Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-28-2014, 12:19 PM

Default Momma's getting a flashy rig for Christmas but I need some help please!!

My wife loves to shoot. And she's damn good! But she won't hunt.( not a big deal at all). Looking to build her a girly blinged out 223 target rifle before December.

First I need an action and bottom metal as I have specific needs for the barrel and stock. But as the entire build revolves around the action I need this first. Looking to save some $$$ here as she may only shoot 50-100 rounds/year. I have heard of quite a few building very accurate rifle around the axis action. I would like to stay in a stainless if possible. As always the 700 is an option too.

The barrel I have figured out with either action.

The stock is being difficult for me tho. I would like a pink/black or pink/grey laminate thumbhole that will ship to Canada, or even better....can be purchased in Canada.

This will be the girliest rifle anyone I know has ever seen and I am actually excited about the build. I know this sounds corny but I really enjoy the fact that the wife and I can spend some time together with a mutual interest, yet when I need some "me" time I can just go hunting. My kids are starting to take an interest as well although they are pretty small yet. But it gives me hope!

Thanks in advance for any help!
"I have always tempered my killing with respect for the game pursued. I see the animal not only is a target but as living creature with more freedom than I will ever have. I take that life,if I can with regrets as well as joy, with the sure knowledge that natures way of fang and claw or exposure and starvation are a far crueler fate then I can bestow."- Fred Bear
Old 07-28-2014, 01:00 PM

The wife will be happy.

Are you going to go for a fluted or spiralled barrel, or bolt?
Leupold custom shop makes scopes with anodized tubes in all kinds of colours.
A top quality well-tooled leather sling would add to the sensory experience.
Old 07-28-2014, 01:19 PM

Spiral fluted with the flutes painted pink to match the stock. Rings will be girly as well. I can't divulge all my secrets. Lol I'm sick of buying her guns and her saying "you're just saying it's for me! You know you're gonna shoot it more!" And her being right! Lol sold them all but her 20ga. There will never be a sling on this one as she will never pack it. She will just shoot along side me while I warm up the barrels on the rest of my arsenal. Lol
"I have always tempered my killing with respect for the game pursued. I see the animal not only is a target but as living creature with more freedom than I will ever have. I take that life,if I can with regrets as well as joy, with the sure knowledge that natures way of fang and claw or exposure and starvation are a far crueler fate then I can bestow."- Fred Bear
Old 07-28-2014, 01:22 PM

You better get at it if you want it by Christmas. Sourcing all the parts and finding a competent gunsmith to chamber and assemble can take much longer than planned. I know guys who have been waiting well over a year just to get a barrel, not including finding a gunsmith who doesn't have a year backlog ahead of them.
Old 07-28-2014, 01:38 PM
Banned

have you looked at boyds stocks they have some girly colors
Old 07-28-2014, 05:24 PM

Yeah, I'm pushing savages again. For a target rifle there's nothing wrong with either the savage or the remington. You could probably find a used savage 10 or 16 for the same price as an axis. Stainless as well. Don't know about stocks, but how about pink leather sling blinged out with a bedazzler.

Colin.
Old 07-28-2014, 05:54 PM

http://www.camodipkit.com/patterns-camo.htm

http://www.mydipkit.com/index.html

something to think about... I've always wanted to try one of these. Few different girly patterns to choose from

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire