Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-28-2012, 05:31 PM

Exclamation ***DO YOU RECOGNIZE THESE PEOPLE?*** Dog Walkers on Nose Hill Park Calgary

Do you recognize these people?? I believe they are a husband and wife, with two black Sheppard cross dogs.

At around 4:30 today (sept28) I was walking my black lab up on nose hill, as I often do. Coming down a hill, in an off-leash area, we were heading back to the parking lot along John Laurie Blvd near Brisbois drive.

Duke was about 4 feet from me, walking behind me. One of the black dogs saw Duke, and raced after him from about 35yds away. Instant attack. Duke was yelping, and getting his butt kicked and the second dog joined in on the attack. I was yelling and swinging my leash at the dogs to get them off of Duke.

This was a full on fight, no dominant play about this whatsoever.

The Owners were still a good 30yards away, and I’m yelling at them to keep their dogs on a leash if they can’t control them. The guy had the gall to say they didn’t attack Duke. I said I was standing right here, and they could hear plainly what was going on. This was no play fight, it was an instant aggressive attack.

The guy tried to say that his dog has ‘herding’ tendancies. I said BS and to keep his dog on a leash. Then it dawned on me, this is the same dog that attacked Duke totally unprovoked a few weeks ago. Then at that point, I pretty much became unglued. I am normally a very calm person, and I hate confrontation, but I was really yelling at the guy. They made NO apologies, and only put one dog on a leash as you can see in the photo. I don’t think they even had two leashes with them, which leads me to believe they know the one dog is a problem. I had the clarity of mind to take these two photos for reference.

A few weeks ago (can’t remember the date), I was walking Duke back to the same parking lot, on the paved pathway (an on-leash area) and this same dog instantly attacked duke (who was on leash). Their dogs were off-leash. It was pretty brief, and I just scowled at the couple and didn’t say anything at the time. When I got home, I noticed blood all over our kitchen floor. The dog had nearly punctured through Duke’s ear, and he was bleeding a fair bit, with another puncture wound in his side.

Today Duke doesn’t seem to have any punctured skin, and he was like ‘what the hell was that all about?” For those that have seen photo’s of Duke here on AO, and met Duke, he’s a very mellow lab who loves to play and greet all dogs. We work hard at keeping him well trained, and I believe we are responsible dog owners.

This is the second attack by the same aggressive dog. If you recognize these people, try to get a license plate for me. I am wanting to file a formal complaint with 311, but without a plate or some other form of identification, I can’t do anything other than share these photos.

I gave my business card to a PCL crew working on the trail, and explained the situation and showed them the pictures. This was just before he gave me the finger.

Hopefully AO comes through and these dummies will be forced to keep their dogs on-leash if they can’t keep them under control.

If you see this couple with their dogs on Nose Hill, be careful they don’t attack your dog too. Even if you don't know these people, if you read this thread, I'd appreciate a bump to maximize the number of AO members reading this.

Thx

Last edited by Albertadiver; 09-28-2012 at 05:40 PM.
Old 09-28-2012, 05:54 PM

He appears to be related to Randy from Trailer Park Boys.

Its likely they walk there often enough you could stake out the parking lot at similar times & days to when you saw them previously. People are creatures of habit, and apparently these ones are habituated to being azzwads.
Old 09-28-2012, 05:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
He appears to be related to Randy from Trailer Park Boys.
cheeseburger locker.

Did you call the cops?
Old 09-28-2012, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGuy View Post

Did you call the cops?
Cops won't come for stuff like that. Did think about calling bylaw, but I had my dog with no injuries, other than the scar from the previous attack, and my word against two. And bylaw response on a Friday afternoon is just steller I am sure.

If I get a call from the p c l workers, or get a pm from someone that has had a similar experience then I will make a formal complaint.

I will be watching for them as I am up there nearly every day.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:12 PM

Pack a can of bear spray, use it on the dogs not the guy. Treated dogs will run an amazin' distance.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco View Post
Pack a can of bear spray, use it on the dogs not the guy. Treated dogs will run an amazin' distance.
That'd probably land me in jail for just spraying the dogs! Gotta love common sense. I may research the legalities, but I highly doubt a bylaw officer would support using bear spray in city limits. If there was ever a use for it, today was a good example.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:22 PM
Gone Fishing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco View Post
I second this for sure. A shot of spray for the dogs and if Mr. Asshat gets stupid... well just sayin'!
Old 09-28-2012, 06:12 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post
Cops won't come for stuff like that. Did think about calling bylaw, but I had my dog with no injuries, other than the scar from the previous attack, and my word against two. And bylaw response on a Friday afternoon is just steller I am sure.

If I get a call from the p c l workers, or get a pm from someone that has had a similar experience then I will make a formal complaint.

at the very least, get a hold of National Geographic....you may have found the "missing" link.....
Old 09-28-2012, 06:22 PM

i like the bear spray idea, wont hurt them but its self defence, how would you know if they were going to attack you next.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:22 PM

This seems to be an example of an effective treatment and preventive measure:

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2...62126-sun.html

It's not like they're gonna charge you with carrying a concealed foot/Meindel/Hanwag, etc. But x2 on the bear spray, it'd work on the others if they get aggressive after Fido's get educated.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:21 PM

Quote:

Try placing an add on Kijiji.... that might help identify them
Old 09-28-2012, 07:19 PM

Quote:

Sure they will. My neighbor twice had A 500.00 fine for an aggressive dog at large from the rcmp. I know because I called.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:27 AM

Quote:

The problem lies in the fact that you didn't report it. As far as the legal point of it the situation didnt happen if it wasnt documented. Sometimes its not an offence that can be charged the first time but if documented then if or more likely when it happens again it shows a pattern that can then be followed up on.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:40 AM

so have you seen the problem owners up there lately
Old 09-28-2012, 06:50 PM

I woulda pulled out my knife and that dog would of been done. Especially when it was un provoked . I know you well enough to kn you a very level headed un angry person . And take your word for what you say . Very upstanding person in my books .

None the less that dog would of been dead let the douche bag call the cops .
Old 09-28-2012, 07:21 PM

I would set out a cheese burger trap, I doubt the owner of the dogs could resist.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:38 PM
Banned

I broke a neighbours dogs jaw with my work boots several years ago when it attacked our beagle when we were walking it down our street. Ours was leashed, his wasn't. I kicked it so hard I hurt my foot, the guy freaked out and his wife was doing the same. I said too bad, back off or you get it too. they called the cops, the cops came to my house asked a couple of questions and left. Our beagle was ok but they were stuck with over $1500 in vet bills. Leash your pets or pay the piper. I hope your pooch is Ok, chubby fatgutsky in the picture looks like an attitude case. Call bylaw.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:50 PM

Awww man, Poor Duke!!! I love that dog! I would've had a hard time not kicking that douchebags teeth in. Before I even read the post, I just looked at the picture and thought "what a goof".

Our lab is the same way. Love EVERY dog he comes in contact with. Anyone who brings an aggresive dog to an off-leash park needs a swift attitude adjustment.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:04 PM

if I'd be you those dogs would be dead
Old 09-28-2012, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Do you recognize these people?? I believe they are a husband and wife, with two black Sheppard cross dogs.

Thx
Hope you catch the jerk
Old 09-28-2012, 09:31 PM

Good tips all. (Especially the pink dog spray - thx SH )

I don't want to harm anyone else's dog. BUT I will protect myself and my dog if need be. Now that I really know these dogs, if/when it starts it's run, it'll be stopped by my boot, or stick, or dog repellent.

I just don't want this to happen to other peoples pets, as this couple is totally unnapologetic for thier actions. Not really the dogs fault, it's the poor training of the owners. My bet is that this is a repeat offender with other dogs as well. Maybe someone reading the board thinks things are familiar and we can get together in approaching bylaw.

As for video evidence etc. This happened so fast, in both instances that it would be hard to run a camera. I'd be busy stopping the fight. It's a public park, and all should enjoy, but some need to keep dogs on thier leash.

Duke likes to play all the time at a dog park, but there is huge difference between dogs running around playing and chasing, than this 'red zone' attack that happened.

I'm not walking around looking for a fight, and to be honest, I'm pretty surprised and embarrased at the language I used and my behaviour. I was very near to hitting the guy, which is NOT my nature. Something just twinged when I realized it was the same dog that darn near bit through Duke's ear on a previous engagement. A 'first time incident' would never have gotten that reaction out of me.

I know there's two sides to every story, and I'm always saying that here on AO when someone rants like I'm doing. In this case, I'm sticking to my side of the story! I'm biased, can't help it.

Here's the evil instigator himself...

And up at Nose Hill....

Old 09-29-2012, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Personally, rather than packing a big canister of bear spray and make it look like you were expecting/looking for trouble, I'd just pack a small canister of dog repellent.
Went to pick up a small can of bear spray so my wife would feel more comfortable walking the dog because of coyotes and the odd aggressive dog here in the citys' off leash areas and the girl at the counter mentioned that there might be legal issues about carrying bear spray and recommended a canister of dog spray. Much smaller and easier to use than the bear spray canister, also much easier to put in the pocket than a coke sized can of bear spray. Available at Wholesale Sports.
Old 09-29-2012, 10:26 AM
AvayaAce

Stupid Animals = Stupid People......Bear Spray the owners!!
Old 09-29-2012, 10:28 AM

Don't got to an off leash! These things can always happen with dogs.
Old 09-29-2012, 10:48 AM

Do you have a go pro camera, perhaps a good investment if a repeat happens.
Plus as a few good shots of you dog as well, if their dogs or they cause a problem a video will provide proof, and the fact that you have one will likely be a check and balance to prevent you acting unresablie.
A heavy cane or a nice heavy walking stick is another option.
Old 09-29-2012, 10:58 AM

Hmm surprised ww hasnt commented yet about how its your fault for not having control over your dog. Been in the same situation down here in leth, p!sses me off when *****hats like that bring there dogs to places like off leash parks
Old 09-29-2012, 09:15 PM
Banned

Didnt read all the pists or if suggested but their dogs are obviously kenel bred, so find a local afficianado of the breed and solicit kenels for help,, but in a friendly manner not mentioning dog attacks and such as it could make a kennel jittery.
Old 09-30-2012, 12:04 AM

I have a little dog, window warrior. In public he is a normal little guy, very friendly, would not hurt a flea. When we walk he is interested in other dogs but I tell him NO and he listens. I keep him on a leash when we walk, just to ensure the safey of other dogs. When we encounter bigger dogs I am the first to react, rein him in. If the other dog is leashed, no problem. If the other dog is not leashed I step in front of my killer dog and intercept, the altrication.
Just kidding, it has happend that a bigger dog is not leashed and is aggesisve, I do step in front of my killer. I would not hestiate to kill something that is threating a part of my family. When my wife walks him, she has a walking stick with her. Said walking stick , has a small nail in the end of it. Small pain in the bigger dog and he is gone. If these people don't realize their animals are a threat they need to see the results of the actions of their dogs. I would not hesitate to kill the aggesive dogs. If the owners needed a little attiude ajustment, so be it.
Old 09-30-2012, 12:20 AM

"Window Warrior".........I love it! Gots me one too.
Old 09-30-2012, 12:33 AM

I too have a pair of small dogs, as well as a lab. The lab has the brains and training to heel properly, the little dogs are all 'go' when they get off leash. This is why they stay leashed when we take them to the dog park, while the lab runs loose.

A couple years, we were doing just this, when I felt my westie hit the side of my leg. This is odd, he's the type of dog that will pull so hard his front legs lose contact with the ground. I turned to him, to see what he was running from, when I spotted a large rottie cross bearing down on him with teeth bared. I did my best Lui Pasaglia impression, and caught the dog square in the chest, hard enough to set his ass on the ground. Shortly after, a first generation Canadian, of the female Asian variety appeared, and proceeded to chew me out for kicking her dog. I pointed out that if it has aggression issues, it needs to be leashed, and that if I hadn't kicked her dog, circumstances would have been much worse for all of us.

My westie must have felt his pride was compromised, because a few weeks later, he got into it with a Great Pyrenees and managed to somehow grab its throat without taking any damage. There was nothing the Pyrenees could do. Fortunately the "white rat" as we call him, only bit for effect. Being that we were already friends with the other owners, we inspected our dogs for damage, then laughed it off.

Tags
calgary, dog walker, john laurie blvd, nose hill park