Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-18-2016, 05:19 PM

Default how to maintain your rifle's accuracy?

Recently on my hunting trip, there is a strange thing happened. I usually sight in my rifle in the summer and always have 100% confidence on accuracy. two days ago, I arrived at an abandon oil site at the middle of the day so I thought maybe I could check my rifle. I am happy I did it.....To my surprise! my first two shots were not even on the target paper. I had no choice but spent almost an hour to re-sight in my rifle with almost half box of ammo.

Do you check the accuracy of your rifle after a long trip? how do you keep your rifle while traveling? in the bag or box?

any suggestion would be very much appreciated.
Old 10-18-2016, 05:35 PM

I do a final verification in the fall, in temperatures similar to what I expect to hunt in if that is possible. My rifles are carried to the hunting area in hard cases, and I have never had an issue with a scope not holding zero in transit, or on a hunt. Most of my scopes have not required adjustment of any kind in years.
Old 10-18-2016, 05:38 PM

After any long trip it is best to make sure things have not gone out of whack. Also if you are at different elevations or weather conditions
Old 10-18-2016, 05:40 PM

My scope stays in my pack unless he along shot and have never had an issue with t at 300 yards, neither have an other of the quick detachable scopes had in the past on rifles have owned.
The irons are non adjustable express sights s don't g out of adjustment.
Cat
Old 10-18-2016, 05:45 PM

It's always best to fire a shot to check your zero before hunting

What you described is more significant than the effects of temperature or wind (at 100 yards or less anyway). Something is not right. Did you shoot at the range from a lead sled or similar? This can shift your POI significantly.

If not, and your form was good...Either your scope/mounts shifted, your rifles action or barrel is not sitting properly in its stock, you are using different ammunition, something is broken somewhere. I would not hunt with that rifle until I had figured it out.
Old 10-18-2016, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
It's always best to fire a shot to check your zero before hunting

What you described is more significant than the effects of temperature or wind (at 100 yards or less anyway). Something is not right. Did you shoot at the range from a lead sled or similar? This can shift your POI significantly.

If not, and your form was good...Either your scope/mounts shifted, your rifles action or barrel is not sitting properly in its stock, you are using different ammunition, something is broken somewhere. I would not hunt with that rifle until I had figured it out.
yeah.... I am having concerns about the next trip. Should I bring this rifle to Cabelas for a re-installation? They installed the scope for me last year. One thing I forgot to tell you. I forgot to clean the oil out before brought it for hunting. Will the oil left in the barrel affect the accuracy so much?
Old 10-18-2016, 06:09 PM

Oil left in the barrel can definitely effect the point of impact, but it should be gone after the first shot. If there is too much oil in the barrel and the rifle is fired, it can cause issues much more severe than just a missed shot.

If a scope ends up that far off of zero, and you are sure that the adjustments have not been purposely or accidentally moved, I would suspect either a scope issue, a weak base/ring combination, or a poor job of mounting the scope.
Old 10-18-2016, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Oil left in the barrel can definitely effect the point of impact, but it should be gone after the first shot. If there is too much oil in the barrel and the rifle is fired, it can cause issues much more severe than just a missed shot.

If a scope ends up that far off of zero, and you are sure that the adjustments have not been purposely or accidentally moved, I would suspect either a scope issue, a weak base/ring combination, or a poor job of mounting the scope.
Thank you. Maybe the first choice is to bring it to Cabelas and let them re-install it for me before the season ends...lol
Old 10-18-2016, 05:44 PM

Hi,
Initial Set Up, Storage, Transportation & Handling of your Rifles is Key,...
When I Initially Set Up my Scope, I use Loctite 242 on all of the Scope Mounting Hardware Threads. I'll Set Up each Rifle/Scope for the Intended Range/Use, then shoot at different Ranges to Create a "Range Card", so I know where to "Hold" for different Senarios. I also use the Ammo that I Actually Hunt with to Set Up the Rifle, (Consistent Balistic Trajectory).
I Store my Rifles Uncased, Upright in a Gun Cabinet, with the Scopes towards the back of the Cabinet to Prevent Inadvertently bumping the Scope.
I only Transport my Rifles to the local shooting range in a soft case, Placed on the back seat of my Truck. If going any further, I use my Plano Gun Guard All Weather Scoped Rifle Cases.
I'm always as careful as can be when Handling my Rifles, and Especially mindful of the Scopes.
I don't Usually have any Issues if I stick to the above,...

Cheers,
Jonathan