxpayers' dollars and reduces the time available for the officer to perform police work.

You can count me among those who believe the OP deserves a time-out to consider his actions and attitude. If that makes me sanctimonious, so be it.
Old 06-15-2016, 05:49 PM

Suck it up speedy. You took the chance now pay the price.

Any good hardware store will have a very heavy spring assortment and will have one to replace the throttle return spring on your vehicle. Failing that how about a block on the bottom of the pedal.

Of course neither should be needed if you drive as good as you think you do.

Wait till your insurance company finds out
Old 06-15-2016, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkav View Post
While it's the OP's right to have his day in court, perhaps I'll tie in another current thread here: the one asking for examples of governmental waste.

Appearing in court is one component of police officers' jobs, but when the defendant is clearly guilty (and both repeatedly and unrepentantly of the same offense), it is monumentally wasteful of taxpayers' dollars and reduces the time available for the officer to perform police work.

You can count me among those who believe the OP deserves a time-out to consider his actions and attitude. If that makes me sanctimonious, so be it.
X2...Pretty solid point you make. Knowingly guilty yet pulling the police off the streets to sit in court rooms at the taxpayers dime....
Old 06-16-2016, 12:56 PM

Quote:
So it looks like my license is going to be suspended. My question is though..for how long? Its being suspended due to three speeding tickets amounting to 10 demerits in total accumulated in a little over a year. Is there any set suspension length for different offences?
Original question was about license suspension IIRC!
Cat
Old 06-16-2016, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Original question was about license suspension IIRC!
Cat
But where it has gone is alot more interesting wouldnt you say, lol!!
Old 06-17-2016, 07:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Its being suspended due to three speeding tickets amounting to 10 demerits in total accumulated in a little over a year.
What exactly was your circumstances as per the following?

Speeding - exceeding limit by more than 50 km/h - 6 points
Speeding - exceeding limit by more than 30 km/h but not more than 50 km/h - 4 points
Speeding - unreasonable rate - 4 points
Speeding - exceeding limit by more than 15 km/h but not more than 30 km/h - 3 points
Speeding - exceeding limit by up to 15 km/h - 2 points
Old 06-17-2016, 07:33 PM
Banned

Lets do the math...three speeding tickets amounting to 10 demerits:

6+2+2=10=one ticket being exceeding limit by more than 50 km/h

4+4+2=10=one ticket being exceeding limit by more than 30 km/h but not more than 50 km/h OR unreasonable rate

3+3+4=10=one ticket being exceeding limit by more than 30 km/h but not more than 50 km/h OR unreasonable rate
Old 06-17-2016, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedy1 View Post
Lets do the math...three speeding tickets amounting to 10 demerits:

6+2+2=10=one ticket being exceeding limit by more than 50 km/h

4+4+2=10=one ticket being exceeding limit by more than 30 km/h but not more than 50 km/h OR unreasonable rate

3+3+4=10=one ticket being exceeding limit by more than 30 km/h but not more than 50 km/h OR unreasonable rate
One ticket over 50 is mandatory lose the old licence.
Old 06-17-2016, 08:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
One ticket over 50 is mandatory lose the old licence.
So you're saying we can surmise he was exceeding the limit by more than 30 km/h but not more than 50 km/h OR nabbed going an unreasonable rate?
Old 06-17-2016, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedy1 View Post
So you're saying we can surmise he was exceeding the limit by more than 30 km/h but not more than 50 km/h OR nabbed going an unreasonable rate?
A ticket exceeding 50 k over limit is licence loss, I know this because 25 years back when I had my iroc z, a cop was nice enough to mark it down to 149....
Old 06-18-2016, 07:36 AM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-18-2016, 07:41 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Quote:

Wrong, this is what took place.." I was just checking out your rear end and noticed there was an issue that I would like to discuss at a later time, now may I have your name and number please and I will contact you soon, thank you and have a lovely safe day!"

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 06-18-2016, 07:55 AM

9 pages and 250+ posts. Bottom line the op is a new driver who exceeded what's allowed for demerits points for a GDL. Hope you have a bicycle and like paying high insurance!
Old 06-18-2016, 08:25 AM
Banned

Quote:

Okay...so Aaron Voon, the fellow found videoing the child in an Edmonton theatre washroom.
So far it looks like his collection of video was just for himself...he doesn't appear to have distributed them.
If the father hadn't noticed him...the child wouldn't have been harmed.
The parents wouldn't have been harmed.
So by the logic of you post here (no one harmed...no crime), I guess we gotta let Voon go.
Ridiculous I know...but just because you break the law and no one is harmed means squat.
As long as you don't run a child down, 100km/h in a school zone is a-okay...until you do kill a child...right?