Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-25-2020, 08:40 PM

Default Underwater camera help

Looking for opinions on two cameras. The Aqua vu revolution 5 pro and the marcum pursuit. The marcum has very few reviews on it as it’s newer. Hoping for some hands on opinions on these two.

Cheers
Old 11-25-2020, 08:51 PM

I think you're going to be disappointed trying to use an underwater camera in Alberta. Our pothole lakes are usually too cloudy to see much. And by the time the algae dies off, the ice is too thick to allow much light to penetrate. YMMV.
Old 11-25-2020, 09:00 PM

Cant offer advice on either one but i have marcum camera and sounder and they have been very reliable . I personally would go with a marcum product .
Also , visibility is not great on a lot of lakes but i have never regretted getting a camera , especially if you have younger anglers around and you get into a school of perch .
Old 11-25-2020, 09:42 PM

Looking for something small and portable. I have heard bad things about the marcum recon but the pursuit looks like the ticket. Just pricy.
Old 11-25-2020, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertanGP View Post
I think you're going to be disappointed trying to use an underwater camera in Alberta. Our pothole lakes are usually too cloudy to see much. And by the time the algae dies off, the ice is too thick to allow much light to penetrate. YMMV.
Biggest reason is seeing bottom composition and weed lines. Not going to be searching for fish as much with it as looking at bottom. Lakes I fish are relatively clear too
Old 11-25-2020, 09:58 PM

Just bought a Marcum pursuit last week , should be here any day and will let you know how it goes.
Old 11-25-2020, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by litwin View Post
Just bought a Marcum pursuit last week , should be here any day and will let you know how it goes.
Appreciated.
Old 11-25-2020, 11:12 PM

Have an aqua vu. Fine during day in my shack. Tougher to see on the ice in the open. Useless after dark looks like a snow storm. Haven't really been in more than 10 feet of water.
Old 11-26-2020, 04:19 PM

Honestly....for what it's worth....my $150 eyoyo is every bit as good as my buddies aqua view side by side. Going on 4 years and not one issue. My battery even lasts longer than his.
These pics are not from any kind of a clear water lake either....just a typical north central alberta pothole lake that's full of algae every summer.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 11-28-2020, 09:54 AM

Default MarCum Pursuit

Here is a photo capture from the MarCum Pursuit , will upload the video later.

https://ibb.co/ZJJjMgS

The unit very compact, the screen is small but has the option for adding an additional screen. Absolute excellent camera and so far the battery life is amazing for it being so small. Captured about 2 hours of video and the battery still shows almost full charge.

The annoying thing is that the video files are split up into 3 minute individual files.
Old 11-28-2020, 10:38 AM

Quote:

The unit very compact, the screen is small but has the option for adding an additional screen. Absolute excellent camera and so far the battery life is amazing for it being so small. Captured about 2 hours of video and the battery still shows almost full charge.

The annoying thing is that the video files are split up into 3 minute individual files.
Much appreciated. Surprised their isn’t much out there for reviews. Specially reviews that aren’t by people sponsored by marcum. I am leaning this way. Was hoping to see some sales on Black Friday but none to be found.

Thanks for sharing.
Old 11-28-2020, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remps17 View Post
Much appreciated. Surprised their isn’t much out there for reviews. Specially reviews that aren’t by people sponsored by marcum. I am leaning this way. Was hoping to see some sales on Black Friday but none to be found.

Thanks for sharing.

Funny you mentioned reviews, I am setting up a channel to start reviewing the gear I have bought this year. For now I have uploaded a couple temporary videos from the MarCum Pursuit camera.

I turned off the video overlay options for depth and temp. These videos are in 12 to 16 feet with 6 inch clear ice on a partly cloudy day.

https://youtu.be/52yjCwQczRM
https://youtu.be/6u5K_d-xKfQ
Old 11-30-2020, 12:09 PM

I was inspired to get some underwater footage from my Marcum VS485C camera. I bought a video capture card and used the video out jack on the camera to record some footage.

This was Wabamun on the weekend. Overcast day, a couple inches of snow on the ice but the water was fairly clear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXZC...gTheoryAngling

If you watch the video through you can see the colour change quite often to adapt to the light conditions. I found it a bit distracting but the camera software is just trying to optimize the image.

My lure is about 4 feet away and I think you can see 12-15 ft in the distance and make out whats going on.
Old 12-09-2020, 12:56 PM

Quote:

Hey there Litwin,

My Marcum Pursuit arrived today, I just wanted to give you a heads up that you can change the video length up to 15 minutes I believe. It is under video setting.

Have not got the camera out on the ice yet bet should be getting out this weekend. I attached it so it sits directly above my helix. Should be a good 1,2 punch for hole hoping and scouting.