Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-23-2024, 09:18 AM

Default Killing wolves works

I guess the idea of killing off all the moose in a region to save caribou has finally been put to bed. Imagine that the natives and Outdoorsmen were actually correct, killing wolves saves ungulates.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canad...e7963c9&ei=143
Old 04-23-2024, 09:31 AM

Agree.

I am friends with a trapper who's line is in Caribou country. He told me of a wolf cull program(no poison) that's been pretty effective the last few years and along with the help of trappers etc, there is a slight gain in all ungulate populations a few years after the culls began. That's good to hear. I have hunted near the south Bou range and there were lots of wolf packs back then. Noticeable moose decline due to a few factors but wolves were a big part.

Add to that, the non producing gas field infrastructure has been pulled out, its back to wild spaces. And it won't be too long and all the cut/pipe lines will eventually start to grow over. Sounds like a win.
Old 04-23-2024, 11:08 AM

Well in is about time for biologists to realize that wolves eat our caribou. If you have high wolf population then caribou will not survive.
Old 04-23-2024, 11:13 AM

Any of the caribou herds in AB or BC are extant remains from the last ice age, and should be allowed to die out. It happens all the time in nature, animal can't adapt they die out. Killing all the wolves is not the answer, cause then prey populations explode, and they all eventually die out from starvation.
Old 04-23-2024, 11:27 AM

I'm shocked there is a group of government sponsored biologists that can grasp and acknowledge the correlation between a (cute & fuzzy) predator species and their prey. That's not a Disney approved belief.

Here's hoping this revelation is contagious within their discipline.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 04-23-2024, 12:28 PM

It took a long time but I'm glad to see it's finally being acknowledged that wolf populations are too high and need to be reduced.

Next, reopen the grizzly hunt as well to get numbers back in check.....
Old 04-23-2024, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubz337 View Post
Any of the caribou herds in AB or BC are extant remains from the last ice age, and should be allowed to die out. It happens all the time in nature, animal can't adapt they die out. Killing all the wolves is not the answer, cause then prey populations explode, and they all eventually die out from starvation.
Pretty sure moose and caribou populations aren't at risk of exploding any time soon.
Old 04-24-2024, 10:03 AM

Quote:
The bad news is we're fixated that Nature should remain static, that's not acceptable to people.

Isaiah 5:8
Old 04-24-2024, 04:14 PM

Quote:
I think this is 100% false and there were probably more caribou in AB and BC than whitetail deer in 1900. It's our (industry's) fault that the wolf population has been able to easily access and kill the caribou so I think it is also our responsibility to remove some wolves and allow the caribou herds to thrive.

As for the ungulates overpopulating to the point of starvation, I think that is about the dumbest thing I have ever heard on this forum. Waiting 10 years for a moose, mule deer buck or antelope tag tells me that we have plenty of hunters willing to take out any surplus critters and if we can't find hunters, just lay off the wolves for a few years and they'll have the same effect on the ungulates here as they've had in Yellowstone.

Gerry Burnie
Old 05-01-2024, 06:18 AM

Quote:
I'm pretty sure that is what trapping and hunting is for , conservation and regulating the population on both .
Not as many trappers controlling predator numbers because of low fur pricing .
If we control the predator ,the ungulate numbers rise allowing for more food on our tables and less of the draw system BS.
There's no starving in the wilderness !!!!