Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 12-03-2014, 09:17 PM

Default Need some ideas

Hi guys. I have a quandary. I am running long coyote lines in southern Saskatchewan and am ok until the deep drifting snow comes. I have to use a truck to run the lines. Each is 65-75 miles long. I have to pull a heavy trailer loaded with bait. All my lines are along the roads, but every bait is off in the fields. I have used tire chains, but the constant chattering in deep snow destroys drivelines. I was thinking of mounting a plow, but hitting one rock or rut will do extensive damage to the plow and/or my truck. A snowmobile doesn't work as I need to get the trailer to the bait sites. A tractor with a plow is too slow to run the long lines. I run the lines alone so whatever I use has to be able to take my trailer and all my gear, plus haul out all the catch. Any thoughts??

P.S. Keep tuned to Wild TV in January for Trapping Inc. Rich Mellon and his son was out on my line with the cameras. It looks like I'll be on episode II Ryan
Old 12-03-2014, 09:29 PM

How about an argo ? takes some space on the trailer but can offload and use in the snow .
Old 12-03-2014, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
How about an argo ? takes some space on the trailer but can offload and use in the snow .
The Argo won't be able to haul the 20 foot trailer through the deep drifted snow. I had an 2011 Argo 750Hdi with tracks so I know what it can and can't do. The bait is just too heavy to move. The trailer has 8000-9000 pounds of whole dead cattle on it right now just to give an idea of the size and weight.
Old 12-03-2014, 09:47 PM

All I can say is a fendt tractor that goes 55k an hour or a track kit for.your truck. See some n youTube. Sure plow thru a lot of snow in the videos
Old 12-03-2014, 09:53 PM

I know some farmers that plow to the bait for guys to snare. They are grateful that somebody is catching the dogs on there farm. Maybe that's an option. I know margins are probably thin but maybe you could even pay the farmer to plow for you. Just some thoughts.
Old 12-03-2014, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman1978 View Post
I know some farmers that plow to the bait for guys to snare. They are grateful that somebody is catching the dogs on there farm. Maybe that's an option. I know margins are probably thin but maybe you could even pay the farmer to plow for you. Just some thoughts.
I think this is the best idea. Set up with each farmer in each area.
Old 12-03-2014, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5911ryan View Post
The Argo won't be able to haul the 20 foot trailer through the deep drifted snow. I had an 2011 Argo 750Hdi with tracks so I know what it can and can't do. The bait is just too heavy to move. The trailer has 8000-9000 pounds of whole dead cattle on it right now just to give an idea of the size and weight.
Ok , had no idea how big a trailer you were talking about .. Maybe gmans idea about approaching a landowner to assist you is your best bet ..