Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-30-2009, 12:02 PM

Default Camera, Rod and Treasured Items - R.I.P.

As the 2009 Fishing Season comes to a close the total number of lost items in waters throughout Alberta continues to rise. More recently in PCR the "camera" belonging to FisherAlex and last night the "lil red rod" used by BaitFisher as it evaporated in thin air or more specifically went down the hole. Some items are gifts while others are purchased by the individual. Some hold meaning while others do not. It's not always the big fish that holds the greatest memory but the one that got away and that may not be limited to just our finned friends.

It is evident by reading the forum and meeting some members that alot of time, passion and effort is put into this sport we call fishing and at sometime everyone of us has lost something.

So to all the Camera's, Rods and Treasured Items that have found their way to the bottom of the cold waters we fish - may you R.I.P.

I thought it might be interesting to hear of some of everyones highlights for 2009 or some of the items lost to start the healing process.

Maybe someone can start a new thread on that or post them here.

Happy New Year and Happy Fishing

CR
Old 12-30-2009, 12:19 PM

I lost,,,very sadly I might add, 8 hours of life that I will never get back, freezing at badger and not getting one bite.
Old 12-30-2009, 12:26 PM

One of my favorite fly rod outfits, that I caught my first steelhead on back in Ontario now rests at the bottom of Maligne Lake, but I replaced it with a top notch Reddington so here's to making new memories with it!
Old 12-30-2009, 12:37 PM

Default battery

was changing out the battery on my aqua view when the (at least) dead battery went down the hole. what can you say right, s..t happens lol
Old 12-30-2009, 12:39 PM

After losing my hemostats for umpteen time and again I bought another set but this time the biggest, nicest and the most $$$ ever-- that way I'll never lose them. This summer at CV my son hooked a pike and with hesitation I handed him the stats he easily and safely removed the hooks dipped the stats in the water to clean them and then shook to dry them off and then in one motion he "FLICKED THEM OFF HIS FINGERS IN TO THE LAKE" and this being five months later I miss my nice stats all but just a memory now, but no--- I have it all on video.
Old 12-30-2009, 12:58 PM

Default fishing rod

my wife cast the line out with a brand new mepps spinner. Then released her grip on the rod because she thought that one off the boys (aged 2 was on the drivers seat) was falling in the water. So she went to grab him as I went for the rod with no luck on the rod. The boy was never going to fall in,he was safe.

Anyway a friend of her Uncles was fishing the same spot and caught the line and pulled up the rod and mentioned it to her Uncle.He told them he knows the owner of that rod. They kept it a secret from me and I got to open it for Christmas last year. I was really surprised. So I guess it was not lost for ever.
Old 12-30-2009, 01:11 PM

I lost an old beat up silver fly box on prairie creek last summer.
Somehow it slipped from an unzippered pocket into the mirky depths, likely to be washed downstream to the north saskatchewan in the spring runoff.
BUT what really hurts is knowing that the dozens of hours I spent tying the flies that were in that box went down the river with it.
I can only hope that somehow that fly box flipped open, the flies floated out and caught some major fish along the way
Old 12-30-2009, 01:24 PM

This year has been tough fo me as well ive lost a legend of a rod in pine as well as a brand new (2months old) camera, my wifes cell phone in the red deer river. Oh ya forgot to tie the end of the rope to the boat and lost a good anchor. If this year has taught me anything it to be more carefull in the next.......
Old 12-30-2009, 01:33 PM

Icefishing mid-March and neighbour brought his brand new radios too keep in touch on the lake. These were a Christmas present from his son and I leaned over the hole and down it went. Thank god I have an underwater camera as I sent it down the hole and sure enough there was the radio 20 feet under water. Hooked up the biggest 5 of diamonds I had and hooked it on the 3rd try. Brought it up but too much water. Gave it back to neighbour at the end of the day and he took it apart and dried it all out. He says it is working just fine but I don't think he will let me use it this spring ice fishing.

Dropped a few lures in the water changing hooks this summer. In too much of a hurry but only lost about $15 worth of stuff so a good year in my books.
Old 12-30-2009, 01:35 PM

Woke up in my shack on Gull last winter and had to call home for some reason. I couldnt find my cell and decided to start fishing anyways. Looked down the hole and there she was! I managed to retrieve it and dry it out, and guess what it still worked for a week or so... lucky thing it was a work phone!
Old 12-31-2009, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by italk2u View Post
I lost an old beat up silver fly box on prairie creek last summer.
Somehow it slipped from an unzippered pocket into the mirky depths, likely to be washed downstream to the north saskatchewan in the spring runoff.
BUT what really hurts is knowing that the dozens of hours I spent tying the flies that were in that box went down the river with it.
I can only hope that somehow that fly box flipped open, the flies floated out and caught some major fish along the way
Thats what happens when people fish my river
J.K i know exactly how you feel, that little gem of a creek has at least a months worth of my wages. Everything from phones, to hats, to pol. glasses, to full flyboxes as well.
Old 12-31-2009, 01:26 PM

When I was about 17 (16 years ago) I felt all manly taking my father's aluminum and 10 horse out with my buddies by ourselves (he wasn't feeling all that well and didn't plan on fishing until the next day). Anchored in a spot, caught a few fish, decided to head into camp for lunch. The anchor was situated right near the outboard.. well I forgot to pull it up and snap went the rope. Bye bye anchor.

At that point, I wasn't panicking too much - my father always kept a spare anchor in the truck. Brought it out for the evening.

Caught a few fish.. time to head in..

I did the exact same thing. Bye bye anchor. I couldn't believe it.

I ran into Lac La Biche early the next morning and thank god squirrleys had a few anchors for sale. Got it back to the lake before my father was planning on fishing. He didn't notice anything as the anchor looked similar to the first one I lost.

He always never mentioned anything about his backup.. must've assumed he misplaced it.