Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-29-2024, 05:49 PM

Default Browning A Bolt 300 Win Mag

I just recently purchased my first big game rifle. I was looking at some reviews that mentioned quite a bit of recoil from the gun I got which doesn't bother me for the most part. Just wondering if theirs any muzzle breaks anyone would suggest buying or if anyone is selling any let me know!
Old 03-29-2024, 05:57 PM

Do not install a brake, unless you are prepared to use hearing protection for every shot fired, including while hunting. A single shot with a braked rifle, without hearing protection can result in permanent damage to your hearing.
Old 03-29-2024, 06:09 PM

I sold one a few years ago. Awesome rifle with meat in freezer & stuff on the wall. Gun didn't kick bad at all with the 26" tube. I really like the semi-detachable mag as well.

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 03-29-2024, 07:00 PM
Suspended User

That's a nice rifle and cartridge
A couple of things for recoil

-The overall weight comes into play .. You sound young and if weight dosen't matter I would put a nice but heavier scope and rings on . Get it to 8.5-9 lbs if carrying it is not an issue

-Recoil pads on the Browning are quite good however the Limbsaver might work a bit better at recoil reduction

-there's a diff in bullet weight , 200 gr vs 165

- time at the bench can be limited to sight ins. Shooting in the field at game really is not the same as in felt recoil

Enjoy your new rifle ..that's a good one
Old 03-29-2024, 09:52 PM

300 win is a cartridge to do it all .Guy like smaller cartridges because of recoil ,but where I hunted if something ever goes wrong and the bullet hits a willow or small branch your next shot might be 600 or 800 . At 300yards in the last hour of daylight ,you can't see a 1/4 inch small poplar and they all grow that size fast 5 feet high plus.

This is where it shines, you may never have this happen, but if it does you got plenty of energy to reach out and stop it dead in it's tracks .

Doesn't mean a guy just fires away ,still need proper shot placements always . But when crap hits the fan a 300 win is good to have . A 180 grain bullet at 3000fps is a hammer big time.

If a guy hasn't hit a branch or twig in his life he hasn't hunted cut outs or heavy bush area's . You can hear the smack at 300 yards easy on a good size animal with a 300 win. Sight it in on a bench and practice off the bench .

Good choice .
Old 03-30-2024, 11:37 AM

Avoid a brake. Absolutely deafening. A good recoil pad will help a lot although my son finds his factory A bolt recoil pad works just fine.

Tags
ammo, gun, hunting, scope, shooting