Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-09-2009, 06:29 PM

Default Bumping the shoulder on cases

If I have a 4X or 5X fired case that no longer fits in my chamber, and I neck size after each firing, is it because the shoulder has grown forward, or the body of the case has gotten progressively tighter? So if I am neck sizing with my FL die, and the case no longer fits in my chamber, can I simply lower my die a couple of thou. until the case fits my chamber, or do I need to FL size the body as well?
Old 06-09-2009, 06:56 PM

I'm no handloader (my Buddy does mine) but 4 or 5 times with the same brass and I'd say you're done.....time for new brass.

tm
Old 06-09-2009, 07:03 PM

HeyTM. This brass is for a 7-08 and with fairly light loads and annealing the necks, I'm hoping for at least twice as many firings as that. That being said, I've never pushed brass (especially hot loads, or for the magnums) past that 4 or 5 times fired. I've just always wondered if I am shorting myself on some brass life. Maybe your right. I'll see what kind of consensus we get from everyone out there.
Old 06-09-2009, 07:10 PM

Bump till it fits.
Old 06-09-2009, 07:11 PM

Coldredneck does mine but I'm usually pretty drunk when I leave there and don't remember much

Some teacher

Good thread......I was watching it and no one chimed up so time for a free bump

I'm outta here for 4 days so if you could bump it back to the top for Sun nightshift I'd appreciatte it

tm
Old 06-09-2009, 07:22 PM

Thanks Chuck. That's kind of what I thought. I just picked up some Hornady tools to measure case growth before and after firing, I just haven't put them to use yet. Hopefully with them I can measure a little more accurately how much exactly to move the shoulder with the die. I just wasn't sure if it was only a shoulder issue or a whole case growth issue.
Consider a Sun. btt a done deal TM
Old 06-09-2009, 07:34 PM

If you are neck sizing your brass & you are firing it in a bolt action, it may be time to trim your cases. If the neck becomes stretched ic can be hard to close an action.

Go to your loading manual & see what the case length shoud be. Trim accordingly.

rogue