Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-12-2017, 10:44 PM

Default New Helmet Law Passed

Off-Highway Vehicle (OHV) Helmet Law
Every year thousands of people are injured while riding Off-Highway Vehicles (OHVs) in Alberta. According to the Injury Prevention Centre, many of those injuries involve head trauma for OHV operators who were not wearing helmets. During Fall 2016 the Government of Alberta decided to take action to address this public health concern.

The Alberta Legislative Assembly passed Bill 36, An Act to Enhance Off-Highway Vehicle Safety, on December 9, 2016. A new law requiring helmets to be worn by users of OHVs when riding on public land will be proclaimed on May 15, 2017.

Alberta will abide by CSA helmet motorized vehicle standards.

The fine for not wearing a helmet is $155. The fine for wearing a helmet that is not CSA-compliant is $93. Both fine amounts include the victim surcharge.

Exemptions

While the Government of Alberta recommends that all OHV users wear a helmet whenever riding an OHV, this law does not require OHV helmets for:

Individuals performing farm and/or ranch work.
Those individuals of the Sikh faith who feel helmet use is incompatible with religious observance and are wearing a turban.
Individuals performing work regulated under Alberta’s Occupational Health and Safety laws who are using an approved alternative safety measure.
Individuals operating an OHV on First Nations or Metis Settlement lands.
Individuals or groups that have been granted a case-by-case exemption from the Alberta Registrar of Motor Vehicle Services.
Individuals operating motorized vehicles that meet the standards for a vehicle designed for use on a roadway, has seat belt assemblies maintained in compliance with the Vehicle Equipment Regulation, and when seat belts are being properly worn.
Individual operating off-highway vehicles with manufacturer-supplied rollover protection and seatbelts, when seat belts are being properly worn.
For cases where such protections have been installed by a party other than the manufacturer, certification from an individual with P.Eng designation may be accepted by the Registrar, as per the previous bullet.

Last edited by Puma; 04-12-2017 at 10:53 PM.
Old 04-12-2017, 10:53 PM

Default Good to see.

Would never ride or let my kids ride one with out a helmet.
Sounds like the fine is about the same cost as a good helmet.
Old 04-12-2017, 10:55 PM

Ndp nanny state and it looks like there is going to be no end to the tax hikes and new regulations.I can't hardly wait for the next election to see the ndp party brought to there knees.
Old 04-12-2017, 11:00 PM

Another strike against personal freedom.
Even if not wearing a helmet is stupid, i want the freedom to make that stupid choice or not.
Old 04-13-2017, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpgriz View Post
Even if not wearing a helmet is stupid, i want the freedom to make that stupid choice or not.
Ditto
Old 04-13-2017, 03:49 AM

I know all four times I have come across people hurt in in Atv/utv incidents they were all drunk all driving excessive speed for the terrain, lack of expierance with the equipment in two cases were foreigners visiting friends family non of them were wearing helmets.
The wearing of the helmets would not have significantly helped their injuries.
Neck,spinal, broken collarbone, arm and leg, chest puncture wound and concussion in two of them.

As the paramedic at the scene of two incidents stated had they of been wearing a helmet we would more then likely be calling the coroner.

I wear a helmet when I go quad riding medium ton high speed. Anyone quadding with me has to wear one or I don't ride with them.
When I use my quad for hunting I usually do not wear a helmet putting along the road or trail. Anytime I go over 5kmhr or climb through any thing other then a smal obstacle I put my helmet on.

Now i will have to wear one all the time. And once that helmet becomes scratched up I will have to buy a new one to follow DOT law also won't be able to have non aproved stickers on it.
Old 04-13-2017, 05:56 AM

I say if you choose to not wear a helmet and if your hurt then you waive your right to free health care. So you or your family pays for your stay in the hospital. Why should my tax dollars go to treating injuries that were caused by someone else poor decisions?
Old 04-13-2017, 07:16 AM

Quote:
I got "NO" problem with that, as long as you pay your Medical bill. But when my taxes have to pay your bill. Bring on the helmets.
Old 04-13-2017, 07:37 AM

Overall I agree with wearing a helmet on an OHV. It only costs a few bucks for a decent one and if could prevent you from becoming the next gary busey, haha.
Old 04-13-2017, 07:50 AM
Banned

I wear a helmet on my motorcycle, but seldom on the quad, as I NEVER go fast anymore.....would kinda like it to be my choice on whether or not I wear one.

..........thousands injured every year!! I'd have to see the stats to believe that one.
Old 04-13-2017, 10:48 AM

In Saskatchewan we have had the law for several years the only tickets I've heard issued were for people driving along highways at higher speeds, most of the villages allow ATV's as long as a helmet is worn. In the forest most people wear them when touring around as for hunting they don't seem to enforce it as much. It does give the LEO's a good reason to pull you over for an alcohol/drug check anytime they feel like it just check your helmet for the DOT sticker.
Old 04-13-2017, 09:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastus View Post
I got "NO" problem with that, as long as you pay your Medical bill. But when my taxes have to pay your bill. Bring on the helmets.
How far are you willing to take that attitude?
Old 04-14-2017, 12:01 AM

Good to see. Hooefully our hospitals and doctors have to deal with less people due to not wearing helmets.
Old 04-14-2017, 08:42 AM

Default Helmets

All right...if I have to wear a helmet, what is a good brand, reasonable price, features, etc. I wear glasses, so don't want it to be too tight around the ears. Buy used?
Old 04-14-2017, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by realist View Post
All right...if I have to wear a helmet, what is a good brand, reasonable price, features, etc. I wear glasses, so don't want it to be too tight around the ears. Buy used?
The better quality helmets are Snell approved. There are DOT helmets being sold that are not of much use unless you land on top of your head. Buying a used helmet is a bad idea; because you don't know if it has been exposed to impacts that could have weakened it .
Old 04-14-2017, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by realist View Post
I wear a 1/2 cap DOT rated fiberglass with a dropdown visor that goes over my glasses it was around $80 you can get carbon fiber higher rated for about twice that.

I don't drive at fast speeds, jump sharks or do anything really dangerous if you're are the type that could bounce off your quad head first into a tree you might want to look at something more heavy duty.
Old 04-26-2017, 03:20 PM

Default Create our own religion to protect our rights.

Is anyone else offended by our new OHV helmet law? Or the fact that it specifically states that it doesn't apply to members of the Sikh religion?

We should seriously consider starting our own official religion "The church of the Outdoors". We worship the land and wild animals. So much so that we use them for food and hang them on our walls. Develop the core tenants to suit us and protect us true respectful Alberta Outdoorsmen. And we are unable to wear helmuts as it would be disrespectful to the animals and scares them. We meet in the great outdoors on a regular basis and we carry our ceremonial Bows and rifles as our religion states we must. It works for the sikhs carrying their daggars.

Yes I am joking somewhat... but really why not!?
Old 04-26-2017, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhunter8 View Post
Is anyone else offended by our new OHV helmet law? Or the fact that it specifically states that it doesn't apply to members of the Sikh religion?

We should seriously consider starting our own official religion "The church of the Outdoors". We worship the land and wild animals. So much so that we use them for food and hang them on our walls. Develop the core tenants to suit us and protect us true respectful Alberta Outdoorsmen. And we are unable to wear helmuts as it would be disrespectful to the animals and scares them. We meet in the great outdoors on a regular basis and we carry our ceremonial Bows and rifles as our religion states we must. It works for the sikhs carrying their daggars.

Yes I am joking somewhat... but really why not!?
I've thought about this as well and it's easier than you think. Just change "gun range" to "church" , "gun club president" to "pastor" or what ever you prefer, and "alberta fish and game association" to the "church/mosque/whatever of alberta fish and game" and you're done. Of course guns and hunting/fishing would become religious obligations and rights and we get to use the lefty nonsense against them, or claim some sort of 'isms.
Old 04-27-2017, 01:23 PM

Typical health and safety going overboard, we have had a similar law here in NZ for quite some time now. There is no exemptions for farmers, its more targeting farmers riding quads on there own land. All we are doing is breeding a world full of mindless kids that do as they are told and are incapable of using common sense to keep themselves safe. Hi-vis clothing is another example of dumbing down the future, everyone puts a hi-vis vest on and beleives they are safe from any harm. A whole school of children wearing hi-vis vests all day! Its getting beyond a joke down here, soon it will be illegal to go outside below a certain temperature incase you get cold.
Old 04-27-2017, 01:28 PM

I don't know what you whiners are complaining about. You only have to wear your helmet when you are actually riding your ATV, and your government is working hard to ensure that doesn't happen anymore.
Old 05-17-2017, 11:11 AM

I agree with this.
We should have the right to make the decisions we want. That being said if you make a stuod decision such as not wearing a helmet our public health care system should not cover you and you should receive a bill for any and all medical expenses.
We should have the freedom to choose but should also be responsible for our decisions.
Old 05-17-2017, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanH View Post
I agree with this.
We should have the right to make the decisions we want. That being said if you make a stuod decision such as not wearing a helmet our public health care system should not cover you and you should receive a bill for any and all medical expenses.
We should have the freedom to choose but should also be responsible for our decisions.

How do you pay that bill laying in a hospital bed for 6 months to life?
Old 04-06-2018, 07:22 PM

I will continue to wear my canadian trappers turban my TOQUE
Old 04-13-2017, 07:55 AM

Quote:
If you read the law, some people still have that options. Apparently the laws of physics don't apply to them either.

Grizz

Last edited by Grizzly Adams; 04-13-2017 at 08:06 AM.
Old 04-13-2017, 06:57 PM

Quote:
I don't want my tax dollars paying for you to slobber into your bib when you split your melon in 2 because 'laws are stupid'.
That is the reason for these laws, it is not a 'strike against personal freedom'.
(this was not a personal shot, I just don't want to pay for self inflicted window lickers)
Old 04-27-2017, 08:38 AM

Quote:
'Freedom' when I am having fun! Underwritten of course by public costs for injury and mortality...
Old 04-27-2017, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
'Freedom' when I am having fun! Underwritten of course by public costs for injury and mortality...
Specious answer!!! Underwritten by the public purse: Just like it is for Obesity, Alcoholism, drug use, smoking, driving without seat belts, sky diving, golfing accidents and everything else that makes you go to a Doctor.

When Montana went from no speed limit to a Federally mandate speed limit their highway mortality doubled the next year. You never see law makers talking about real stats because it doesn't fit their agendas. So much for speed kills.

Here is one link but there are a ton more that validate the same findings.

http://www.hwysafety.com/hwy_montana.htm

More legislation does not make my world better, safer or cheaper. WE already have ALL the legislation we need. Focus on getting rid of a bunch of it, not making more.
Old 04-27-2017, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Specious answer!!! Underwritten by the public purse: Just like it is for Obesity, Alcoholism, drug use, smoking, driving without seat belts, sky diving, golfing accidents and everything else that makes you go to a Doctor.

When Montana went from no speed limit to a Federally mandate speed limit their highway mortality doubled the next year. You never see law makers talking about real stats because it doesn't fit their agendas. So much for speed kills.

Here is one link but there are a ton more that validate the same findings.

http://www.hwysafety.com/hwy_montana.htm

More legislation does not make my world better, safer or cheaper. WE already have ALL the legislation we need. Focus on getting rid of a bunch of it, not making more.
The way I read that. There was 184 fatal accidents in 1994 in Montana. I looked it up there was 187 last year. So either I didn't read your data right or I'm not buying into it. It's very possible I didn't read it correctly. It's also very possible that since 1994 there haven't been a whole lot of changes to the fatal accident rate in Montana as a whole.

In a state by state comparison it appears Montana might have contributing factors, bad roads, weather, who knows .... bad drivers. New Hampshire had half the deaths due to traffic accidents in 2015 and almost the same vehicle miles traveled.

If you average out the vehicle miles traveled many states had less deaths than Montana. Alaska, DC, North and South Dakota and Vermont jump out.

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/topics/t/ge...-overview/2015
Old 04-12-2017, 11:01 PM

Our land boarders crown. I venture into crown land often. I won't wear one, come and find/fine me.

TBark
Old 04-12-2017, 11:04 PM

whew... good thing I'm a practising Sikh