Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-16-2012, 11:00 AM

Default No using OHV until noon for hunting

Can anyone explain the origin of this law? A bunch of us can't figure out why it came to be. You can carry a rifle on an OHV after noon but not before. Is it to allow time for the coffee to work? Anyone?
Old 10-16-2012, 11:11 AM
Gone Hunting

I would guess it went something like this.

The majority of hunters were 1. driving around in their pick ups or 2. leaving a road early and walking into an area to hunt. (OHV users in the am could bother both these groups.)

Then along came OHVs (a blessing and a curse for outdoorsmen). Many started doing there "road hunting" from the seat of their ATV. The fellows walking into a remote area in the early morning resented their hunt being disturbed by someone riding around on an ATV. The fellows on their truck seats would be jealous that the OHV riders were getting an advantage over truck hunters.

I am not sure if there was a resolution from AF&GA for the OHV regulations or if it came from Fish & Wildlife as a result of hunter complaints. Maybe wildlife managers figured all the OHV use was disturbing wildlife and they wanted to restrict it. Maybe they thought it would increase hunter success and then they would have to reduce seasons and bag limits???

Archery Sept. 1 - Oct. 31 Muzzleloader and Crossbow Oct. 1 - Oct. 31 Rifle Nov. 25 - Nov. 30

...And HIS kingdom shall have no end...
Old 10-16-2012, 11:31 AM

IMO, it should be extended to prohibit carrying a firearm between 6 p.m and the following noon.

Some guys are lately motoring into hunting areas at 4-5 am and waiting for dawn. Dumb idea and all that pre-dawn racket and smell does is ensure that nobody gets an animal from a place where it's easier to manage.
Old 10-16-2012, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky7 View Post
IMO, it should be extended to prohibit carrying a firearm between 6 p.m and the following noon.

Some guys are lately motoring into hunting areas at 4-5 am and waiting for dawn. Dumb idea and all that pre-dawn racket and smell does is ensure that nobody gets an animal from a place where it's easier to manage.
x2 that would be a great idea.
Old 10-16-2012, 03:26 PM

same rule should apply to horses imo.
Old 10-16-2012, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by podman View Post
Why?

Don't argue with a fool, he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation Alberta
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA

Old 10-16-2012, 03:41 PM

Quote:

Bahahahaha man I hope your not serious.

Maybe they should just make it so no one can hunt till noon...lol
Old 10-16-2012, 03:42 PM

Quote:
No access to horses I am guessing?

LC
Old 10-16-2012, 03:31 PM

Quote:

I disagree, the guys that get an animal down late in the day and are getting it out would be breaking the law.

Don't argue with a fool, he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation Alberta
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA

Old 10-16-2012, 03:53 PM
Banned

Quote:

Why do you say this Rocky,, are ATV's affecting your hunting,, and if so how ?? I just don't get people,, its not their way so they want everyone to stop it.. How do machines scare away animals,, sorry it doesn't happen. Some of the most game rich area's in this province are right in the middle of farm land, land that is worked over daily with machines,, how do machines affect it. Look around Spirit River, Peace River, Grand Prarie all that reagion. SRD is just about begging people to go shoot a cow elk in some of these regions, you can get cow elk draws with 0 or a 1 priority. The area I hunt and have hunted for years now and down the Chin,, area's that have had quad use for over 20 years now are game rich. All through the Lac La Biche, Athabasca, Wondering River region,, whitetail deer hunting at its best in the country all areas hunted by quads for over 20 years.. You show me hard evidence where quad use has made a huge effect on game,, please. There are things at play that have a much larger effect on game than quads,, Ticks on moose, harsh winters on deer, predators like wolfs because of lack of trapping and snow in the winter, habitat loss these are things that hugly effect our game not quads.

Look at our board for example, look at the amount of game that is being displayed over the last few weeks, and we are just getting started in the season and thats just this board,, where is the problem with game and the problem quads are causing ?? where ???

I hunt in many ways, foot, quad, truck what ever it takes and depending on the game I am pursuing, I will not condem any person for hunting legaly in what ever fation they please. MORE RETRICTIONS ON HUNTING IS THE LAST THING WE NEED IN THIS PROVINCE. Why is it so hard for people to understand this.

These rules are put in place so that those who want to walk can enjoy half a day of peace and quite and hunt the way they want, then after they had their day of enjoyment, the people that enjoy a quad hunt can enjoy themselves.. Why is it so hard for our comunity to get along,, I just can't figure this one out.. Bicker, bicker, bicker,, what a mess..
Old 10-16-2012, 04:14 PM

To be fair to hunters on foot, and to the critters, is the way I understood it from way back when.

TBark
Old 10-16-2012, 04:25 PM

Smile

It's an unfair advantage and ruins it for people hiking in and scares game away. Horses are not noisy like atv's or utv's, plus they are generally going at a slow pace vs racing around loudly at 50 mph. One or two atv ripping around can ruin it for alot of hunters. I agree with Rocky, atv's should only be allowed to go to camp and to retrieve game, for recreational use, and not to be used before noon.
Old 10-16-2012, 04:30 PM

[QUOTE=Walleyes;1652330]Why do you say this Rocky,, are ATV's affecting your hunting,, and if so how ?? I just don't get people,, its not their way so they want everyone to stop it.. How do machines scare away animals,, sorry it doesn't happen. *snip*QUOTE]

2 weeks ago I was waiting for a buck to turn so I could have a better shot. A guy on an atv rode by and scared this buck off. If I can scare a deer off by breaking a twig, an atv can scare it off by riding by. Thanks for making me laugh though!
Old 10-16-2012, 04:37 PM

It is proven that road or trail use by quads, trucks or whatever displaces game away from the habitat along the road. Certain animals are more sensitve to this type of disturbance like grizzlies and goats while animals like whitetails not so much. Article in AO I believe on this very thing affecting grizzly habitat use.
Old 10-16-2012, 04:41 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=Stupid Deep;1652381]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyes View Post
Why do you say this Rocky,, are ATV's affecting your hunting,, and if so how ?? I just don't get people,, its not their way so they want everyone to stop it.. How do machines scare away animals,, sorry it doesn't happen. *snip*QUOTE]

2 weeks ago I was waiting for a buck to turn so I could have a better shot. A guy on an atv rode by and scared this buck off. If I can scare a deer off by breaking a twig, an atv can scare it off by riding by. Thanks for making me laugh though!
Junior I'm not talking about scaring them off emediatly,, of course it can I am talking permenatly or out of an area. The point you make about scaring an animal off by breaking a twig is exactly what I am talking about. Regardless if you are on foot, on horse or on a machine if you spook an animal its gone or its not just depends on the situation. I would much rather be in my tree stand and have someone come along on a quad than come along on foot. If they come on a quad they are here and gone in a couple minutes the game forget, if they are walking it may take them 15 - 20 minutes to clear the area of their noise and scent.. I can't begin to remember all the game I have saw or takin while using or around a machine,, and thats not an exageration.. Sorry I have just had to much experience with the whole thing to be told any differant.

And PS,, been at this game for over 30 years now and have lived in the woods my whole life,, the woods are my life trust me you ain't going to give me a lesson on game habits..
Old 10-17-2012, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATF View Post
Can anyone explain the origin of this law? A bunch of us can't figure out why it came to be. You can carry a rifle on an OHV after noon but not before. Is it to allow time for the coffee to work? Anyone?
who ever scribed it forgot to consider those hunting cougar. why restrict a cougar hunter to after noon as their activity actually protects biggame populations .