Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-27-2024, 08:12 PM

Default Grassy Mtn. Coal Project not dead yet.

Looks like The Australian owners of the Grassy Mtn. open pit coal mine in the Crowsnest Pass haven't given up the fight after having their application rejected repeatedly. Energy Minister Brian Jean has determined their proposal should be exempt from a moratorium on coal development on the eastern slopes which most Albertans supported, so their re-application will be reviewed by a panel of hearing commissioners, who will probably be well rewarded for making the "right" decision this time round.

https://calgaryherald.com/business/a...0b6359cd5/amp/

With severe draught conditions already acknowledged for the Oldman River watershed and most of Southern AB., can't understand how can they justify granting a huge water license to a project of this scale. Nevermind the massive amount of selenium pollution this project will dump into the environment.
Old 02-27-2024, 08:21 PM

Corb Lund’s take on Brian Jean…..

https://www.yukon-news.com/national-...upport-7322024
Old 02-27-2024, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post

He should just stick to singing!!
Old 02-28-2024, 09:18 AM

If you want a perfect example of why the dippers remain viable, here it is

Jean is a loser who was rejected by Albertans twice. He had a temper tantrum and quit mid term. Came back and lost the leadership campaign, yet somehow ended up in a very visible position of power. Why? Old boys club at work.

The mine is foreign owned, insanely destructive, was rejected by Albertans, and will provide an endless supply of narratives and photo-ops to attack conservatives, with no long term economic benefits that could ever outweigh the watershed risks and inevitable taxpayer funded clean up costs. Why? Someone in Dani’s circle got paid Australian dollars, without a doubt. Corruption, yet again.

Not a dang thing learned from four years in the woodshed.
Old 02-28-2024, 10:06 AM

In south west Alberta there is a ton of people working in sparwood BC coal mine because its only employer that pays anything. If that mine ever closed you could cowboy or farm if you had the skills but other than that nothing is going to really pay you a living wage.
There are a lot of small towns in SW Alberta that would be ghost towns if government ever quit propping them up.
People keep moving here and no jobs for them. Lot don't even have a drivers license.
I understand wanting jobs. But overstocked now with wrong type of people. Every person that moves here from Calgary or Africa means more water consumption which we dont have.
I don't understand why people keep moving here because nothing for them.
Old 02-28-2024, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post

Jean is a loser who was rejected by Albertans twice. He had a temper tantrum and quit mid term. Came back and lost the leadership campaign, yet somehow ended up in a very visible position of power. Why? Old boys club at work.

The mine is foreign owned, insanely destructive, was rejected by Albertans, and will provide an endless supply of narratives and photo-ops to attack conservatives, with no long term economic benefits that could ever outweigh the watershed risks and inevitable taxpayer funded clean up costs. Why? Someone in Dani’s circle got paid Australian dollars, without a doubt. Corruption, yet again.

As in many cases nowadays the minority is the most vocal so to say the mine was rejected by Albertans is a pretty big stretch. Corb sings a good tune but should keep it at that. Akin to taking climate advice from Leonardo..

I'd still like to see a mine on corkscrew like has been the talk for a long time as would a majority of the locals I suspect. Good for the economy and might even be big sheep living there in a few years when the operating company starts the reclamation (not sure why you believe it would be the taxpayers)
Old 03-15-2024, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
As in many cases nowadays the minority is the most vocal so to say the mine was rejected by Albertans is a pretty big stretch. Corb sings a good tune but should keep it at that. Akin to taking climate advice from Leonardo..

I'd still like to see a mine on corkscrew like has been the talk for a long time as would a majority of the locals I suspect. Good for the economy and might even be big sheep living there in a few years when the operating company starts the reclamation (not sure why you believe it would be the taxpayers)
very true
Old 02-28-2024, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post

UCP is obviously onside with the go ahead as Brian Jean is the one who re-submitted the application and may be the chief beneficiary. So that leaves it up to the Feds. to step in and block it, for which they'll be soundly attacked from all sides for intruding on AB's jurisdiction to protect the environment.

The royalties are currently only 1% of gross profit until capital payoff, then 13%, but the damage done and the scars left on the land will be eternal. There seems to be a huge disconnect about things that are important nowadays and things that are not, "blinded by the light"....and the light is money.
Old 02-28-2024, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strait Shooter View Post
UCP is obviously onside with the go ahead as Brian Jean is the one who re-submitted the application and may be the chief beneficiary. So that leaves it up to the Feds. to step in and block it, for which they'll be soundly attacked from all sides for intruding on AB's jurisdiction to protect the environment.

The royalties are currently only 1% of gross profit until capital payoff, then 13%, but the damage done and the scars left on the land will be eternal. There seems to be a huge disconnect about things that are important nowadays and things that are not, "blinded by the light"....and the light is money.
You forget about the local economy. Willing to bet many of said would welcome the chance at $45/hour to run a haul truck. $45/hr jobs have a tremendous trickle down effect.
Alberta would be just another Manitoba if it wasn't for it's resources. Use em'

Nimbyism is just a synonym for hypocrite
Old 02-28-2024, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram crazy View Post
He's not even good at that.

Isaiah 5:8
Old 03-15-2024, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram crazy View Post
Yup!
Old 02-28-2024, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post

Idk about you but I always go to washed up singers for natural resource and economic advice.
Old 03-13-2024, 05:27 PM

Is Alberta not exporting much coal or are they giving it away?

You know what they pay here in Aus?

My state is only a little larger population then Alberta and here’s last year

That’s straight up royalties and doesn’t include the thousands of high paying jobs, taxes, economic stimulation etc.
Old 03-13-2024, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiloil37 View Post
Is Alberta not exporting much coal or are they giving it away?

You know what they pay here in Aus?

My state is only a little larger population then Alberta and here’s last year

That’s straight up royalties and doesn’t include the thousands of high paying jobs, taxes, economic stimulation etc.
Yay?
Did you add up Alberta's royalties?
Old 03-14-2024, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
Did you add up Alberta's royalties?
No, you’re the one throwing numbers around. They seem low so that’s why I asked “why no money for old ‘Berta?” Not exporting enough to talk about or are they giving it away? The devil is always in the details.

Nobody is getting out of bed for a few million a year in royalties.
Old 03-14-2024, 10:22 AM

If the UPC ever approve this project at least we will have a big hole to bury them in after the next election!
Old 03-14-2024, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
If the UPC ever approve this project at least we will have a big hole to bury them in after the next election!
And the better alternative to the UCP is?