Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-26-2024, 09:26 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Default Bill 20

Alberta government wants power to remove municipal councillors, repeal bylaws it doesn't like….

https://www.cbc.ca/news

Agree? Disagree?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 04-26-2024, 09:42 AM

Pretty sure Municipal Affairs has had this ability for decades.

And your link seems to be off....
Old 04-26-2024, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post

X2, but it sounds like they are intending to bring party affiliation to the municipal level. I'm against it.

Isaiah 5:8
Old 04-26-2024, 10:52 AM

I am against parties at the municipal level, but there does need to be a better system of recall. Requiring 500000 signatures in Calgary is totally asinine
Old 04-26-2024, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I am against parties at the municipal level, but there does need to be a better system of recall. Requiring 500000 signatures in Calgary is totally asinine
Exactly - Imagine the damage that could happen to our municipalities if the NDP was running the provincial show... Having recall options at the municipal level makes more sense.
Old 04-26-2024, 11:10 AM

I'd like to know if my mayor is a wacky liberal or dipper. I'm for outing party affiliates.
Old 04-26-2024, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams1 View Post
X2, but it sounds like they are intending to bring party affiliation to the municipal level. I'm against it.
I'm for it, I want to know what I'm getting. Last election I sent an email to every mayoral and councilor candidate in our community asking them to rate themselves on a scale of one to ten. Only two answered the question, both identifying as right wing, the rest gave mumbo jumbo answers and semi lectures about dealing with issues not political lines yet when it came time to vote on issues turns out the were lefty looney. The woke have hidden out for to long pretending they didn't have an agenda. School boards are especially frustrating. Seems they, women in particular are more interested in their unspoken agenda than serving the public.

Thomas Sowell
Old 04-26-2024, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
I'm for it, I want to know what I'm getting. Last election I sent an email to every mayoral and councilor candidate in our community asking them to rate themselves on a scale of one to ten. Only two answered the question, both identifying as right wing, the rest gave mumbo jumbo answers and semi lectures about dealing with issues not political lines yet when it came time to vote on issues turns out the were lefty looney. The woke have hidden out for to long pretending they didn't have an agenda. School boards are especially frustrating. Seems they, women in particular are more interested in their unspoken agenda than serving the public.
Heck yeah. You are on the money.
Old 04-26-2024, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Just to be clear the scale I gave them was one being hard left and ten being hard right.

Thomas Sowell
Old 04-26-2024, 05:47 PM

This is definitely pizzing off the dippers so all good in my books. Go Danielle go! Been a long while since big city swamps have been drained.
Old 04-26-2024, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post

Sorry or the wrong link but here it is in a nutshell,
And if municipal affairs had this lower then why introduce new bill?

The Alberta government has introduced a bill that would grant it sweeping powers over municipalities, including the right to fire councillors, overturn bylaws and postpone elections.

Municipal Affairs Minster Ric McIver says the new powers outlined in Bill 20 are justified to ensure fair elections and accountability from municipal leaders.

“We are doing this in order to protect the provincial interests, by ensuring municipalities are governing affairs that are within their jurisdiction,” he says.

The provincial government’s authority over local bylaws was previously limited to land-use and, more recently, public masking and vaccinations.

“It is our intention that such interventions will only be considered at last resort,” says McIver. “My most fervent wish is that this authority is never ever used.

The province is pointing to the instance of dropping masking regulations during the pandemic, only to have the City of Edmonton institute a bylaw requiring masks. In order to overturn the bylaw, a piece of legislation had to be tabled.

McIver says if that happened when the house was not sitting it could have meant recalling the legislature.

When asked about how the power of cabinet to make changes would be checked in the future, McIver said voters would hold politicians accountable, and if mistakes are made it will come up in future elections.

This ain’t gonna sit well with many Albertans.

Old 04-26-2024, 11:20 AM

Municipalities have no Constitutional rights under the BNA Act, Charter, etc.

Municipalities are solely the creation of Provincial Legislation, and are at the behest and direction of the Ministry of Municipal Affairs under the Municipalities Act.

Of Course the Province can do what it wishes with Municipalities, like it or not.

Municipalities are solely an administrative tool for the Province. Nothing more, and deserving of scrutiny and oversight.

Problem is that the Left has been able to hijack this vehicle of Government Services, and drive their Agendas through it.

Now the Left and the Woke are upset that their power abuse has been identified, and is being taken away from them.

Drewski
Old 04-26-2024, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post
Municipalities have no Constitutional rights under the BNA Act, Charter, etc.

Municipalities are solely the creation of Provincial Legislation, and are at the behest and direction of the Ministry of Municipal Affairs under the Municipalities Act.

Of Course the Province can do what it wishes with Municipalities, like it or not.

Municipalities are solely an administrative tool for the Province. Nothing more, and deserving of scrutiny and oversight.

Problem is that the Left has been able to hijack this vehicle of Government Services, and drive their Agendas through it.

Now the Left and the Woke are upset that their power abuse has been identified, and is being taken away from them.

Drewski

Then why introduce a new Bill?

Must be something they want to control especially if it doesn’t line up with their political agendas.

Something doesn’t sit right kinda reminds me of our crazy federal government.

Old 04-26-2024, 11:59 AM

If you looked up the definition of irony in the dictionary it would probably be this bill. I think it’s pretty hilarious and on point for Queen Dani. It all seriousness it’s about control at the municipal level, nothing more nothing less.

Funny how it wasn’t campaigned on, the idea of party affiliations was not popular, but nonetheless this gets rammed through. You get who you vote for folks.
Old 04-26-2024, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Then why introduce a new Bill?

Must be something they want to control especially if it doesn’t line up with their political agendas.

Something doesn’t sit right kinda reminds me of our crazy federal government.

Did you ever stop to think this may actually be a type of pre-emptive warning to Edmonton and Calgary councils to stay in their own bloody lanes and do the jobs they were elected to do?

You live in Cold Lake. You don’t even begin to be affected by the policies that have made Edmonton and Calgary into tent cities.

This bill is way overdue, and as has been mentioned, a formalizing of powers that already exist.