Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-15-2010, 06:28 PM

Default Guys and Gals, some info on PAL's

This other thread about this fella getting charged while he was out shooting goophers/whatever without being the holder of a valid PAL/POL got me thinking......and I decided to share some stuff with you.

For most of you that KNOW, this will be a refresher and you do not need to read it as it is redundant for you.

For those of you who THINK you know, this is for you.

1)If you are alone and want to have a non restricted firearm with you, whether hunting or plinking, you need to have your valid PAL or POL with you. I mean with you. Not in the glove compartment, not at home in your drawer, WITH YOU.

2)If you do not have a PAL or POL and want to carry a non-restricted firearm, you can. But you must be within arms reach of a person who is the holder of a valid PAL or POL. He must have his PAL or POL on him. Check and make sure he does. See it. It's your ass on the line too...

3)If your non restricted firearms are not registered, that is ok. They do not have to be at this time. You now have until May 2011 to do so. If you have a registration card and want to carry it with you, fine. You can do that.

4)If you have non restricted firearms in your home, and no one in your family living with you has a valid PAL or POL, you should let someone with a valid PAL or POL take possession of your firearms until you get a PAL. Basically, you are unlicensed and in possession of firearms, which is illegal.

How would anyone find out, you ask?????

Let's say your home gets broken into and the bad guy gets your .22 rifle. The cops catch the bad guy and he tells them where he got the rifle. Cops visit you, find out you had the gun illegally, now you are charged too.....

Or.....your alarm goes off at your home and cops get there before you do. They clear the house and find your .22 sitting under the bed (because cops will check there for a bad guy ..... or in your closet.....)etc. You have no license, you get charged.

The bottom line is this: If you don't have a valid PAL or POL, you should not be in possession of any firearms.

I hope this helps. And I hope it eliminates the need for threads like

"Do I need a license if my rifle doesnt have a clip anymore"? .....or

"Do I need a PAL if I just want to take my dad's rifle to the neighbors to shoot gophers"? etc etc etc......

The Firearms Act is quite simple to understand....I mean really, it is, considering a bunch of no-brained Liberals created it, how tough can it be????
Old 04-15-2010, 06:35 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
This other thread about this fella getting charged while he was out shooting goophers/whatever without being the holder of a valid PAL/POL got me thinking......and I decided to share some stuff with you.

For most of you that KNOW, this will be a refresher and you do not need to read it as it is redundant for you.

For those of you who THINK you know, this is for you.

1)If you are alone and want to have a non restricted firearm with you, whether hunting or plinking, you need to have your valid PAL or POL with you. I mean with you. Not in the glove compartment, not at home in your drawer, WITH YOU.

2)If you do not have a PAL or POL and want to carry a non-restricted firearm, you can. But you must be within arms reach of a person who is the holder of a valid PAL or POL. He must have his PAL or POL on him. Check and make sure he does. See it. It's your ass on the line too...

3)If your non restricted firearms are not registered, that is ok. They do not have to be at this time. You now have until May 2011 to do so. If you have a registration card and want to carry it with you, fine. You can do that.

4)If you have non restricted firearms in your home, and no one in your family living with you has a valid PAL or POL, you should let someone with a valid PAL or POL take possession of your firearms until you get a PAL. Basically, you are unlicensed and in possession of firearms, which is illegal.

How would anyone find out, you ask?????

Let's say your home gets broken into and the bad guy gets your .22 rifle. The cops catch the bad guy and he tells them where he got the rifle. Cops visit you, find out you had the gun illegally, now you are charged too.....

Or.....your alarm goes off at your home and cops get there before you do. They clear the house and find your .22 sitting under the bed (because cops will check there for a bad guy ..... or in your closet.....)etc. You have no license, you get charged.

The bottom line is this: If you don't have a valid PAL or POL, you should not be in possession of any firearms.

I hope this helps. And I hope it eliminates the need for threads like

"Do I need a license if my rifle doesnt have a clip anymore"? .....or

"Do I need a PAL if I just want to take my dad's rifle to the neighbors to shoot gophers"? etc etc etc......

The Firearms Act is quite simple to understand....I mean really, it is, considering a bunch of no-brained Liberals created it, how tough can it be????
Thank You for posting that, and the Amnesty doesn't mean you can legally have an unregistered gun, just means you will not be charged for having one uintil May 2011 BtW, your post will likely get edited because u said A*** the guy is around!!!
Old 04-15-2010, 07:47 PM

Good reminder. I'm still surprised at how many people don't know the difference between licensing and the registry. Unfortunately most of them are the politicians that make the laws in our country.
Old 04-15-2010, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post
Good reminder. I'm still surprised at how many people don't know the difference between licensing and the registry. Unfortunately most of them are the politicians that make the laws in our country.
It amazes me actually.......

Almost every CFSC course I run has one person who, prior to the course, says;" So, do you think this gun registry is gonna go thru????"

And I have to tell them it has been around for 14yrs......

I find that some people have no idea about their rights, the laws, and their responsibilities, until they get in a jam.....
Old 04-15-2010, 09:23 PM

And usually not even then, judging by the fact that the most our fellow who got caught with his gopher gun seemed to be worried about was getting the gun back.

Frans
Old 04-15-2010, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frans View Post
And usually not even then, judging by the fact that the most our fellow who got caught with his gopher gun seemed to be worried about was getting the gun back.

Frans
Should be the least of his worries for sure.....