Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 10-29-2019, 06:04 PM

Thumbs up Government Workers Wage Rollback

So, I guess I’m one of the targeted people as a result of the government cutbacks or at least their proposal. Personally, it’s kinda a kick in the teeth since my cost of living has gone up exponentially since my last wage increase over a decade ago. Don’t get me wrong! I am blessed to be working! I’m not in a worse situation like others are experiencing.
By NO means am I a staunch Union person but taking away rights of people in this way is just wrong. There are contracts that were signed in good faith.
I know most think that if you work for the Govt, your overpaid. The disclosure list released for transparency contains anyone over $100k a year. Why not start at the top? Rather than the middle class that always seem to take the brunt.

It’s sad times for many in this once so proud and robust province. My thoughts are with you all who are struggling. I still have much to be thankful for.
FHD
Old 10-29-2019, 06:12 PM

Tough times and my heart goes out to you. But better to have wage rollbacks than layoffs is my opinion and books needed balanced.
Old 10-29-2019, 06:38 PM

Honestly here is a real unpopular opinion around here but I'll be the first to say it: most gov't workers are not overpaid to begin with. Only for real specific positions that only exist in gov't orgs and entry level/unskilled positions do government jobs ever really pay better than a comparable private sector job. Of course the robust benefits and pension come into play, which essentially levels it off, but still as you move up the ladder with experience and education, the private sector can be much, much more lucrative.

Some are definitely underworked at their position but they're still showing up for their shift, so in the end its not their fault they're doing little. Not being able to adjust a workforce on the turn of a dime like a private corp does when restructuring can tend to mean work disappears but the position continues to exist and a person still collects the paycheck for it. The hiring freezes do a good job of slowly moving these people either into retirement or allowing those into positions with actual work to do.
Old 10-29-2019, 06:42 PM

Lots of economists have talked about this but rollbacks usually don’t solve much in the big picture. More of a perception thing. Effort usually gets rolled back too and that’s no good.
Old 10-29-2019, 06:50 PM

OP, I feel for you, it's never nice to take a cut...but the reality is that all of us experienced the increases in cost of living, and pretty much everybody I know in the private sector has had to take major cuts in the last 4 years, both in wages/salary and in hours. And there is generally no pension or benefits to be had when you are self employed. Losing a couple points sucks...what about when business is down 65% since 2014, like mine? I'm making a living, but not getting ahead really at this point (not complaining, I have investments that have done well, that's a different topic).

Anyway, I feel your pain, but honestly you are just experiencing the pain of the private sector. Be thankful for work, it could be worse.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 10-29-2019, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
OP, I feel for you, it's never nice to take a cut...but the reality is that all of us experienced the increases in cost of living, and pretty much everybody I know in the private sector has had to take major cuts in the last 4 years, both in wages/salary and in hours. And there is generally no pension or benefits to be had when you are self employed. Losing a couple points sucks...what about when business is down 65% since 2014, like mine? I'm making a living, but not getting ahead really at this point (not complaining, I have investments that have done well, that's a different topic).

Anyway, I feel your pain, but honestly you are just experiencing the pain of the private sector. Be thankful for work, it could be worse.
X2! I’m self employed and work in the service side of drilling. I’m making 60% less per job than I was in 2014. Need to work twice as hard to make half as much. The company I subcontract to would love to pay us more but to get the work they need to cut the bids big time. Living and paying the bills but not squirrelling away a ton
Closed Thread