Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-13-2020, 09:07 AM

Default Staying warm

So, as some of you might have figured, I'm not from this country. I am from a small island off of the north coast of France that is incredibly wet, but rarely gets down to 0⁰c.

I still love the winters here and for the most part can keep myself warm. The biggest problems I have though, are my hands and my feet. No matter what I try (admittedly, not a whole lot), i cant seem to keep them warm. In fact they get brutally cold and take hours to regain sensation.

Any and all tips, tricks, products and brands welcome as the temp just dropped and I still have a WT tag to fill
Old 10-13-2020, 09:13 AM

it all depends what type of hunting you do...i mostly hunt out of a pop up blind and i find that resting my feet on a foam pad or something helps slow the cold coming up my feet, i also use a small heater and always have a bunch of hand warmers handy, keep your core warm however you can...but in late November it gets pretty hard to do!
Old 10-13-2020, 09:27 AM

For my hands one thing, besides gloves/mittens, is getting a jacket with deep slip-in insulated hand pockets. Put a hand warmer in each one and my hands always have a place to warm up.

Protect the oppressed even if an enemy, never forgive the traitor especially if he is your friend
Old 10-13-2020, 09:39 AM

Insulated overalls are great, assuming your boots are sufficient that could be where you’re losing your heat through your legs. If it’s cold mitts instead of gloves (although I usually still wear thin gloves as well in case I’m taking my hands out to shoot). Keep your neck warm as that’s another area you lose heat. Of course don’t get all sweaty walking into where you’re sitting otherwise you’ll be cold no matter what, sometimes I’ll put on some of these extra clothes once I get to where I’m sitting to ensure I don’t sweat. Chemical hand warmers can help if you’re still cold.
Old 10-13-2020, 09:58 AM

Good heavy mitts for hands, good quality underwear from Marks and felt lined winter boots with heavy wool socks. You will be warm in any weather especially if you have good steak and eggs in your belly. I Vegan will never be warm in any weather.
Old 10-13-2020, 10:21 AM

How about some of those electric socks that some of the people where when skiing.

https://www.ebay.ca/sch/i.html?_nkw=...3d6d487e1eebfc