Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-04-2009, 01:58 PM

Default What boat should I get?

Hey guys,
I would like to take advantage of some of the more experienced guys on this forum so I am leaving it up to you guys. I would like to get a new fishing boat around the $30-40,000 mark. I want an aluminum so I can take it into shore, a sturdy dependable 4 stroke motor around 170 horse or above, a boat that will pull skiers and tubers if I have kids along, something easy to control but most of all something that is dependable. I have looked at many brands and they all say they are the best so I want to hear what you guys have to say. Thanks in advance for your replies.
Old 08-04-2009, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarecrow View Post
Hey guys,
I would like to take advantage of some of the more experienced guys on this forum so I am leaving it up to you guys. I would like to get a new fishing boat around the $30-40,000 mark. I want an aluminum so I can take it into shore, a sturdy dependable 4 stroke motor around 170 horse or above, a boat that will pull skiers and tubers if I have kids along, something easy to control but most of all something that is dependable. I have looked at many brands and they all say they are the best so I want to hear what you guys have to say. Thanks in advance for your replies.
I just went through all of this when buying my boat this season !
My budget was a bit lower than yours, but I looked at A LOT of boats !

There are TON'S of boats out there to be had. Many will tell you LUND and CRESTLINER and stuff like that, but I honestly wasn't very impressed for the price. IMO, LUND and Crestliner boats are WAY over-priced..

Of all the boats that I looked at and if I was spending close to 40k, I'd look at the 175 or 185 TROPHY series from ALUMACRAFT w/ 150 / 175 Evinrude. A TRUE DUAL hull Aluminum from Bow to Stern (neither LUND or CRESTLINER can say the same...) and has an amazing amount of stability, durability and smooth ride. Check out the link for more information....
http://alumacraft.com/sport-fish-boa...-185-specs.php

Forgot to mention that the EVINRUDE'S also are basically MAINTENANCE free and 'Self-Wintering'. Definitely a HUGE BONUS in comparison to other engines !

Just my .02 cents...

Cheers,

/FC....

Last edited by floppychicken; 08-04-2009 at 03:08 PM.
Old 08-05-2009, 01:28 PM

I have an Alumacraft Trophy 185 and it is a beautiful boat. When I bought it, I was also looking at a Lund Tyee 1750. I went up to a foot longer boat and paid $3000 less by going to Alumacraft. I am not sure how much difference there was in the cost of motors. I have the etec 150 and the lund had a Verado 150.

To be fair, I believe the Lund had about $1000 better electronics and trolling motor, but the Alumacraft came with bow cushions and a fourth seat.

I would recommend Alumacraft to anyone, but I can't do the same for the Etec. My motor has failed twice in two years(fixed on Warranty). I found a website that stresses the importance of hitting the correct RPM at WOT. According to them, even 3-400 RPM off is too much. I ended up raising my motor 1 notch and going down 2" of pitch in my prop. It raised my RPM by 600 and I stayed about the same for top end. I also told the dealer to shove the XD100 setting on my engine. I now run with XD100 on the XD50 setting.

That said, my etec runs very strong and performs well. I know a couple other guys who haven't had problems with theirs. Hopefully I just got a lemon, but it will be a long time before I quit waiting for the "other shoe to drop" on this motor. I have the 7 year warranty, and if it was off today, I would be selling the boat. As it is, I can't see myself keeping it past 2014 when the warranty expires.

Kind of a run on post but I didn't want to recommend something without giving the details.
Old 08-05-2009, 02:55 PM

Default Wow,..Nice Boat !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tredeb View Post
I have an Alumacraft Trophy 185 and it is a beautiful boat. When I bought it, I was also looking at a Lund Tyee 1750. I went up to a foot longer boat and paid $3000 less by going to Alumacraft. I am not sure how much difference there was in the cost of motors. I have the etec 150 and the lund had a Verado 150.

To be fair, I believe the Lund had about $1000 better electronics and trolling motor, but the Alumacraft came with bow cushions and a fourth seat.

I would recommend Alumacraft to anyone, but I can't do the same for the Etec. My motor has failed twice in two years(fixed on Warranty). I found a website that stresses the importance of hitting the correct RPM at WOT. According to them, even 3-400 RPM off is too much. I ended up raising my motor 1 notch and going down 2" of pitch in my prop. It raised my RPM by 600 and I stayed about the same for top end. I also told the dealer to shove the XD100 setting on my engine. I now run with XD100 on the XD50 setting.

That said, my etec runs very strong and performs well. I know a couple other guys who haven't had problems with theirs. Hopefully I just got a lemon, but it will be a long time before I quit waiting for the "other shoe to drop" on this motor. I have the 7 year warranty, and if it was off today, I would be selling the boat. As it is, I can't see myself keeping it past 2014 when the warranty expires.

Kind of a run on post but I didn't want to recommend something without giving the details.

Too bad about the motor. I suppose it happens though... Dunno about the year of your Evinrude, but The VERADO on a boat I was considering was a bloody MONSTER ! What a MASSIVE engine, way bigger than the E-TEC and almost 150lbs heavier too. How quiet is your E-TEC BTW ? Do you find it as quiet as the 4 stroke MERCS and YAMAHA's ?

Cheers,

/FC...
Old 08-05-2009, 10:31 PM

This is one thread I'd like to see a ton of feedback on. I'm am looking to upgrade my boat in the next year, and I'm very curious about Boats, motors, must haves...

I'd be interested to hear about Aluminum hulls (all welded vs. riveted), and about what dealerships to use...and nobody has to warn me about Shipwreck though...I wouldn't touch them with a 10 ft. POLE!!!
Old 08-06-2009, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmike View Post
This is one thread I'd like to see a ton of feedback on. I'm am looking to upgrade my boat in the next year, and I'm very curious about Boats, motors, must haves...

I'd be interested to hear about Aluminum hulls (all welded vs. riveted), and about what dealerships to use...and nobody has to warn me about Shipwreck though...I wouldn't touch them with a 10 ft. POLE!!!

All I can say is 'do your homework'.

Once you talk with someone at a DEALER, call the actual 'Manufacturer' and make sure that what you were told is actually TRUE. You would be VERY surprised at how VERY LITTLE many people at a Boat Dealer know about their own product. This is especially true when it comes to WARRANTY.

Cheers,

/FC...
Old 08-05-2009, 10:32 PM

If you want power but you want to be able to fish, I would recommend a 1750 Tyee (Lund), that can be equipped with with a 150 hp. Overall amazing boat!
Old 08-06-2009, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Midas View Post
If you want power but you want to be able to fish, I would recommend a 1750 Tyee (Lund), that can be equipped with with a 150 hp. Overall amazing boat!
Unfortunately,

..You need to be a "KING MIDAS" to afford such a boat !

/FC...
Old 08-06-2009, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floppychicken View Post
Too bad about the motor. I suppose it happens though... Dunno about the year of your Evinrude, but The VERADO on a boat I was considering was a bloody MONSTER ! What a MASSIVE engine, way bigger than the E-TEC and almost 150lbs heavier too. How quiet is your E-TEC BTW ? Do you find it as quiet as the 4 stroke MERCS and YAMAHA's ?

Cheers,

/FC...
My evinrude was a 2007 and is now a 2008 motor on a 2007 leg. I find it very quiet. It is quite easy to carry on a conversation at the high end of the throttle. I don't think it is as quiet as a 4stk at idle, but it is far from loud. For instance, I don't have to look if my water pump is working as I can hear when the water starts circulating out and it hits the water.

As far as the Verado goes, it was much larger than my etec. i am not sure on the weight but my etec weigh 529lbs or something like that. The ironic thing is, I shied away from the Verado because I was worried about the supercharger failing and I ended up having my etec fail.
Old 08-06-2009, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tredeb View Post
My evinrude was a 2007 and is now a 2008 motor on a 2007 leg. I find it very quiet. It is quite easy to carry on a conversation at the high end of the throttle. I don't think it is as quiet as a 4stk at idle, but it is far from loud. For instance, I don't have to look if my water pump is working as I can hear when the water starts circulating out and it hits the water.

As far as the Verado goes, it was much larger than my etec. i am not sure on the weight but my etec weigh 529lbs or something like that. The ironic thing is, I shied away from the Verado because I was worried about the supercharger failing and I ended up having my etec fail.

Figures eh ?

Sounds like you probably got a lemon, or a bit of bad luck....

I was talking briefly with a guy who had a brand new 115 e-Tec on an older model Alumacraft (much heavier than mine) and he was saying that it was way more powerful than the 4 stroke Merc he had on the back... We were in the water at the same time and he took off and was on plane and rapidly accelerating in about 3 seconds ! I'm not sure what his top-end was, but he was going a good 10 miles faster than I was with my 115 Optimax ! (I did have a couple more people in the boat however..) I would have loved to trade motors, just to see what the differences in speeds and handling would have been !

Apparently this was only his second time in the water and he had less than 5 hours on it.... I guess there 'really is' NO-BREAK in period for the E-TEC ! Although it was hard to tell, my engine was the ONLY thing I heard when the two boats were running while close together... The E-TEC sounded 'pretty sweet' though, when he shot outta' the hole ! Beautiful motor for sure...

Cheers,

/FC....