Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-08-2012, 10:22 AM

Default Coyotes Not coming into bait.

Hey.
Anyone out there know how I can get these damn coyotes out to my bait.
I got a dead cow from the Auction Mart, on Nov/23/12. No one there could tell me if it had been given any shots. But I'm going to guess it has. Nothing had been to it in 2 weeks, So I moved that cow away from my bait set. I got 6 pigs from the local colony, and the pig boss said that none of them had been given any shots, but still nothing. So I made up 2 big popsicles of blood, and trim from the butcher shop. Still just birds........... Last year at this time I had already taken 5 from my bait set. Any ideas on what I can do to get them damn coyotes over to my bait set.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:03 AM

Default we are not getting hit either

Just put a second meatsickle out yesterday. Hear a few, but very few, after dark and even on my road trips around 5 miles of the area I am seeing very few even in the distance. have to figure a few contributing factors.

We have hit them very hard for the past 4-5 years and the local numbers are down and those remaining are very educated (nocturnal).

Up until the past couple days the temperatures and snow cover did not really make it too difficult for them to find food. (feeding on deer gut piles wounded waterfowl etc)

the pressure from local hunters has increased 5 fold from past years with everyone and their brother now owning a coyote rig and looking for "dogs"

have not even seen one in the distance for over a week and he was bleeding badly for 1/2 mile before he went on property I do not have permission on.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:51 AM

Same for me.
I put my deer gut pile and scraps in a bait pile. Nothing but birds. What's up?
Old 12-08-2012, 01:43 PM

Ain't cold enough yet.
Old 12-08-2012, 02:12 PM

Default .

I would have to disagree on the cold factor, As I said before last year this time I had shot 5 off my bait site. Way less snow and way less cold this time last year. I'm just wondering if that tainted bait is maybe still lingering. It's been a week since I moved it.
Old 12-08-2012, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fer-Tak-Er View Post
I would have to disagree on the cold factor, As I said before last year this time I had shot 5 off my bait site. Way less snow and way less cold this time last year. I'm just wondering if that tainted bait is maybe still lingering. It's been a week since I moved it.
What exactly is the bait tainted with?
Old 12-08-2012, 02:13 PM

Feels cold to me!
Not even at night. No tracks in the snow, And the snow is building. In October I couldn't keep them out of my compost pile. Now I can't get them to come in.
Brad
Old 12-08-2012, 02:25 PM

Default .

My bait site is on the edge of a 2 mile by 1 mile lake(more like a slough, but the map calls it a lake). Last year on the full moon in December at @ 1:00am I snuck out there. I counted 21 coyotes on the lake.(I know it sounds a little far fetched, but I am not bull sh**ing) I know alot of guys are out there shooting coyotes, and maybe there is getting to be less out there than in previous years, but somethings up. Not even a dog track in 3 weeks.