Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-25-2018, 10:01 AM

Default Rv antifreeze vs using compressed air

Never done the air thing,seems easier then having to remove the hose from tank and submerging it the antifreeze.dont need a battery when u use air.
What works best?
Old 09-25-2018, 10:04 AM

I do both because it's easy. Buy one of the valve stems from an RV place or crappy tire. Screw it into your city water connection and set your compressor between 40 and 50 psi. Charge up the system and open one tap at a time, blow down for a few shots each and repeat. Make sure your water heater is by passed. I then fill with RV glycol. Never any problems. Double protection doesn't hurt if you already have a compressor.
Old 09-25-2018, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotok View Post
I do both because it's easy. Buy one of the valve stems from an RV place or crappy tire. Screw it into your city water connection and set your compressor between 40 and 50 psi. Charge up the system and open one tap at a time, blow down for a few shots each and repeat. Make sure your water heater is by passed. I then fill with RV glycol. Never any problems. Double protection doesn't hurt if you already have a compressor.
What happens if you blow your lines out with more than 40 to 50 psi?
Old 09-25-2018, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zewks View Post
That's the danger right there ...... using too much pressure may damage fittings/connections or the lines.

I think at 40-50 psi you are probably OK.

Anti-Freeze is always a good idea for those areas and spots where the water is difficult to evacuate from low lying lines, inside cavities and/or pumps.
Old 09-25-2018, 11:18 AM

I waited for a sale, bought a bunch of RV antifreeze and pumped it in, enough to get lots in the hot water tank too.

May have to buy an extra jug each fall to top up as you always lose a bit draining it but I want to be sure I'm not dealing with broken lines.

In the spring, I recycle it back into the jugs and reuse in the fall.
Old 09-25-2018, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner View Post
I waited for a sale, bought a bunch of RV antifreeze and pumped it in, enough to get lots in the hot water tank too.

May have to buy an extra jug each fall to top up as you always lose a bit draining it but I want to be sure I'm not dealing with broken lines.

In the spring, I recycle it back into the jugs and reuse in the fall.
Your suppose to bypass hot water tank, from what I’ve been told the rv antifreeze will corrode and eat the lining of the hot water tank, been told this by a few rv techs..
Old 09-25-2018, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zewks View Post
Adjust the regulator on your compressor to 50 psi & you're good.
I dump washer fluid into traps, less than 1/2 the price of overpriced RV antifreeze
Old 09-25-2018, 10:09 AM

Have used air many times and got lucky, but the one time it left a little water in the pump and line and froze, now I blow the line with air and then add anti freeze and blow the lines out once more, that way no anti freeze taste in the lines come spring, just about forgot outside shower last yr. but got lucky before it froze. that is my way of doing it for the last 20 yrs.
Old 09-25-2018, 08:02 PM

Good thread, interesting to read the diff methods. I’ve always done what 260 rem posted for the most part. Only ever had one leak and that was from the toilet foot flush valve, but those things are so fragile it could have taken damage from being stepped on during my last hunting trip the previous year.
I didn’t know about the no rv antifreeze in the HW rule though. Luckily I’ve never put it in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk