Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 12-04-2014, 06:36 AM

Default Gay straight alliance

O.K. so I am old and really do not know what the term gay straight alliance means. I goggled it and it says to help gays feel more safe and comfortable in schools. So I still do not know what it means how can you be gay and be straight or is it just a mixture as it is now or what gives?
Old 12-04-2014, 06:47 AM

It's a group of people who are either gay or straight coming together to help end discrimination
Old 12-04-2014, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
It's a group of people who are either gay or straight coming together to help end discrimination
so that sounds good to me
Old 12-04-2014, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
Well, certain discrimination anyway.
Old 12-04-2014, 07:44 AM
Banned

This is like a gateway drug.
Old 12-04-2014, 08:19 AM

Default Gay straight alliance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
This is like a gateway drug.

Good way to put it. Prentice is right, it is divisive. Don't join the club? You will be shamed, you Muggle!

They tried to slip it in under the anti-bullying laws a few years back. The insidious thing was that the fine print. For instance, if you would dare teach your own children that there is something morally wrong with sexual deviancy, you could be subject to being brought before a human rights tribunal (which is a very scary thought, since it's not even a proper court of law, but they can still mess your life up).

Of course the media forgot to mention that part.

There was a pro-family rally a few years back that I witnessed. The LGBT supporters showed up in force (even Phair showed up) and did their best to disrupt the meeting, even going so far as to try to storm the steps of the Leislature and force the (elderly female) speaker from the lectern.

I couldn't help but think "who is the bully here?"

Last edited by Stinky Buffalo; 12-04-2014 at 08:28 AM.
Old 12-04-2014, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
Good way to put it. Prentice is right, it is divisive. Don't join the club? You will be shamed, you Muggle!

They tried to slip it in under the anti-bullying laws a few years back. The insidious thing was that the fine print. For instance, if you would dare teach your own children that there is something morally wrong with sexual deviancy, you could be subject to being brought before a human rights tribunal (which is a very scary thought, since it's not even a proper court of law, but they can still mess your life up).

Of course the media forgot to mention that part.

Putting aside ones notions surrounding GSA's, it's an awesome political move on the PC's part, because this is totally taking focus away from the exposure our failing health care system was getting earlier this week!

They usurped some Liberal members bill with some hastily written crap, and the media is all over it. Meanwhile, the Misericordia needs to be rebuilt from the ground up, the Royal Alex is woefully neglected, the Grey Nuns is a joke, the hospitals in Calgary are not much better, and rural healthcare facilities are a shambles.

I predict a February election, before the budget hits the fan (low oil price) and we get a sales tax foisted on us, while corporations and oil/gas companies continue to syphon huge dollars out of province, to their shareholders.

"Look, voters! Something Shiny!" (buncha suckers....works every time)
Old 12-04-2014, 09:40 AM

Quote:
...I couldn't help but think "who is the bully here?"
Yup.

Ben Shapiro wrote a book called "Bullies". This is one of the groups that he addresses.

It's a good read, very interesting.

NRA/NFA Supporter and "...gun toting tea party psychotard..." -
Old 12-04-2014, 09:58 AM

Quote:
. The insidious thing was that the fine print. For instance, if you would dare teach your own children that there is something morally wrong with sexual deviancy, you could be subject to being brought before a human rights tribunal (which is a very scary thought, since it's not even a proper court of law, but they can still mess your life up).

Please enligten us. What exactly IS in the "fine print" of the legislation? There is nothing about your "for instance" in the legislation. Nobody is making you or your kid do anything.
Old 12-04-2014, 09:57 PM

Quote:
I've been in several schools and residences that had gay/straight alliances that I never joined. I never felt pressured to join, and their existence never negatively impacted me.

Quote:
There was a pro-family rally a few years back that I witnessed.
What does "pro-family" mean? Anti-homosexual?
Old 12-04-2014, 07:16 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by artie View Post
O.K. so I am old and really do not know what the term gay straight alliance means. I goggled it and it says to help gays feel more safe and comfortable in schools. So I still do not know what it means how can you be gay and be straight or is it just a mixture as it is now or what gives?
I think Porposes feel safer in schools also,,,Salmon too !
Old 12-04-2014, 07:36 AM

Can someone explain why we need legislation for this purpose. I don't want to debate lifestyle choices, just wondering what the purpose of a law is?
Old 12-04-2014, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blgoodbrand1 View Post
Can someone explain why we need legislation for this purpose. I don't want to debate lifestyle choices, just wondering what the purpose of a law is?
It seems we need legislation for everything these days. The PCs, I think, were trying to please most people on this issue without forcing those that are against GSAs in their schools to comply. The late night amendment pushed it a bit farther, but still not far enough for some folks. That is my take on it, anyway.

Saving one animal won't change the world, but the world will change for that one animal!

Old 12-04-2014, 09:54 AM

Quote:
I THINK the law dictates that if students want to form such a group, and the school administration blocks it, there is a right of appeal set up.
Old 12-04-2014, 09:59 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
I THINK the law dictates that if students want to form such a group, and the school administration blocks it, there is a right of appeal set up.
Pretty much...

http://globalnews.ca/news/1707292/al...ff-opposition/

Quote:
The new bill does not. The government bill, called the Act to Amend the Alberta Bill of Rights to Protect our Children, instead allows students who are prohibited from forming GSA by their school boards to ask the Court of Queen’s Bench for a judicial review.
Old 12-04-2014, 10:03 AM

Default Their own club ..

So what I see here is the removal of one the great rights of passage
In high school , the beating up of the effeminate guy or the nerdy
Coloured guy . I just don't see how adolescents will develop into
Upstanding citizens , taking their place in our society if those traditions
are removed . Once again the Govt trespassing on your God given
rights . Unfortunately we are seeing the demise of the true right
Wing Leader . Canadians are stuck with Left , Lefty and Lefter .
Remember according to Herr Prentice ,all opinions are valid .

Isn't it sad that Brian Mason is no longer head of the Communist
Party because he appears to be the only politician that has a real
Handle on the situation . A return to the 1940,s .....sad because
I don't look good in Brown .
We are nearing Manitoba levels of Political Nutness ....a total Zoo .
Old 12-04-2014, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winch101 View Post
So what I see here is the removal of one the great rights of passage
In high school , the beating up of the effeminate guy or the nerdy
Coloured guy . I just don't see how adolescents will develop into
Upstanding citizens , taking their place in our society if those traditions
are removed . Once again the Govt trespassing on your God given
rights . Unfortunately we are seeing the demise of the true right
Wing Leader . Canadians are stuck with Left , Lefty and Lefter .
Remember according to Herr Prentice ,all opinions are valid .
Best post to date Winch. God, I hope age hasn't destroyed your sense of sarcasm. You were being sarcastic, right? LOL
Old 12-04-2014, 10:21 AM

Sort of depends on why administration said no

Like any other club in a school a group of students have to collect some names and get a teacher to volunteer, and boom they have a club.

So a valid no would come if there was no teacher to volunteer no club standard policy that all clubs have to abide by.

Other than no volunteer I don’t actually see any public school saying no.

This is specifically to put the gun to the head of religious private schools where it would be a hard sell. This is the further abolishment of freedom of religion
Old 12-04-2014, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Being gay or straight is not a choice! So when your rights are infringed upon for being gay because people think it's a poor "choice" there needs to be a law to protect them and grant them the same freedom everyone else expects and enjoys.
Old 12-04-2014, 11:41 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortaction View Post
Being gay or straight is not a choice! So when your rights are infringed upon for being gay because people think it's a poor "choice" there needs to be a law to protect them and grant them the same freedom everyone else expects and enjoys.
It doesn't matter whether or not it is a choice, we have freedom of choice here in Canada. There is no need for this, we already have anti-bullying legislation in place to protect our youth, if they want to form a group they can, why does it have to be such a big production?

This is yet another form of segregation, not an alliance as they so conveniently named it. How about we keep creating new legislation to make sure each person can be leader of their own sub-country living in our so called country, that way nobody will have any problems ever....
Old 12-04-2014, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Being gay or straight is not a choice!
Really? Scientists would seem to disagree with you there. But I'm sorry lets not detract from the OP's original post, can we?
Old 12-04-2014, 11:47 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackwolf View Post
Really? Scientists would seem to disagree with you there. But I'm sorry lets not detract from the OP's original post, can we?
Do tell... How does science prove that being gay is a choice? I don't know any straight people that woke up one morning and decided to be gay?
Old 12-04-2014, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdoctor View Post
Do tell... How does science prove that being gay is a choice? I don't know any straight people that woke up one morning and decided to be gay?
Well, I could almost bet that I would be inundated with negative responses. I can almost hear the "he's a Homophobic". If you knew me you would know I'm not. Which is why I said this thread cannot detract from the OP. If you really want to.... start another thread.
Old 12-04-2014, 12:34 PM

Quote:

I see you missed the part about not wanting a debate on the merits of homosexuality.
My question was simply what the law is for and why it is that we need another law.
I'd be much more inclined to get excited about laws protecting my rights as hunter, fisherman, and outdoors enthusiast.
Old 12-04-2014, 02:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Which is opinion!
Old 12-04-2014, 02:31 PM
Banned

http://martinprosperity.org/2012/09/...ian-is-canada/

So how much of Canada is actually gay?

Why are we PANDERING to this. Isn't it enough to say everyone is EQUAL?

Oh right, they want more than equality.
Old 12-04-2014, 02:35 PM

wow, that map shows same-sex couples, not everyone who is gay. nice try.
Old 12-04-2014, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by connexion123 View Post
http://martinprosperity.org/2012/09/...ian-is-canada/

So how much of Canada is actually gay?

Why are we PANDERING to this. Isn't it enough to say everyone is EQUAL?

Oh right, they want more than equality.
what's this "more then equality" concept the LGBT community is after. could you please explain this in detail? Saying everyone is equal is not the same as treating everyone as equals.

yes I do think certain segments of the population are far to quick to drop the discrimination word when they feel slighted, but really it is the smallest groups that face the most discrimination and have to cry louder then anyone else in order to be heard.

We learn from history that we do not learn from history. - Hegel

Your obligation to fight has not been relieved because the battle is fierce and difficult. Ben Shapiro
Old 12-04-2014, 03:01 PM

My problem is, we are not allowed opinions!
If I don't agree with homosexuality I am wrong. Live and let live, but don't rub my face in it, but every day here it is. I have family friends and coworkers who are gay, their life! Good people and keep it to themselves.
Let's have a "straight pride parade' oh that's homophobic but lets have a gay pride parade with the city's mayor as the marshal and it has to be okay.
In Calgary we have all kinds of 'pride' days and all go okay, because they have to, but what happens when we have white pride marches? Violence and protests.
We also have to sit back as history is changed, the government changed the name of a mountain, because it was racially offensive. A high school in Calgary changed the name of their sports team because the name could be deemed offensive though it hasn't been in over 30 years.
I was married to an Indian, but you can't say Indian. They are Aboriginals, First Nations etc yet they carry Indian Status cards that allows the 'ever so sweet' hunting rules of their own. They get discount gas and smokes under the Indian Excise act, and in the hunting/fishing regs they follow under the Indian Act. They are called Indians in the States, but not here. They get to wear cool Native Pride hats but if I wore a White pride hat....
It is a crazy world, I can't seem to keep up. I believe in live and let live, but don't force your crap on me telling me I have to agree or I'm wrong.
And last but not least, it is Merry CHRISTmas.. and always will be!!!
Old 12-04-2014, 03:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by connexion123 View Post
Which is opinion!
Show us one peer reviewed and accepted study published in a recognized journal that shows different.

Hint: You won't find it.
Closed Thread