Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-18-2011, 11:02 PM

Default Ford f150 eco boost

Hey guys just wondering if anyone has bought the new eco boost. Just curious what they are like!
Old 04-19-2011, 01:12 AM

Father Inlaw took one out for a test drive in Phoenix last month. They had it hooked up to a 24foot travel trailer. He couldn't believe the torque it for a v6. He even lit the tires up pullin the trailer. From everything I've heard its the way to go if your in the market for half ton.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:10 AM

Default ecoboost reviews with towing

check out motortrends forum, has a 4x2 pulling empty, and with a load a great write up with mpg etc.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:33 AM

Watched a you tube video of an eco boost F150 and it pulled right ahead of the v8 chev and dodge hemi in a trailer pulling contest. IMHO those eco boosts pump out a crazy amount of power for such a small V6. Heres a link to the trailer pulling video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCQ6Du0f***

People can mess with life, but people can't mess with time.

Old 04-19-2011, 09:52 AM

Default F-150 FX4 Ecoboost

I have had one for not quite a week now so no real testing done yet. Lots of torque and power. Fuel economy seems to be really good right out of the box so that is good. First impressions are good but like I said a bit early to tell.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:03 AM

I'd like one but can't justify the extra 8 or 9 grand over a gm. It's hard to compare I know, the ford is almost twice the truck when you compare rated trailer tow, payload etc. but I just need it for getting mail, groceries etc. I've already got a 3/4 to and a one ton so all I care about is initial cost and cost to operate.
Steve
Old 04-19-2011, 11:13 AM
Banned

nicemustang has one. He is movin all his chit to the farm this week so im sure he has used it to pull the boat back over that way or something. if you want a good review, PM him asking to post one when he gets a chance.

He got it about a week before the move so the move was its big test
Old 04-19-2011, 12:15 PM

I've owned for about a month now,have not pulled anything with it yet though.The mileage is decent the Missus went to Calgary and back and used 84L for 543km the tank holds 98L.It has sports car performance in a pick-up.Talked to Lethbridge dealer the other day where I bought mine ,the salesman said that there 40 pick-ups on order with the Ecoboost engines in them
Old 04-19-2011, 12:42 PM

that much powwer small motor i cant see them being very long lasting like f1 cars are rebuilt every race
Old 04-19-2011, 12:58 PM

To you guys with the Ecoboost... what kind of fuel economy (litres / 100 km) are you getting according to your trip computer? Anyone had a chance to measure highway economy only?
Old 04-19-2011, 01:04 PM

Question Ford F150 recalls

Yikes! You Ford fellas really scare me. I tried to like the new trucks but I just can't get to liking them. Thought the F150crew with the 6.5ft box was a good idea... Drove a few, tried designing them on line and nope, just doesn't do it for me. All the way from the seatbelt/key chiming "ding! ding! ding!" right up to their 1.2 million recalls...

http://www.usrecallnews.com/2011/04/...50-recall.html

Oh well...I guess beauty is in the eyes of the beholder...
Good luck with your new Fords!
Old 04-19-2011, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coorslight View Post
that much powwer small motor i cant see them being very long lasting like f1 cars are rebuilt every race
Yeah I've though about that as well. A 20hp 250cc 4 stroke dirt bike's engine will last years while a 33HP 250cc performance 4 stroke dirt bike generally only last only a season judging by the reashearch I have done.

I would have to think that a less powerful V8 chev engine would be more reliable than a highly tuned first year V6 getting all that strain. Ford may have done their homework well though and designed the engine to handle that strain for many years on end.

People can mess with life, but people can't mess with time.

Old 04-19-2011, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Animal View Post
I've owned for about a month now,have not pulled anything with it yet though.The mileage is decent the Missus went to Calgary and back and used 84L for 543km the tank holds 98L.It has sports car performance in a pick-up.Talked to Lethbridge dealer the other day where I bought mine ,the salesman said that there 40 pick-ups on order with the Ecoboost engines in them
Yeah I heard they get real good fuel mileage, but 84L per 543km isnt any better then my 5.3L chev. Although thats with a lot more power.They must be comparable to the chevys in price arent they? I guess it depends on all the bells and whistles you get too
Old 04-19-2011, 02:05 PM

I sure hope your fuel economy improves...
I just got 609km on 91L @ 110km/hr w/2003 GMC 1500HD 4x4 w/6.0L, although city is probably a different story.

Nice trucks none the less.
Old 04-19-2011, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Animal View Post
That's 17 mpg, I would be inserting the truck in the showroom

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 04-19-2011, 10:30 PM

if this thread was in the fishing section..it well.....it would be deleted..lol
Old 04-20-2011, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
That's 17 mpg, I would be inserting the truck in the showroom
X2!! WTF thats horible I get better mileage with my 5.7L with a supercharger!!

sounds like the "eco" in ecoboost don't mean much.
Old 04-19-2011, 06:21 PM

I was hoping the new Fords would do a bit better than what I have heard reported. 18.9mpg is decent for doing 120kph in a truck but really not much better (or less) than what many of the 3/4 and 1 ton diesels get. The big three really should have come out with the 1/2 ton, small v8 diesel's they were testing a few years ago, before SHTF with the economy. Dodge had theirs epa cert for 35mpg, imagine a 1/2 ton that could pull high 20's low 30's mpg.
Old 04-19-2011, 06:25 PM
sheephunter

My F150 runs about 23.5mpg at 120 and over 25 at 100.
Old 04-19-2011, 06:49 PM
Banned

Sheep, is that the eco-boost?

I really like the new f150's. If that eco boost turns out to be a reliable engine, I'd sure consider getting one. Ford has some work to do on their engine credibility though if you ask me. Especially one packed with so much tech. One thing I have heard about the new fords (and the gm's for that matter) is their traction control puts the brakes on a spinning tire and if you're going through snow or something like that it will brake you to a stop. I know you can cancel the traction control, but I've heard it resets once you go over 50km/hr, so you have to keep cancelling it.

I recently rented a gm while my older superduty was in the shop...new tranny now. Didn't really like it that much. I actually liked my 2003 better.

Also rented a dodge hemi...nice power, and the mileage wasn't as bad as I expected...I'm guessing around 18 ish...never figured it out....just rough guessing. BUT I could hardly get in the truck without banging my knee in the steering column.
Old 04-19-2011, 06:54 PM
sheephunter

Nope 2010 5.4L
Old 04-19-2011, 08:13 PM

My Ecoboost is supposed to get 30mpg on the highway but time will tell. This is my first Ford after several GM's / Chev's. My last 2 GM's were a little hard on the pocket book so hopefully this Ford is better!! I am taking a beating from my buddies after slaggin Ford all these years. Time will tell if Ford has it right but in my mind they are the first to step up to the plate and try something new in a gas engine.
Old 04-25-2011, 03:09 AM

I know this isn't specifically on the Eco-boost but I found it interesting none the less seeign as they do ALOT more research into vehicles than we ever can.

http://autos.yahoo.com/news/the-wors...-20110418.html

Notice,, Ford is the only NA auto maker not on the list!