Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 11-03-2008, 12:20 PM

Default pain in the shoulder

ive been shooting for a month now, at first i thought it was just a muscle pain like after a night of working out. i went to lethbridge this weekend and had help with getting my bow tuned. she set my bow lower and told me that after i start to get comfortable and it seems too easy to turn it up a full turn and repeat. i did some practice in my back yard today and i can only get 4 or 5 shots it and my shoulder starts to really hurt. i stretch out before i practice. i dont know what im doing wrong. its the side that i hold the bow with not my drawing arm. i was told to use my back muscles and thats what ive been doing. has anyone had this happen to them? what am i doing wrong?
Old 11-03-2008, 07:17 PM
Banned

I used to get a sore shoulder when I started. Seems that when my shoulders became stronger and the bow arm became stronger, the groups became tighter. Hang in there, you will be a pro in no time!!
Old 11-03-2008, 07:51 PM

Default possibly strained a muscle

You say you have been practising for a month and that you just had the bow's draw weight set lower. Now have you been practising every day? Or shoot til your arm gets tired and then take a break for a couple or three days then shoot again. Its possible that if you haven't taken any breaks, but shot every day that you have strained a muscle. Give it three days break to give your shoulder time to heal, then try it. If the same thing happens go see a dr. as you have probably have a strained/inflamed muscle or shoulder joint. Pray its not an inflamed rotator. Thats a long time healing and you will be out of action for the rest of this year.
Old 11-03-2008, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilsundance View Post
You say you have been practising for a month and that you just had the bow's draw weight set lower. Now have you been practising every day? Or shoot til your arm gets tired and then take a break for a couple or three days then shoot again. Its possible that if you haven't taken any breaks, but shot every day that you have strained a muscle. Give it three days break to give your shoulder time to heal, then try it. If the same thing happens go see a dr. as you have probably have a strained/inflamed muscle or shoulder joint. Pray its not an inflamed rotator. Thats a long time healing and you will be out of action for the rest of this year.
thats what im thinking of doing, i do practice everyday, but lately i can only shoot 4 or 5 times and its starts to kill. the other day at the pro shop i drew and let off without dry firing and just that one thing killed me. it goes away after an hour and i think im ok then i pick up the bow again and the same thing. so i think im gonna lay off for a few days and try again. i hope its nothing serious either, the ladie at the pro shop told me it can cause some type of arthritis, and im 21 so i hope that doesnt happen. the thing is i enjoy it too much to take a break. i could do it all day if it didnt hurt. i was hoping to go rabbit hunting soon i hope ill be alright. and i hate going to doctors.
Old 11-03-2008, 08:44 PM
Eyeswideshut

I have 2 torn rotator cuff, left and right shoulders, my archery hobby is toast. I have been like this for 2yrs right shoulder, 1 year left shoulder.

See a doctor, he'll do a couple tests for shoulder movement, and if needed you will get an arthrogram which SUCKS!!!

Good luck,.. hope you only just have tired, stressed muscles.
Old 11-04-2008, 10:56 AM

kinda hard to describe what I'm saying but... maybe try relaxing/rotating down the shoulder of your bow hand. I find when doing practice if i don't do that my shoulder will get soar too