Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-18-2021, 07:23 AM

Default New 135gr .257 bullets

New product out for the 1/4 bore. https://bergerbullets.com/product/25...hybrid-target/ pretty exciting stuff can’t wait for a hunting variant. With black Jack Berger and hammer bullets there’s starting to be a pretty good selection of heavy 25 cal bullets bringing some excitement back into this classic caliber.
Old 01-18-2021, 07:51 AM

Interesting, thanks for posting!
Old 01-18-2021, 08:24 AM

Very interesting. This could up the game for my 25-06 but I am not sure I want to mess with my 120 grain nosler load. lol
More options is always good and finding out what these could do should be fun.
Thanks for posting
Old 01-18-2021, 08:44 AM

If you have a rifle built with a fast enough twist, this may be a good option, but most current factory rifles don't have a fast enough twist to stabilize it.
Old 01-18-2021, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
If you have a rifle built with a fast enough twist, this may be a good option, but most current factory rifles don't have a fast enough twist to stabilize it.
having a barrel swapped is like changing tires on a truck its not very intrusive and don't cost a lot.
Old 01-18-2021, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubious View Post
having a barrel swapped is like changing tires on a truck its not very intrusive and don't cost a lot.
Many people paid less for their rifle, than a replacement barrel costs.
Old 01-18-2021, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Beat me to it.

To the OP and others;

If you have a fast enough twist barrel to stabilize it, can you explain how it increases the effectiveness of, let's say a 25-06, over 450yds? I've never found a good 115gr or 120gr bullet lacking at those ranges on deer and antelope.

If the barrel twist is fast enough, it (135gr Berger) would be easier to make the 25-06 a long range target competitor with the Creedmoor.

The developers of these cartridges knew a thing or two about ballistics, even if they didn't have computers 100 years ago.
Old 01-18-2021, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB2506 View Post
Beat me to it.

To the OP and others;

If you have a fast enough twist barrel to stabilize it, can you explain how it increases the effectiveness of, let's say a 25-06, over 450yds? I've never found a good 115gr or 120gr bullet lacking at those ranges on deer and antelope.

If the barrel twist is fast enough, it (135gr Berger) would be easier to make the 25-06 a long range target competitor with the Creedmoor.

The developers of these cartridges knew a thing or two about ballistics, even if they didn't have computers 100 years ago.
does it need to increase the effectiveness? some people like different things if it was all about "effectiveness" everyone would shoot the exact same bullet in the exact same cartridge and manufactures wouldn't produce anything else, im not trying to change anyones mind here its a new interesting product on the market for PRS focused on 25-06 and 25 creed I would enjoy a barrel set up for target shooting and hunting in a heaver bullet in 25 cal.