Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-07-2013, 12:22 AM

Default Leveling scope reticles

If your using levels be sure your rifle is level when it's secured in your vise.
Double check that it is level from the back base to the front base and no sideways canting. Then you can use a level on top of the turret turning the scope to level your reticle. Other wise it's time for a beer and a piece of wire.
A trick I use with a piccatinny rail on a rifle is place a six inch straight piece of 1/8ths inch stiff wire in one of the cross groves and secure it with a rubber band around the ends and under the stock snugged up against the sides. Place the butt end of the stock on the floor and with the muzzle against your cheek tilt the muzzle up so the wire and reticle come together, turn the scope to align them, then tighten the rings. Should work with bases that protrude past the rings.
Old 10-07-2013, 06:44 AM

Or you can level your horizontal on the "waterline" of a target. Square to the shooter is better than square to the rifle.
Old 10-07-2013, 07:48 AM

Have u tried the new Segway reticle leveler?
Old 10-07-2013, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleJ View Post
Or you can level your horizontal on the "waterline" of a target. Square to the shooter is better than square to the rifle.
The cross hairs should be square to the rifle not square to the shooter. If not, your scope will not track properly, shots at different distances will be left or right of the center line and adjusting the scope for sight in will be a pain.

I have found that many right handed shooters will have their cross hairs 5 or 10 degrees to the left and vice versa for lefties if they install their own scope. It is from squeezing the rifle too much in anticipation of the recoil. Relaxing the grip makes for more accurate shooting and straightens the cross hairs right up.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:41 AM

If rifle is shot offhand square to the shooter is best. If its an F-class or BR rifle square to the rifle is needed.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:45 AM

Quote:
If rifle is shot offhand square to the shooter is best. If its an F-class or BR rifle square to the rifle is needed.
Isn't canting the rifle bad form on part of the shooter? If so, I'd fix that over compensating for it.

Edit:

http://www.accurateshooter.com/optic...int-of-impact/
Old 10-07-2013, 08:45 AM

Quote:
If you square the cross hairs to the shooter doesnt that cause as issue when u start to adjust for longer shots as ur bullet isnt going to track down your vertical cross hair but actually start to go off to whichever way you cant your scope?

I maybe wrong but seems to make sense...

I always try to square up the cross hairs to the rifle...
Old 10-07-2013, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harv3589 View Post
If you square the cross hairs to the shooter doesnt that cause as issue when u start to adjust for longer shots as ur bullet isnt going to track down your vertical cross hair but actually start to go off to whichever way you cant your scope?

I maybe wrong but seems to make sense...

I always try to square up the cross hairs to the rifle...
This is exactly right. If one was to imagine shooting a rifle "gangsta" style or perfectly sideways you can visualize the exaggerated effect.

A rifle sighted in at first cross of sight (say 25-35 yards depending on calibre) would be 3-4 inches left or right depending on the lean at 100 yards and more as the distance is increased.