Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-04-2014, 09:59 AM

Default For the Millionth time!

Looking at getting a new rifle.....again! It will be for Elk and Moose, as the primary. I don't hunt bears, and will likely never do Bison. I do have a 270 Win in an older Rem Mountain rifle, that I also use. It is staying in the flock indefinately.

I'm leaning heavily towards a 300 Win mag, with the possiblility of a 7 Rem Mag, but I feel the 7 is so close to the 270 as to make it not as worth while. I'm not interested in any other calibers except maybe the 06, and again I think it's too close to the 270.

My 3 choices are in no particular order, Kimber Montana, T3 Laminate, or an older Rem BDL, with a Mcmillan stock, possibly a KS.

I'm looking for opinions that are qualified, not just a get the 7 cause the 300 sucks. Chuck that means you as I know you've got alot of knowledge on this but sometimes have to be poked to get the reasons.

Thanks for the feedback guys.
Old 07-04-2014, 10:05 AM

How do you deal with recoil? The 300winmag offers a bit more energy, but in otherwise identical firearms, it does produce noticeably more recoil. For all intents and purposes, either cartridge will fit your needs. As far as rifles go, pick what suits you, just don't go too light, especially with a 300winmag.
Old 07-04-2014, 10:20 AM

I don't like recoil more then anyone else, but feel I shoot just as good hunting with a 300, as the 270. The worst recoiling rifle I've shot was a T3 lite in 338 Win Mag. It was definately uncomfortable at the bench, but I did have it shooting consistent moa. I did feel like a retina may detach from I though.
I've heard the Montana's even though light don't seem to recoil too bad due to stock design. I have never shot one though.
Old 07-04-2014, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesteader View Post
I don't like recoil more then anyone else, but feel I shoot just as good hunting with a 300, as the 270. The worst recoiling rifle I've shot was a T3 lite in 338 Win Mag. It was definately uncomfortable at the bench, but I did have it shooting consistent moa. I did feel like a retina may detach from I though.
I've heard the Montana's even though light don't seem to recoil too bad due to stock design. I have never shot one though.
Most people don't like recoil, but recoil does effect everyone differently. Some of us still shoot heavier recoiling rifles quite well, while some people don't shoot well, with any rifle that produces any significant amount of recoil.
Old 07-04-2014, 11:09 AM

I have heard many horror stories about kimber rifles but I've also heard many great stories, out of your choices I would go with kimber.

Take a look at the Winchester model 70 extreme weather, I have one in 325 wsm and it's a great rifle. Stainless, fluted barrel, bedded bell and Carlson stock.

Last edited by north american hunter; 07-04-2014 at 11:25 AM.
Old 07-04-2014, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by north american hunter View Post
Take a look at the Winchester model 70 extreme weather, I have one in 325 wsm and it's a great rifle. Stainless, fluted barrel, bedded bell and Carlson stock.
I did look at them a couple years a go. Very nice, I just found the stock too clubby for my dainty hands Otherwise just about a perfect bang for the buck all weather rifle.
Old 07-04-2014, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Looking at getting a new rifle.....again! It will be for Elk and Moose, as the primary. I don't hunt bears, and will likely never do Bison. I do have a 270 Win in an older Rem Mountain rifle, that I also use. It is staying in the flock indefinately.

I'm leaning heavily towards a 300 Win mag, with the possiblility of a 7 Rem Mag, but I feel the 7 is so close to the 270 as to make it not as worth while. I'm not interested in any other calibers except maybe the 06, and again I think it's too close to the 270.

My 3 choices are in no particular order, Kimber Montana, T3 Laminate, or an older Rem BDL, with a Mcmillan stock, possibly a KS.

I'm looking for opinions that are qualified, not just a get the 7 cause the 300 sucks. Chuck that means you as I know you've got alot of knowledge on this but sometimes have to be poked to get the reasons.

Sounds like you've answered all your own questions as far as the cartridge goes - 300 WM. The 7 will do everything the 300 will but with slightly less recoil (Right?). Less recoil to be able to tell the difference? I don't know that depends on the person and the gun. As far as your choices of rifles go, I'd want something with a lil more meat on it than a T3 when it comes to a magnum. Have you looked at a Winchester M70?
Old 07-04-2014, 10:31 AM

I like the 7mm remington mag over the 300 win mag. 7mm will do anything a 300 will but as stated with less recoil.
Old 07-04-2014, 10:46 AM
Banned

Default Choices you make.

Either choice of caliber will do the job.Surely you can find better choices of guns.
Old 07-04-2014, 11:05 AM

cant comment on any of the rifles but, the last thing on your mind when a 180" whitetail comes storming in to the rattlers is recoil, recoil is only an issue on the bench. but getting tight off the bench helps the feild so its an issue, so round and round it goes.....

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31
Old 07-04-2014, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post
Surely you can find better choices of guns.
Remember, Qualify. What's better, and why are they better?
Old 07-04-2014, 11:14 AM

Quote:
He reminds me of a person that was banned from another forum, if it's Browning it's great, if it's Marlin or Remington it's garbage, and most other brands other than Browning, aren't much better than garbage. Of course, he never went into any detail as to why Browning is so great, or why the other brands are inferior. That person was also from Manitoba, and his initials were G.R., but I am sure that it's just a coincidence.
Old 07-04-2014, 11:39 AM
Banned

Default Personal choice,is just that.

Quote:
My top five list has none of your choices,on it.Chevy Ford ,Dodge.Not saying your choices are poor,or mine are better,just different.However,your choice of brand of gun,will effect your ability to shoot,more than your caliber choice.Good luck,with your limited choices ,for success.
Old 07-04-2014, 12:25 PM

I own a.270 Rem. Mountain rifle, and an older Ruger .270 mod 77.Have shot a dozen moose over the years that did not require a larger calibre.With the improved bullets today, the .270 would be more effective than ever.
Old 07-04-2014, 12:28 PM

Default For what's worth..

I own a.270 Rem. Mountain rifle, and an older Ruger .270 mod 77.Have shot a dozen moose over the years that did not require a larger calibre.With the improved bullets today, the .270 would be more effective than ever.
Old 07-04-2014, 12:58 PM

Both valid Posts. Sticking with the 700 platform, and just sticking with my 270. It's definately something I've thought of already, and still a possibility. Just used to shooting bigger animals with bigger cartridges.
Old 07-04-2014, 01:27 PM

Buy a Winchester Model 70 or Ruger 77 in 338 Win Mag.

-Billy Molls
Old 07-04-2014, 01:30 PM

I've shot the 270 Winchesterr for 30 years now. Great deer gun especially with the 150 SSTs (for me anyway). But when we started hunting moose and elk, I decided it was time for something larger. Son and I both purchased 300 WSMs. His is a Tikka and mine's an A7. You never seem to notice the recoil when shooting at game. So my vote goes to the 300 WM.
Old 07-04-2014, 01:34 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Both valid Posts. Sticking with the 700 platform, and just sticking with my 270. It's definately something I've thought of already, and still a possibility. Just used to shooting bigger animals with bigger cartridges.
Not required to have bigger than you already have and I guarantee you one more thing you wallet will be fatter too!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 07-04-2014, 02:53 PM
Banned

Default Permission needed?

Quote:
If you need to justify buying another rifle to someone,thats one thing,but any animal you will shoot ,wont know what hit him either way.Bigger isn't better in all cases.
Old 07-04-2014, 03:17 PM

If your thinking of going with a Kimber, why not look at a different model. I think its 84L or something, might give you a little extra weight to counter the recoil of a 300 WM. Or possibly a Wby Vanguard.
Old 07-04-2014, 04:07 PM

I will 2nd going with a 338 Win Mag...heck you got a 270...so 270 to 308 caliber trajectory and stopping power are already covered by that basicly. The 338 is very versitle....load it down to 185 grains or up to 270 grains...with 210 and 225 been what will cover anything walking in this province. It has a releitivly flat trajectory with these weights. It's kick is more a big punch then a hard slap like the 300 Win and I at least, find it more torrible. But as you already said you discovered, get it in a normal rifle not a lite one like the Tikka you tried out.
The 338 Win is an elk and moose killing son of a gun...and if that is what you say you want your new rifle primarily for.....No Experiance with them but the Kimber out of the ones you listed would be my choice...in the Montana or the 84L.

Jim
Old 08-19-2014, 08:32 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Stick with what you got, bigger animals with bigger cartridges? Maybe if it was going to eat you, crush you, poop you out a day later but for the animals you mentioned save the money.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 07-04-2014, 09:36 PM

Quote:

I thought you owned a 35 whelen? Sounds like the ticket to me. Although I'm biased as I just pick up a beauty m70 in 35 whelen
Old 07-04-2014, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckbrushoutdoors View Post
I thought you owned a 35 whelen? Sounds like the ticket to me. Although I'm biased as I just pick up a beauty m70 in 35 whelen
I had a 7600, sold it a couple years ago.
Old 07-04-2014, 10:28 PM

Do you role your own ammo?.
if you do, buy the 300. Load it down to 308win Velocity loads for fun. Load her up to hunt, or not. nothing the 284" can do that the 300 can't beat. As per usual the crap in these kind of threads get stacked so high it runs up hill .
Buy a Kimber in 284AI, will do damn near what the 7mm RM will do with better burn/ short action. I seen a few on the Buy and sell here lately. Or buy a 300, don't like it, sell it, try another. No one can tell you what you can or can't handle but you.
Me personally, I use the 300wm to hunt everything, loaded up or down, very versatile cartridge.

Last edited by sikwhiskey; 07-04-2014 at 10:57 PM.