Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 09-12-2015, 09:17 AM
AO Sponsor

Default American Wolf Trapper

Now here is a real wolf trapper! And a true expert in the field.
Old 09-12-2015, 09:51 AM

Cool picture!
Old 09-12-2015, 09:56 AM
Banned

Tell us more? - Looks interesting
Old 09-14-2015, 10:16 AM
AO Sponsor

Guy was hired to kill this pack, so not just a free for all on multiple wolf packs. This guy hunted and trapped this pack until they were no more. Obviously necessary as the pack was inflicting serious damage on livestock.

So not just take the easy, the willing and stupid but staying the course until the job was finished. I don't know what order he caught them or when the dominate pair was taken, just that he had to pursue them relentlessly until they were no more.

So this is what America's #1 canine trapper looks like in a grainy old flip phone image!
Old 09-14-2015, 10:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S View Post
Guy was hired to kill this pack, so not just a free for all on multiple wolf packs. This guy hunted and trapped this pack until they were no more. Obviously necessary as the pack was inflicting serious damage on livestock.

So not just take the easy, the willing and stupid but staying the course until the job was finished. I don't know what order he caught them or when the dominate pair was taken, just that he had to pursue them relentlessly until they were no more.

So this is what America's #1 canine trapper looks like in a grainy old flip phone image!
Tell us more. Where, when, how long did it take him, how much did it cost. I'm curious because I've dealt with wolves and a trapper taking out an entire pack is almost impossible, I've never seen it done before. Packs always split up once they get hammered in my experience, especially if one of the parents is killed. It's certainly true you have to take out the entire pack or the problem just gets worse. This is fascinating to me.
Old 09-14-2015, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gboe8 View Post
Cool picture!
x2
Old 09-14-2015, 11:46 AM

Yes would like to hear more info on this if u have some. I find it interesting. Nice pic even if it a lil grainy lol
Old 09-14-2015, 01:08 PM

Thats truely amazing thanks for sharing Marty
Old 09-14-2015, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret coulee View Post
Thats truely amazing thanks for sharing Marty
It is what it is
Old 09-14-2015, 07:19 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by coy coyote View Post
It is what it is
It wuz what it wuz?

Last edited by Marty S; 09-14-2015 at 07:31 PM.
Old 09-14-2015, 07:31 PM
AO Sponsor

I just stuck the photo up cause it's such an awesome photo, a little mystique to it even. Funny that it was taken a few years ago on a crappy flip phone. A modern iPhone would have taken a much better picture.

This guy doesn't want his name broadcasted all over the Internet, I'm quite certain of that. But I believe this guy is the most advanced canine killer the USA has ever seen, and like no contest! Yes a seemingly arrogant statement, but "arrogance" in a statement isn't arrogance if the statement is true! I do realize the likes of people who have achieved high in the USA. He is a full time year round trapper. I think he was hired specifically to do this wolf pack one winter.
Old 09-15-2015, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaClipper403 View Post
A real trapper wouldn't use a quad or gun.
#NotOldSchool
here we go

Let's see your trappin pics please
Old 09-15-2015, 10:25 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
#NotOldSchool
Wrong my new friend, a real trapper uses his brains.
Old 09-16-2015, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Wrong my new friend, a real trapper uses his brains.

AMEN Marty.
Old 09-16-2015, 07:22 AM

Default Trapper

i have never seen a trapper without a gun.
Old 09-16-2015, 11:55 AM

Cool picture. Thanks for posting. It would make an interesting story, that's for sure.
Old 09-17-2015, 07:16 AM
AO Sponsor

I got in contact with him to ask a little more, the obvious questions. How did you get them, how many trapped/snared vs shot. I mistakenly assumed that he had shot a few from a plane and trapped the rest, possibly even hit a few with M-44s. How wrong I was!

This pack of wolves had been in a specific area and were doing extensive stock damage the word extensive being an understatement! as the wolves had done about $200,000 damage in livestock value. This pack of wolves had been named "The Phantom Pack" as the government guys showed up and tried to kill them, and tried for 2 years to get them but for some reason unknown to me these guys couldn't do the job and they got zero! Funny eh? Two years and got zero! (I heard a funny story similar in SW Alberta once! minus the flying) So they contracted my friend.

His job was to kill all 13 wolves and he couldn't use a plane as in his words, "it was all dark forest, I couldn't use the plane". He was dealing with a pack that had been highly educated as the g-men had been harassing them for two years. He used traps, snares, and calls, taking 5 with traps, 4 with snares and called and killed the other 4 with the rifle, and he did the job in 7 weeks!

No aircraft and no poison used!

I say congrats, and well done my true friend! This is a true accomplishment!
Old 09-17-2015, 08:13 AM

Quote:
I got in contact with him to ask a little more, the obvious questions. How did you get them, how many trapped/snared vs shot. I mistakenly assumed that he had shot a few from a plane and trapped the rest, possibly even hit a few with M-44s. How wrong I was!

This pack of wolves had been in a specific area and were doing extensive stock damage the word extensive being an understatement! as the wolves had done about $200,000 damage in livestock value. This pack of wolves had been named "The Phantom Pack" as the government guys showed up and tried to kill them, and tried for 2 years to get them but for some reason unknown to me these guys couldn't do the job and they got zero! Funny eh? Two years and got zero! (I heard a funny story similar in SW Alberta once! minus the flying) So they contracted my friend.

His job was to kill all 13 wolves and he couldn't use a plane as in his words, "it was all dark forest, I couldn't use the plane". He was dealing with a pack that had been highly educated as the g-men had been harassing them for two years. He used traps, snares, and calls, taking 5 with traps, 4 with snares and called and killed the other 4 with the rifle, and he did the job in 7 weeks!

That's very impressive!!! Congrats to your friend on his success, not a feat many could accomplish
Old 09-17-2015, 08:40 AM

That is too cool, just goes to show what can be done if you put in the effort!!
Old 09-17-2015, 09:25 AM

Quote:

really cool, thanks for the follow up!
Old 09-17-2015, 10:58 AM

Strange he wants to be so secretive and unknown yet quite willing to SELL his ( this ) poster/print of the exact picture that was posted in post #1 for 46.99 to anyone who wants one. Just click on the photo in post #1 . I don't know ????? Other purchase option are a canvass wrap or a metal print. He seems quite commercial, not shy.
Old 09-17-2015, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhunter51 View Post
Strange he wants to be so secretive and unknown yet quite willing to SELL his ( this ) poster/print of the exact picture that was posted in post #1 for 46.99 to anyone who wants one. Just click on the photo in post #1 . I don't know ????? Other purchase option are a canvass wrap or a metal print. He seems quite commercial, not shy.
Dude thats too funny. Let me guess your first time on photobucket?
Old 09-17-2015, 11:41 AM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhunter51 View Post

Looks like I need a new photo hosting site.

Last edited by Marty S; 09-17-2015 at 11:48 AM.
Old 09-18-2015, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drake View Post
really cool, thanks for the follow up!
indeed ... great story
Old 09-18-2015, 08:51 AM

Quote:

Good stuff Marty. What everyone here seems to often miss on here is the point of this. Its not how much did it cost, how exactly was it done, what are cows actually worth....Its the fact that a paid for (and likely very expensive) government program failed. THEN they bring in the lowly trapper who quickly does what others could not. It is stories like this that better us as a group, not the other way around.

On a side note, kudos to that guy! Taking out a pack of wolves is no small feat. What people don't realize about wolves is that you teach the entire pack every time you put up a set. You have to be incredibly crafty and knowledgeable to fool them all (gun or trap, or both, I don't care).

Spruce
Old 09-18-2015, 10:47 AM
Banned

Yep - math, logistics, reality, sure is easy for some, not so much for others.
Old 09-18-2015, 01:11 PM
AO Sponsor

i don't believe you tex
Old 09-18-2015, 04:46 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
#NotOldSchool
Than what does one use?

Great picture and nice haul of wolf pelts.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 09-18-2015, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Than what does one use?

Great picture and nice haul of wolf pelts.
Snow shoes and a sledge hammer I guess haha
Old 09-19-2015, 02:46 AM

Seems some new trolls have come out for a little sunshine before heading back under their bridge.

Really neat story Marty, and the follow up information.
Thanks for sharing!