Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-25-2010, 09:02 AM
sheephunter

Default What I learned about AO

Over the course of the past week I've had the opportunity to talk with a large number of people from all areas of hunting. From government, to outfitters, to non-profit groups, to manufacturers, to retailers, to game farmers, to rich and poor hunters, people are reading this forum. The vast majority never post but they read it daily and use it to somwhat gauge the pulse of the hunting public and many use it as a source of information. Many of these are the same people that scoffed at the messgageboard a few years ago. This board is becoming an important voice in the hunting community. The one comment that all did make in one way or another, however, was that no matter how important a topic that it eventually degraded into a contest of childish name calling. One fellow I spoke with even suggested how easy it is to derail a post so that the true intent of the thread was lost. Anyhow, just passing along what I heard and the important role that this board plays in the future of hunting. It was a real eye-opener talking with a few of these people. A thumbs up to Rob and the mods!
Old 01-25-2010, 09:25 AM

IMHO this is the absolute best board on the net, hands down. Way to many decent active members to ever start listing and what I really like is when a fire gets lit things get done. I could definetly see this board becoming very important and helpul to the future of hunting accross western Canada not just Alberta.
Old 01-25-2010, 09:36 AM

With so many members and readers it has certainley evolved into quite the forum. I spend more time on here than what is healthy I think!

Yes there is a fair amount of foolishness on the board, I'm guilty of my fair share, but there are also some incredible people willing to share knowledge and experiance.

It's easy to hide behind a keyboard, but I've met a few AO members in person and on the phone and would have no problems helping them out as they've assisted me with various things.

Think of the duck poachers? I don't think these guys would have been caught if it weren't for the collective assistance of the forum.

Recently we had many people out in NE Alberta looking for a missing person. This wouldn't have happened if the word didn't get out that someone needed help. The guy wasn't even a hunter or a member of this forum. Another forum member damaged his truck in the process of searching, and people have offered to send a few bucks his way to help offset his costs.

The pros of this site FAR outweigh the cons.
Old 01-25-2010, 09:49 AM
Banned

I agree with what your saying TJ but from what ive seen from all the threads I read and that is most. That this name calling and arguing is in all catagories and happens between most posters at one point or another. A good debate is gunna result in a little mudslinging. Every single guy here has an opinion that they feel strongly towards and are going to stick by it. If another guy goes against him with a seperate opinion sometimes things get heated but thats just part of having a discussion. If guys disagree with someone thats more than their right. But be prepared to back it as you and I both know someone is gunna comment and look for reasoning.

With as many guys as we have on here there are gunna be groups that dont get along even when they agree so guys have to be able to deal with what happens. You will never get everyone to get along.

If we all got along and agreed with each other then we wouldnt acomplish a thing here! You need these seperate opinions and ideas.

So to everyone reading. We all want the betterment of the sports we are involved in whether it be fishing, camping, hiking or hunting but sometimes to get that betterment there is a discussion about it and in that discussion you may get hit with some slung mud but that is just part of life.

Biggest thing is if you dont like someone dont read their posts!! If you dont agree with someone, post with your reasoning. If you think someone is wrong post with your proof and ideas!

Alot of the time things get derailed by guys that havent been involved in the topic just like to get their jabs in.

JMHO
SG
Old 01-25-2010, 09:51 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
A good debate is gunna result in a little mudslinging.
Actually, I'd say that's where a good debate ends.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:00 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
If thats the case TJ, YOU and I have both ended debates then, as have many of the members on this forum. There arent very many regular posters who havent gotten into a heated discussion on a topic and a few choice things were said. I know I have, I know you have, its part of things TJ. Sure sometimes we should tone it down a bit but I learned at a young age that names dont hurt me. If we cant deal with everything that is said we shouldnt be posting. Im sure ive caught my share of mud, as have you!! Some deserved, some not, but as they say S#$% happens. Everyone here I hope are mature enough to read through and get the important stuff and let the rest fall on def ears.
Old 01-25-2010, 01:53 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
I have to agree with that. (And I agree this is for the most part a wonderful outdoor site.)

If someone expresses an opinion on an issue another should be able to come on and express that they have a different (or even opposite) opinion. Then they can explain the reasons they feel the way they do without insulting each other personally or "mud slinging".

To me when a person starts "mud slinging" they have run out of reasonable comments.

I think the Mods do a fair job but could do better. If one or two or three people are going over board "slinging mud" then they should be punished and if the thread has merit it can continue. Closing down a thread for everyone does not target the ones who need the "time out".

And some people have a strange definition of "jumping all over". When someone says "I don't agree with you" they say "why are you jumping all over me???"

Archery Sept. 1 - Oct. 31 Muzzleloader and Crossbow Oct. 1 - Oct. 31 Rifle Nov. 25 - Nov. 30

...And HIS kingdom shall have no end...
Old 01-25-2010, 02:16 PM
Gone Hunting

Some people like to come on the forum with one liners that are NOT intended to add anything positive to the thread. They are not "flaming" or "mud slinging" but just putting a few rocks on the train tracks.

The mature and intelligent posters usually just ignore these "jokers"

Isn't that right "jester"?

Archery Sept. 1 - Oct. 31 Muzzleloader and Crossbow Oct. 1 - Oct. 31 Rifle Nov. 25 - Nov. 30

...And HIS kingdom shall have no end...
Old 01-25-2010, 02:21 PM
Gone Hunting

Prime example of why PM's should, and could be used much more often, if you have something to say to a particular person, use the PM, instead of hiding behind a keyboard and flagrantly insulting somebody on a public forum...we have a lot of kids here who are getting into the outdoors...nice thing for them read when they get home from school.....

Last edited by lilsundance; 01-25-2010 at 04:38 PM.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Over the course of the past week I've had the opportunity to talk with a large number of people from all areas of hunting. From government, to outfitters, to non-profit groups, to manufacturers, to retailers, to game farmers, to rich and poor hunters, people are reading this forum. The vast majority never post but they read it daily and use it to somwhat gauge the pulse of the hunting public and many use it as a source of information. Many of these are the same people that scoffed at the messgageboard a few years ago. This board is becoming an important voice in the hunting community. The one comment that all did make in one way or another, however, was that no matter how important a topic that it eventually degraded into a contest of childish name calling. One fellow I spoke with even suggested how easy it is to derail a post so that the true intent of the thread was lost. Anyhow, just passing along what I heard and the important role that this board plays in the future of hunting. It was a real eye-opener talking with a few of these people. A thumbs up to Rob and the mods!

I have encountered the same attitudes from lots of hunters I have spoken with. I still know that there is alot of worthwhile information posted and alot of really good hunters/fishermen on here but I have been told more than once that "that forum is just a place for adults to argue like 4 year olds" and I sometimes find it hard to argue that statement. I have even been told by a F&W officer at a christmas party to "delete your account because there is alot of missleading information on there that could get you in trouble" and that "being a member of that forum is a waste of time and you would be better off talking to real hunters to get advise". I just found it interesting / dissapointing how other people view this forum.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:07 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty P. View Post
I have even been told by a F&W officer at a christmas party to "delete your account because there is alot of missleading information on there that could get you in trouble" and that "being a member of that forum is a waste of time and you would be better off talking to real hunters to get advise". I just found it interesting / dissapointing how other people view this forum.
Probably has alot to do with the amount F+W are brought up in a negative form here. As I feel most information posted by AO members as being informative and usually pretty acurate!!

And im thinking a very high percentage of hunters here are "REAL HUNTERS".
LoL wonder why there is mud slinging!!
Old 01-25-2010, 10:13 AM
Banned

Seems to me the Moderators and Rob do a good job in controling the forum. If they figure there is a problem maker or makers they are delt with. If you feel there are others that should be delt with im sure they would be open to a PM. If posts offend you there is a report button.

Im sure there are plenty of people out there that have nothing but good to say about this forum also. It has done more for the outdoors than it has hurt.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:21 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepguide View Post

Im sure there are plenty of people out there that have nothing but good to say about this forum also. It has done more for the outdoors than it has hurt.
10-4...........Maybe sheephunter is just trying to stir things up..
Old 01-25-2010, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepguide View Post
Probably has alot to do with the amount F+W are brought up in a negative form here. As I feel most information posted by AO members as being informative and usually pretty acurate!!

And im thinking a very high percentage of hunters here are "REAL HUNTERS".
LoL wonder why there is mud slinging!!
Your more than likely right about the officer making those comments because of heat that F&W have gotten on here. He probably took someone comments one here personally and is still a little poopy about it.

As far as "Real Hunters" statement goes, I can say for sure that was only his opinion because based on what I've seen and read, the vast majority of members here ARE REAL HUNTERS. I don't even know what a "Fake Hunter" would be?
Old 01-25-2010, 11:11 AM

Namecalling is monkey see monkey do:
MLAs and MPs behave that way in the legislatures, and so do party leaders at press conferences and during election campaigns.

It is regrettable that we sometimes mimic their schoolyard behaviour.
Old 01-25-2010, 11:25 AM

Would anyone consider this thread Derailed already ??

I love AO and most of the people on it..

I have met great people and hope to meet more in the future..

People have helped me a ton on here and I hope I have helped a few as well..

I think some of the most ethical and skilled outdoorsman are members here and I feel fortunate to have a place to go to interact with them..

My hats off to Rob always ..
Old 01-25-2010, 01:26 PM

Interesting thread and thoughts, Sheephunter. Welcome back from SCI Reno, sure sounds like a great trade show. Thanks for posting the pics as well.

I agree with you guys that this forum is the best on the net for outdoors minded people. I can certainly say that I have gained considerable perspective, knowledge, and enjoyment from this forum supported by local sportsmen here in Alberta. Before the board existed, finding information relating directly to Alberta on hunting and fishing was much more of a challenge. Remember the days of only Field and Stream....lol. AO, a great site, a definite thumbs up.

I don't really get the impression that most threads derail into a degrading spiral of mud slinging and foolishness. Internet forums are a relatively new phenomenon in communication for most people and human nature is a funny thing. People will communicate differently from behind a keyboard than they will face to face and many times much is lost in the world of text. It is evolving, that is why we are discussing it.

A bit of good natured and witty humour, foolishness, and light hearted mud slinging is sometimes a good thing to keep things entertaining. By no means has the balance been tipped over to the stupid side yet. This forum IMHO would be a worse place if it was all serious all the time. The mods do a good job on moderating and banning those who step over the line. On more serious threads I think most of the regular members can keep a thread on track even when things go a bit sideways for a few posts. BS is more likely to be called on this forum than most because of the knowledgable and experienced members on here. As Sheepguide mentioned, there is no need to agree or come to a consensus on everything. Different opinions and ideas are the spice of life.

This board is made posiible by AO magazine so we must respect that, thank you Rob. The board is a success because of the many great members that take the time and effort to share information, success stories, pictures, and comment on threads that interest us all.

Sheephunter said: "The vast majority never post but they read it daily and use it to somwhat gauge the pulse of the hunting public and many use it as a source of information. Many of these are the same people that scoffed at the messgageboard a few years ago." If we were all like these people the board would be nothing. Thank you to our active members. These guys that are condemning the site that never post sure seem to be reading it.

Sheephunter, you are correct in that this board is a strong resource that represents us all as group of outdoorsmen so we must remember and respect that and think about that before we type. I think that was your underlying message.
Old 01-25-2010, 01:30 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Sheephunter, you are correct in that this board is a strong resource that represents us all as group of outdoorsmen so we must remember and respect that and think about that before we type. I think that was your underlying message.
Most definitely
Old 01-25-2010, 11:40 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Over the course of the past week I've had the opportunity to talk with a large number of people from all areas of hunting. From government, to outfitters, to non-profit groups, to manufacturers, to retailers, to game farmers, to rich and poor hunters, people are reading this forum. The vast majority never post but they read it daily and use it to somwhat gauge the pulse of the hunting public and many use it as a source of information. . A thumbs up to Rob and the mods!
This is good news that we have forum that is becoming source of information for laws makers in this province. We should use this in a positive way and try to get things done.

Few topics that were discussed before should be broth to law makers attention :

Better definition of edible parts of large game animals,
Use of dogs for tracking wounded game,
Clarifying participation of non hunting partners in act of hunting,
Grizzly hunt,
and many,many more

There is lots of very confusing laws regulating hunting and fishing and to much of it is left to interpretation...

We need place on the forum that would deal with those topics in a form of poll where we could avoid personal attacks and childishness and have our voice heard....

Moderators could come up with weekly topic in this section and we could voice opinion.
We could PM ideas of topics to Moderators.

I like this board,
I went hunting with other members thanks to this forum,I did not go fishing as per warning about poor ice or weather condition, I've changed my hunting dates based on information on Elk rut reports and was successful and learnt a lots...despite 30 years of hunting experience combined on two continents.

Kudos to Rob, get this new section going please.

Andrew
Old 01-25-2010, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrzej View Post
This is good news that we have forum that is becoming source of information for laws makers in this province. We should use this in a positive way and try to get things done.

Few topics that were discussed before should be broth to law makers attention :

Better definition of edible parts of large game animals,
Use of dogs for tracking wounded game,
Clarifying participation of non hunting partners in act of hunting,
Grizzly hunt,
and many,many more

There is lots of very confusing laws regulating hunting and fishing and to much of it is left to interpretation...

We need place on the forum that would deal with those topics in a form of poll where we could avoid personal attacks and childishness and have our voice heard....

Moderators could come up with weekly topic in this section and we could voice opinion.
We could PM ideas of topics to Moderators.

I like this board,
I went hunting with other members thanks to this forum,I did not go fishing as per warning about poor ice or weather condition, I've changed my hunting dates based on information on Elk rut reports and was successful and learnt a lots...despite 30 years of hunting experience combined on two continents.

Kudos to Rob, get this new section going please.

Andrew
Andrew,

I think Rob Created AO as a place for Alberta hunters to connect and share there outdoor experiences.I dont think his intent was to turn it into a Online Hunting regulation site as there already is one
Old 01-25-2010, 12:23 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownBear416 View Post
Andrew,

I think Rob Created AO as a place for Alberta hunters to connect and share there outdoor experiences.I dont think his intent was to turn it into a Online Hunting regulation site as there already is one
Is there place in Online Regulation that we could lobby rule makers for change affecting hunting and fishing regs with 14000 strong members voice??

Andrew
Old 01-25-2010, 12:25 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrzej View Post
Is there place in Online Regulation that we could lobby rule makers for change affecting hunting and fishing regs with 14000 strong members voice??

Andrew
LOL...we'd have to get concensus on an issue first.
Old 01-25-2010, 12:42 PM
Banned

nothing to see here...
Old 01-25-2010, 01:00 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
LOL...we'd have to get concensus on an issue first.

I think that AO FORUM would be proper place to generate public opinion on those topics affecting all of us.

If law makers are visiting AO Forum and we would have here section with polls on important topics than they could access this information without any obligation ... just honest public opinion...from real outdoorsman.

It was just my 2 cents. OVER.

Andrew

Last edited by Andrzej; 01-25-2010 at 01:05 PM.