Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-01-2014, 09:52 PM

Default Proper placement of bear spray........

I went on a hike with 5 women north of waterton park. After hiking for a bit we realised that each person had one thing that the others didnt, such as a first aid kit, gps, bug spray, more then enough water, extra food and bear spray. I made a comment about the spray being in the bottom of the pack.... Turns out it was. To cut the story of most of our hike ill leave it out, However I did get some good pics of the dog and of the scenery lol.

As we were coming of the ridge and back down into the valley a very nicely colored red phase blackie crossed an opening as we came around a corner. It was about 70-80yrds away. As soon as I seen it I called my dog over to leash her, hollered at the other dog to get his attention, then called out bear, bear. Blew on my training whistle a few blasts. The girls were freaked out, the girl with the spray was panicking trying to find the can. (knowing it was a younger bear, roughed it at 3-4 years old. Also with a black bear chances were VERY slim of anything happening)

After the bear stood up and a couple more whistle blasts it moved off, just as the girl says "there got the spray!!!"

I looked her straight in the eyes and said "Annnnd nooowwww your dead"

I know that it was a blacky and chances of anything bad happening was slim, I was more concerned about the dogs and having them chase the thing. But all 5 of these girls I dont think any of them have seen anything other then deer for wildlife lol, so they were very freaked out. Coulda been a way different story had it been a grizz with cubs.

Anyways the moral of the story is if you carry bear spray MAKE IT ACCESSIBLE!

Not everyone carries spray, I dont yet but will one day. If you do, having it in your pack even in the main pocket easy to get at, if you take your pack off...... wear the belt or the sleeve on the packs main strap.
Old 07-01-2014, 10:03 PM

Interesting that you posted this today, I just picked up a fresh can of bear spray this afternoon as my existing one is a few years old now. I was thinking it would be good to take my old can along on our next outing and do a bit of target practice as well as a tutorial for the Mrs. I'd find an isolated spot for this, not near any popular areas or game trails or such.

X2 for having it on your hip, vest or cargo pocket of your pants.
Old 07-01-2014, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
Interesting that you posted this today, I just picked up a fresh can of bear spray this afternoon as my existing one is a few years old now. I was thinking it would be good to take my old can along on our next outing and do a bit of target practice as well as a tutorial for the Mrs. I'd find an isolated spot for this, not near any popular areas or game trails or such.

X2 for having it on your hip, vest or cargo pocket of your pants.
I did that with one of my old cans this year - I was surprised at the force of the release. That and, in spite of being careful to spray downwind, I managed to catch just a little tiny bit of it. Wow, that stuff is strong!

I always carry mine in a holster - that way, I can even slide it onto my wading belt.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor

Last edited by alacringa; 07-01-2014 at 10:22 PM.
Old 07-01-2014, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alacringa View Post
I did that with one of my old cans this year - I was surprised at the force of the release. That and, in spite of being upwind, I managed to catch just a little tiny bit of it. Wow, that stuff is strong!

I always carry mine in a holster - that way, I can even slide it onto my wading belt.
Maybe I should bring it to wing night and see who wants to volunteer as test targets in a green space by the river?
Old 07-01-2014, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
Maybe I should bring it to wing night and see who wants to volunteer as test targets in a green space by the river?
To bad your in calgary I would almost pay to see that, but it being wing night and outta town beer would get in the way lol
Old 07-01-2014, 10:28 PM

if you're testing those out, do it at the end of your hike because I've been told it can attract bears if not used correctly.
Old 07-01-2014, 10:29 PM
Banned

I found a can dropped by surveyors in a cut block, several years ago.

I sprayed some to see what would happen...who wouldn't?

Still sprayed well and some of the mist drifted onto an old tarp.

Clearly I couldn't resist giving it a taste test.

Well...

I gotta admit...

It wasn't too bad. Bit of a cayenne flavour and would probably go well on the bbq.
Old 07-01-2014, 10:27 PM

I carry mine in its holster on my right hip. From my estimation and practice, I figure it should take about 1-3 seconds to unholster, unlock, aim and fire. Whether or not that is sufficient time, I hope I don't have to find out.
Old 07-01-2014, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Noel View Post
I carry mine in its holster on my right hip. From my estimation and practice, I figure it should take about 1-3 seconds to unholster, unlock, aim and fire. Whether or not that is sufficient time, I hope I don't have to find out.
Normaly I have a knife on each hip, both fixed blades. Only cause if I ever get taken down its not gonna happen on both sides. May not be the best approach but it beats walking around with steaks tied to my ears lol
Old 07-02-2014, 12:20 AM

I have heard many keep it on the hip or chest.
Not sure what I will do when I get a can. I see the hip as being an accessible place, but maybe not the best for aiming and shooting from without removing the can. The chest may work well for just deploying from there without removing, but may get some mist in the face...I'd take that kind of collateral damage over getting attacked any day though.

Another story of it not working well sitting in a bag...

I was searching for my brother's water bottle in the vehicle. I could not find it anywhere, so I figured it must be in his pack. I was lazy with the zipper and didn't open it up much more than my hand could fit through. While I was squeezing the "water bottle" through the small opening, I had inadvertently knocked out the "lock" from under the trigger and then touched off the trigger on its way past the zipper. It sprayed me right in the front of the neck, chin, cheek, and ear on one side of my face. Luckily missed my mouth and eyes! It literally took my breath away for a few seconds. Burned like nothing else I can describe. I was gasping and coughing for a good 15 mins. Got home about 2 hours after the spray and washing it was worse on the skin than the initial spray (the sinuses and eyes and lungs definitely burned more from the spray though) Spent an hour in a cold shower while my wife was googling all the remedies and helping me out. My skin was sensitive (kinda felt like a blistered sunburn) for a couple of weeks.
Makes us all laugh thinking about it to this day.

Wouldn't choose to experience it again, but it certainly satisfied some curiosity.
Old 07-02-2014, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winger7mm View Post
Normaly I have a knife on each hip, both fixed blades. Only cause if I ever get taken down its not gonna happen on both sides. May not be the best approach but it beats walking around with steaks tied to my ears lol
I'd take bear spray over a knife when it comes to bear defence anyday.
Old 07-02-2014, 05:19 PM
Gone Fishing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Noel View Post
If this is the same Steven Noel from Club Tread.. you should never need to use bear spray cause the old bruin will never catch you,lol.