Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 09:31 AM
Banned

Default Marijuana to be legalized in July next year...

First step in the right direction...
Quote:
The Liberal government will announce legislation next month that will legalize marijuana in Canada by July 1, 2018.

CBC News has learned that the legislation will be announced during the week of April 10 and will broadly follow the recommendation of a federally appointed task force that was chaired by former liberal Justice Minister Anne McLellan.

Bill Blair, the former Toronto police chief who has been stickhandling the marijuana file for the government, briefed the Liberal caucus on the roll-out plan and the legislation during caucus meetings this weekend.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/libe...-pot-1.4041902
Old 03-27-2017, 09:42 AM

The goldfish have circled the bowl. Time to show them the golden hoop one more time.

Colin
Old 03-27-2017, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdoctor View Post
First step in the right direction...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/libe...-pot-1.4041902
I can't believe they didn't choose April 20 to announce the legislation. Opportunity missed!

Cheers
Old 03-27-2017, 09:49 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags View Post
I can't believe they didn't choose April 20 to announce the legislation. Opportunity missed!

Cheers
True enough
Old 03-28-2017, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags View Post

Cheers
That would have been very appropriate.
Old 03-27-2017, 09:47 AM

I really am having a difficult time with this stupidity. I never got involved in any politico threads til this c _ _ p showed up. Why the heck would they contaminate Canada day with this?!! Liberal thinking has hit rock bottom, and to he!! with canadians with a sense of pride in their country.

Rant over.
Old 03-27-2017, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyduck View Post
I really am having a difficult time with this stupidity. I never got involved in any politico threads til this c _ _ p showed up. Why the heck would they contaminate Canada day with this?!! Liberal thinking has hit rock bottom, and to he!! with canadians with a sense of pride in their country.

Rant over.
Because it never should have been made illegal to begin with! Thank you for your comment

Cheers
Old 03-27-2017, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyduck View Post

Rant over.
Its been here for over a 100 years, now the police can concentrate their efforts getting the real poisons off the streets. 1000's die from opioids nobody ever died from a pot overdose.
Old 03-27-2017, 10:40 AM

Never thought I would see it in my lifetime, it's about darn time.
Old 03-27-2017, 10:50 AM

Canada continues to slither down the drain.
Old 03-27-2017, 10:55 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidderman View Post
Explain?
Old 03-27-2017, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidderman View Post

Maybe so but...now we can do it with bg stupid grins on our faces.

I'm opening a pizza shop.
Old 03-27-2017, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
Its been here for over a 100 years, now the police can concentrate their efforts getting the real poisons off the streets. 1000's die from opioids nobody ever died from a pot overdose.
The biggest issue with drugs is people turning to crime in order to feed their addiction and victimizing innocent people. An overdose is just Darwinism in action.
Old 03-27-2017, 11:08 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteout View Post
The biggest issue with drugs is people turning to crime in order to feed their addiction and victimizing innocent people. An overdose is just Darwinism in action.
The problem is, weed is illegal and it shouldn't be. Synthetic heroin - Oxy is still legal and doctors are creating many addicts.

Which one causes more deaths and true addictions?

How many billions are spent each year on enforcing illegal weed?
Old 03-27-2017, 11:27 AM
Banned

Yup just in time for the next election..... knew it.
Old 03-27-2017, 11:38 AM

Quote:
The problem is, weed is illegal and it shouldn't be. Synthetic heroin - Oxy is still legal and doctors are creating many addicts.

Are you a PhD on this matter? Or perhaps you're writing your Masters on this topic? My point being, what credentials do you have to make this statement? My personal belief is that marijuana is a stepping stone to the "problem" drugs.
Old 03-27-2017, 11:52 AM

Quote:

Oxy has its purposes in medicine. Ask a trauma patient, ask someone who just underwent surgery. Pain is a medical problem and needs to be controlled.

Do not slander a profession because you think your weed should be legal.

How many times has a pain medications (oxy, morphine, codeine, etc.) got a patient through what would be a horrible traumatically painful procedure or injury?

How many times has weed done that?

Weed should be legal no question; but do not compare recreation with medical. It does not strengthen your stance.

Everyone has their poison. I think control is the best way. Removing it from criminal distributers is a positive. As I said everyone has their poison. Eliminate the illegal drug trade and you save the system lots of money by reducing overdoses due to impurities. The impurities are killing addicts; addicts are also people who have mothers and fathers who still love them.

Overdoses can occur the first time you try it; you do not need to be an addict. Again those PEOPLE have loved ones and had all the potential in the world. Suggesting them dying by overdoses is a good thing/Darwinism is pretty sad.

Weed legalization is a step in the right direction.
Old 03-27-2017, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteout View Post
The biggest issue with drugs is people turning to crime in order to feed their addiction and victimizing innocent people.
Doubt someone is going to smash your car window for your change so they can buy another joint.
They are usually to high to get off the couch and if they do they will go to the store to buy some Doritos and support the economy.
Hard drugs, probably. Weed, probably not

Reefer Madness
Old 03-27-2017, 07:00 PM
Banned

Default Legal weed.....

No big deal really as it will just be regulated and taxed much like tobacco and alcohol.

There will be other laws passed with regards to puffing and driving etc and you can count of a heavier crackdown on grow ops as the government would not want the revenue via taxes dilluted.

Will hard drugs also become legal....I highly doubt it.Will Canadian society break down into chaos because of legal weed?.....I doubt that even more.

Weed for the most part is pretty harmless with regards to criminality.You dont have potheads holding up convenience stores or assaulting people because they "need to get high".As for saying it is a "gateway drug" that leads to other things well the other things it leads to in general is mostly junk food and self injury due to stupidity which can be seen on fail videos on Youtube.

I used to consume weed and I got bored of it and quit....did it a couple of times....truth be told it is harder to quit smoking cigarettes.

It will get legalized and taxed and eventually it will end up like a pack of cigarettes sold at 7-11.Have to be old enough to buy it and the strength will be regulated and it will have health warnings on the packaging and it will be TAXED....and that "sin" tax will go up incrementally each and every year.

FTH
Old 03-27-2017, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
They can't prove smoking and driving yet but I bet there have been deaths from smoking and not driving right.....
Time will tell I guess.
I am not a fan of people that are high roaming the streets and under the influence but what people do at home I really don't care. Maybe the tax dollars collected from it all will build a new hospital or 2 so there may be a possitive! lol
Old 03-27-2017, 04:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
They can't prove smoking and driving yet but I bet there have been deaths from smoking and not driving right.....
Time will tell I guess.
It happened in our community about 5 or 6 years ago. A couple of young fellas heading out to go snowboarding crossed highway 44 and got T boned. Driver survived and passenger was decapitated. They had just smoked up and the driver forgot about the stop sign before crossing the highway. Very tragic and saddened everyone in town.
Old 03-27-2017, 04:50 PM

I knew a young lad that did pot and then whatever else was on the streets. He killed himself. Keep it to your own kids, mine are fine without it.
Old 03-27-2017, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
It happened in our community about 5 or 6 years ago. A couple of young fellas heading out to go snowboarding crossed highway 44 and got T boned. Driver survived and passenger was decapitated. They had just smoked up and the driver forgot about the stop sign before crossing the highway. Very tragic and saddened everyone in town.

Yes that can happen. It's not called "impaired" driving for lack of a better descriptor. Lack of sleep. Over the counter medicines. Lot's of things can cause impaired driving.

Common sense is a prerequisite with ANY substance/condition that can impair a person. Not all practice it.

What would you guess the impaired driving rate with booze vs pot might be?
Old 03-29-2017, 01:42 AM

I'm surprised to read so many vehemently opposed.

I don't see the downside.

This takes away the influence and power of organized crime, increases tax revenue, and makes it more difficult for minors to access.

Marijuana is already so available and ubiquitous and the social cost is so low that it makes no sense to waste money on prohibition and enforcement.

To those staunch opponents: large numbers of leaders, entrepreneurs, community builders, and people you would identify as role models are already using marijuana even though it's illegal.

If you were really interested in banning the substances that destroy lives and families you would be protesting alcohol and tobacco.
Old 03-29-2017, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltmania View Post

This takes away the influence and power of organized crime, increases tax revenue, and makes it more difficult for minors to access.

Marijuana is already so available and ubiquitous and the social cost is so low that it makes no sense to waste money on prohibition and enforcement.

To those staunch opponents: large numbers of leaders, entrepreneurs, community builders, and people you would identify as role models are already using marijuana even though it's illegal.

If you were really interested in banning the substances that destroy lives and families you would be protesting alcohol and tobacco.
Yup.
Old 03-29-2017, 06:03 AM

Quote:

And meth and coke and heroin Ect
Old 03-29-2017, 06:16 AM

Quote:

Dream on!. Organized crime wont even have a hiccup from the legalization of pot. They have plenty of other products they can work with. This is just more false propaganda from the fools that are promoting this as somehow "good" for society.

Last edited by jungleboy; 03-29-2017 at 06:21 AM.
Old 03-29-2017, 06:38 AM

The cost too end users in purchasing the product and tax will be expense.

Is there a long and short term plan in this for users.

One would only guess that the Government and huge corporations are going to become very wealthy in the next few years as CBC news broad cast mentioned that the first year will neet close to $1Billion in taxes alone.

Yuppers.

I"ll stay along ways away from this path as the out doors fills my prescription every day.

Don
Old 03-29-2017, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Why?

Crunch the numbers in any situation, and those that agree with the situation always think they have a higher following.

Not everyone has to get an artificial high, not everyone uses alcohol.

This is a battle that will never be won, the users feel they are right, the non users feel we are right.

Pot smoking Canadians feel for some reason they have won a little victory here, and maybe you have, with safer product, ease of access. Good for you.

Non using people though, and especially employers will be I think on higher watch for it's use, because once legal, some people are going to think they can do it anywhere anytime they like.

Legal battles to follow.

It is funny the proponents of this debate attack so vehemently, I thought you would be calm, relaxed.
Old 03-29-2017, 10:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Non using people though, and especially employers will be I think on higher watch for it's use, because once legal, some people are going to think they can do it anywhere anytime they like.
i'd like to hear you explain that further...

I'm not a user of any drugs, haven't even had a prescription in 25 years. But I'm a proponent for legalizing marijuana and pushing research on it at the very least.

I don't own firearms either, but I'm a proponent of them.

I'm not watching my neighbours to see who's smoking weed or carrying a firearm to their car. Really don't care what they are doing.
Closed Thread