Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-03-2007, 08:18 PM

Default 204 ruger ammo?

hey boys and girls, need to hear from some of the guys with the 204 rifles. just picked up a remington 700 sps varmint chambered .204. 26 " heavy barrel.
for now i picked up hornady 40 grn vmax shells. will be primarily for yotes, mostly calling situations. want some feedback on whether to stick with the 40 grn or buy some of the 32 grn. or is there a better bullet choice out there. needs to be fur freindly. will eventually handload once i get some brass built up, then i want to try the varmint grenades in 36 grn.

would like to hear how well certain bullets did at certain ranges, knock down, short runs to the death, exit holes?

thanks and take care, rob
Old 12-03-2007, 08:55 PM

Hey rob congrats on the new caliber. My brother shoots a 204 i'll see what he uses, I think he uses the varmit gernades but can't be 100% sure. I know he's cranked some dogs that were easy 400yrds with it.

kelly
Old 12-03-2007, 09:05 PM

Default 204?

kelly, that wold be great, would like to hear what kinda loads with the varmint grenades as well. take care, rob
Old 12-03-2007, 09:23 PM

Most of the fellows who I know who have tried the 204 and V-Max bullets find it expands too quickly and doesn't give enough penetration on something as big as coyotes. Personally, I shot two coyotes with 32gr V-Max's and both died on the spot. However the entrance wounds were really nasty, indicating they were expanding too quickly. When those ran out I started loading 35gr Bergers and so far am very impressed. They seem to offer the right balance of penetration and rapid expansion with super accuracy too boot.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that Occasionally, a "magic" load turns up for a caliber. This is a load that is accurate in just about all rifles of that caliber and gives stellar performance at the varmint end. I think the 204 has one for coyotes: it's 35gr Bergers and 28gr of H4895. It's one of those combinations that just plain works.

triggerpress
Old 12-04-2007, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggerpress View Post
Most of the fellows who I know who have tried the 204 and V-Max bullets find it expands too quickly and doesn't give enough penetration on something as big as coyotes. Personally, I shot two coyotes with 32gr V-Max's and both died on the spot. However the entrance wounds were really nasty, indicating they were expanding too quickly. When those ran out I started loading 35gr Bergers and so far am very impressed. They seem to offer the right balance of penetration and rapid expansion with super accuracy too boot.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that Occasionally, a "magic" load turns up for a caliber. This is a load that is accurate in just about all rifles of that caliber and gives stellar performance at the varmint end. I think the 204 has one for coyotes: it's 35gr Bergers and 28gr of H4895. It's one of those combinations that just plain works.

triggerpress
Hey triggerpress, where you buying those Bergers? All I've tried so far in mine is 32 and 40 grain Nos BTs - the 40s shot a couple of half inchers, but I've heard they tend to exit on yotes, and I'd like to try the Bergers.
Old 12-05-2007, 08:56 AM

I have not ordered from here (I walked a couple of years worth over the border) but he is supposed to have them

http://www.rpsinternational.com/
Old 12-03-2007, 09:24 PM

Default 204

Hey id love to hear how that rifle works for you as i ordered the same one a few days back gettin ancy to get and make some noise im curious about the ammo as i ordered 2 boxes of the 40 grs to hope your pleased with it
cory
Old 12-03-2007, 09:37 PM

Default .204

cory, i picked the rifle up in edmonton today, threw a baush and lomb 6-24 on it and headed out to sight in. first shot 8 inches high, cranked it down some, second shot 3 inches high, third shot 3 inches high 1/2 right of the second, and the fourth and final shot same elevation, touching third shot. now that was shooting the 40 grn vmax of the corner of a calf shelter. once the weather warms up i will put it on a bench and see what it can really do. very little recoil, easy to see bullet impact, and was amazed how quiet the gun is, you hear the muzzle blast and then she is all quiet again. cant wait to get out and try it on some dogs. take care, rob
Old 12-03-2007, 09:42 PM

Default 204 loads?

trigger, what kinda velocity you getting with the 35 grn bergers? good penetration? no exit? thanks, rob
Old 12-13-2007, 01:52 AM

Location: Germany(at the time used to live in Canada will be returning soon))

Hi I own a VLS Rem in 204 and let me tell ya I had some bad times with this rifle I live in Germany at the time(and also hunt there),I went out one evening to go out for a hunt.At about 9 pm (in the summer) a fox passed my way and it had rained a little,I checked the range..Bang! I took the shot with the 204ruger tipped with the 32grain V-Max.

The fox dropped..all of a sudden he jumped back on all fours and took off!!! I just thought "damm I must of hit him good ?????"
A day later I found him dead about 163 yards away from were I shot him! Well what happend? Ill tell ya the vmax exploded on the wet pelt of the fox!Dont ask me why ? but it happend, I geuss it might be better to use a different typ of bullet then the Vmax(or better yet load em your self). Eny way that happend to me,and I thought Id share it with you. Dirk from Germany

P:s I hope to be back in Canada Soon!!!

Last edited by mike-ness; 12-13-2007 at 02:00 AM.