Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-28-2022, 03:43 PM

Default First time hunter - choosing a WMU

I am new to Alberta and new to hunting, as well. I am slowly getting myself up to speed with understanding the hunting regulations in Alberta, and I think I now understand the General License vs. Special License regulations.

I don't know anyone in Alberta with access to private land, so I think I am restricted to hunting only on public land. Based on the results of last year's Special License draw, it doesn't look like I would get a Special License my first year submitting my name. But I think this means I can still hunt with a general license.

In looking at different types of public land for hunting, I see that some Hunting Conservation Sites are available for hunting. I found WMU 136 (Shell Buffalo Hills Conservation Ranch, https://www.albertadiscoverguide.com...=E3&number=167) doesn't require a Special License.

Does this mean I can just show up to this WMU during the general season with a General License and hunt the game that is applicable to the license?
Old 02-28-2022, 04:12 PM

The answer to your question is no. The regulations mostly apply to entire WMU's and not a conservation site. All elk hunting in 136 is on draw except for "archery only". All mule deer is on draw in 136 except for antlerless mule deer "archery only". WT antlered and antlerless require no draw for "archery only".
WT antlerless are on a draw for the general season.

You need to apply the regulations as per the WMU. iHunter is a good app that will give you some quick answers to questions but it is not meant to replace the regulations. iHunter screenshot attached as an example.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4AE68E3D-6C3C-45B0-AD6B-2F6A16C9AA51.jpg (17.7 KB, 50 views)
Old 02-28-2022, 04:14 PM
Banned

Where do you live?
Old 02-28-2022, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
Where do you live?
I live in Calgary, in the NW.
Old 02-28-2022, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emperorsgroove View Post
Check out the 300 WMU’s northwest of Calgary. There is public land and whitetail to get you started

Scouting and learning the area you hunt makes a big difference so go explore before the season
Old 02-28-2022, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Check out the 300 WMU’s northwest of Calgary. There is public land and whitetail to get you started

Scouting and learning the area you hunt makes a big difference so go explore before the season
Cool, thanks! I started by looking at the various Conservation Sites. But it looks like there are lots of different Crown Land types, as well. I see lots of "Natural Areas" in the 300 series WMUs. Maybe this would be a good option to start with.
Old 03-11-2022, 09:56 AM

Quote:
You're Waiporous bound my friend!

WMU 412, 414, 416, 316.
Loads of crown land up there.
I used to hunt Mule deer on a general tag in 412, there's whitetail all over the place, Also black bears in good numbers in September.

So what's the downside? It's a busy area. Not just hunters but all kinds of city people doing outdoor activities. Last time I hunted in 316, September with my bow, I almost got shot by random target shooters who were shooting with no backstop. Not an exaggeration, I could hear bullets hitting trees around me.

My suggestion is you do some hiking and get yourself away from the roads and ohv trails. You'll have a safer time and probably shoot a deer.
Old 02-28-2022, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
The answer to your question is no. The regulations mostly apply to entire WMU's and not a conservation site. All elk hunting in 136 is on draw except for "archery only". All mule deer is on draw in 136 except for antlerless mule deer "archery only". WT antlered and antlerless require no draw for "archery only".
WT antlerless are on a draw for the general season.

You need to apply the regulations as per the WMU. iHunter is a good app that will give you some quick answers to questions but it is not meant to replace the regulations. iHunter screenshot attached as an example.
Thanks for the info. Maybe I'm misunderstanding the regulations. Doesn't the hightlighted parts of the attached regulations mean that only a general license for WT is required in 136?

I don't see a black square next to the season dates indicating that a special license is required.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WMU 136.jpg (23.1 KB, 63 views)
Old 02-28-2022, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the info. Maybe I'm misunderstanding the regulations. Doesn't the hightlighted parts of the attached regulations mean that only a general license for WT is required in 136?

I don't see a black square next to the season dates indicating that a special license is required.
Correct. For antlered WT deer a special license is not required.
Old 02-28-2022, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
Correct. For antlered WT deer a special license is not required.
Gotcha. I think that helps. So I can hunt in that WMU for antlered WT with a general license. Thanks!
Old 03-01-2022, 10:32 AM

You can get a general wt and a general elk tag otc. You can get a supplemental wt doe and likely even a md doe tag with 0 priority.

Lots of crown land within 2 hrs of Calgary. Don’t be afraid to ask permission you have nothing to loose if they say no. When you get a yes it will have friends and neighbours lands open up.

Moose, mule deer and antelope are longer waits

Tags
public land, wmu 136