Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-10-2018, 03:05 PM

Default Retirement and adjustments

Looking for what others have experienced and done for the winter months. Summer I am not concerned on.

I retired from full time work in July then took a four month contract to finish a very complex project. My old role had management of staff of 500 unionized workers plus an equal number of contractors. 60 / 70 hour weeks were common as was cutting vacations short due to work requirements.

Starting in Dec the honey do list started and is getting done quickly. My old schedule was up at 4:30 and gone by 5, home by 5 / 6 with a couple of hours at the desk after dinner. My wife retired about 5 years ago and her schedule is up at 11 and to bed at 1am. This is not my schedule as I have always been an early bird and adjusting to stay quiet around the house for the mornings is not me.

I did get a new pup to train which will help out once the days start getting longer and have set up a consulting practice to do 2 / 3 days per week as I am thinking I am not quite ready to drop being active in the work force. Both the social and technical aspects still have appeal. I do not miss handling all the HR stuff and I have now started sleeping through the night.
Old 02-10-2018, 03:40 PM
Banned

Retiring takes a period to transition, that happens to everyone that I have known. I retired after 27 years in the Military and it took me about two years to adjust. The first year i’d Plan the next day by the hour......

7am - 8 am.....Breakfast/read paper
8am - 12 am....Repair fence
12am - 1 pm....Lunch
1pm - 4 pm......wash/vacuum truck

My whole day/evening was scheduled like that and I stuck to the timings or it bothered me. Someone would drop by to chat and i’d Cut it short because I had to get what I was doing done by a certain time.

Eventually, I took off my watch and stopped planning the next day, other than casually thinking about things that needed to be done. Unless it was something urgent, if I got sidetracked and did something different I didn’t panic, i’d Do it the next day or the one after that. Retirement was so much nicer.

It takes time to adjust after decades of having a busy schedule. As long as you have something to keep you as busy as you want to be, and have a reason to get out of bed in the morning, you’ll unwind and adjust in time. That’s when life gets a lot more relaxed and fun. I’ve never had the problem of being bored and i’m The best boss that I’ve ever had.
Old 02-10-2018, 04:52 PM

Retired after selling my side drilling business to my partners early 2014, before crash. I did miss working with all the guys on rig, calgary, and just being in the loop. Now almost 4 years out. Still go to Calgary visit old contacts, have coffee, and beer. However I don’t miss it anymore. Do more with my community in Edmonton area. Been busy with investments, wife (took a little adjustment for me being home) and outdoor activities. Good luck.
Old 02-10-2018, 04:59 PM

Default Retirement

When you are retired, you don`t get days off
Old 02-11-2018, 04:12 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by antlercarver View Post
When you are retired, you don`t get days off
I prefer to think "every day is Saturday"
Old 02-12-2018, 08:58 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by StiksnStrings View Post
I prefer to think "every day is Saturday"
Except Sunday. That's the day after Saturday. Come to think of it, it's the day before Saturday.

Free (from harness)
Old 02-10-2018, 05:01 PM

First off congrats on your retirement.. I would say try make sure you have some hobbies to keep busy and get involved in community work younger people need the older to mentor them. If worst comes to worst and you are bored I have a list you can work on
Old 02-10-2018, 05:07 PM

Depends on your age

I was 46

Within 3 months I was working again. Only so much piddling around i could do.

But, now i kinda miss my 3 month “piddle around” time......
Old 02-10-2018, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
Depends on your age

I was 46

I am 66 and there is only so much piddling around I can do as well. I have lot's of hobbies I had put aside 20+ years ago for my career. I will be digging into these. As I am not a person to sit on the beach, I think the winter months will result in being back at a part time job of some type.

Last edited by 2 Tollers; 02-10-2018 at 05:46 PM.
Old 02-11-2018, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
Depends on your age

I was 46

A good friend of mine had a retirement from the military, a second from law enforcement. when I met him he was back in school getting a fourth degree in carpentry. His goal was to get skills to work on renovating his families cabin. After we graduated he ended up going back to work part time at Loews because he was bored out of his mind with nothing to do.
Old 05-27-2019, 08:25 PM

I retired from my day job in 2013 at the age of 52. I got bored quickly, so a few months later I told my wife that I needed a few animals to look after. I ended up buying 8 sheep.
6 years later there are over 200 sheep standing in our pasture....so much for retirement.

Craig

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-28-2019, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceedub View Post
I retired from my day job in 2013 at the age of 52. I got bored quickly, so a few months later I told my wife that I needed a few animals to look after. I ended up buying 8 sheep.
6 years later there are over 200 sheep standing in our pasture....so much for retirement.

Craig

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Some of us just need a Good reason to get out of bed every morning.

Grizz