Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-22-2020, 07:31 PM

Default Baiting big game

Do people know it is unlawful (per the Alberta hunting regulations) to bait big game with the exception of black bear (only where permitted)? And why do Cabela’s and Bass Pro have this garbage on the floor in this province? That only serves to confuse the uniformed. I’m going to have to enquire with some managers.

If you need to bait deer, just go to the grocery store, you aren’t hunting.

Evidently, this grinds my gears.

Seriously people, read the regs. If you have questions about something, ask fish and wildlife. Don’t do anything if you aren’t certain of its legality. You should be able to ethically harvest game.

Happy, ethical hunting
Old 10-22-2020, 07:43 PM

They get away with it just like selling game callers with elk bugling, deer rattling or selling gaffs for fishing.
Old 10-22-2020, 07:46 PM

I buy salt blocks there because I like to see the deer from my deck. I don't shoot anything near any type of bait, but like to watch them year round. Although I see your point of view, not everyone uses it for nefarious purposes. Most of my neighbours use them for the same purpose and none of them hunt.

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk
Old 10-22-2020, 08:32 PM

Nothing illegal about baiting game if you aren’t hunting them.
Old 10-22-2020, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etownpaul View Post
Exactly!! They sell .22’s as well but you can’t use them on big game. Plain and simple know the regs before you hunt...end of story.
Old 10-22-2020, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter4ever12 View Post
Exactly!! They sell .22’s as well but you can’t use them on big game. Plain and simple know the regs before you hunt...end of story.

Well said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"I came to Ottawa with the firm belief that the only people in this country who should have guns are police officers and soldiers."

— Allan Rock, Canada's Minister of Justice
Maclean's "Taking aim on guns", 1994 April 25, Vol.107 Issue 17, page 12.

"... protection of life is NOT a legitimate use for a firearm in this country sir! Not! That is expressly ruled out!".

— Justice Minister Allan Rock
Old 10-23-2020, 07:09 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etownpaul View Post
Exactly and I feed the buggers all the time.....I get moose, deer, yotes, foxes and other four legged critters on my property all the time.....especially in Jan/February when it is cold.....if I happen to be in those stores I pick up a few variations of snacks for the critters.....nothing wrong with selling these products...just gotta be used legally like anything else sold....imagine getting all worked up because of car dealerships selling......encouraging speeding etc

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-23-2020, 07:43 AM

Interesting comments on this, I didn’t think you could bait or feed deer at all. I thought I had read something about feeding wildlife was not permitted.
Old 10-22-2020, 08:53 PM

If you need to bait deer, just go to the grocery store, you aren’t hunting.

Evidently, this grinds my gears.

Go to the grocery store? Not sure if I totally agree with that. I am new to Alberta and I know the regulations well enough to know I can’t bait deer. Which I sometimes wish we could here in Alberta. I am from NS where baiting is allowed. I have done both, bait, walk and stalk, and sometimes I think baiting is a bit safer lol. One thing I learned here in Alberta is that there are a lot of drive around hunters which was discussed in an earlier post, which is fine with me if they are legally doing it. Mind you that is when bullets whizz by people. One thing I like about baiting if it was allowed in AB, is I could walk a km in the brush and drop bait and not have to worry about anyone being around especially if there is no woods road, oil road or quad road. Most people in my area don’t venture far in the bush in my experience.

To each’s own.
Old 10-22-2020, 09:10 PM

I tend to agree with others. Just because they sell deer corn doesn’t mean that the people buying it are putting it directly in front of their tree stand. Some people use it in the summer months in front of their trail cameras which is completely legal.

I do see your point but people can buy these things from a feed store as well.

Just my two cents.
Old 10-22-2020, 09:58 PM

Default I Hunt

I go to Sask every year and grab a bag or two before I leave.
Anything no matter what you use can be used for the wrong purposes where ever you go or are.
WDF
Old 10-22-2020, 10:03 PM

You can legally bait big game to attract them to your game cams, the only issue is that some people either keep baiting while they hunt, or they stop baiting, but there is still bait remaining at the site they hunt. To legally hunt where you have baited, you would have to be sure that absolutely no bait remains.
Old 10-22-2020, 10:42 PM

Elkhunter I agree with your post on baiting. I was not aware that you can bait black bears in Alta for the purpose of hunting. The video which was posted not long ago about the black bear (hunt) where the two bozos were hiding in the camoflage tent and viewing the bait from a distance? Anyone who calls that hunting needs a consultation in ethics. IMO if you can be proud of that accomplishment anything illegal would be a short stretch.
Old 10-23-2020, 04:27 AM

We do not bait, never have, never will. However, we have found bait sites on our deeded and leased land. When asked about the legality of it to a fish officer, he said legal up til the beginning of any hunting season and legal after. But, he also stated that if the bait site can be seen from the hunters position at any distance, you’re in the wrong and will be charged. So if you’ve got your trail camera bait site setup and you’re blind or position in anywhere that the bait site can be seen, you’re done. And they’ll hammer you on it.

And if you think outfitters aren’t baiting...
Old 10-23-2020, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukongold View Post
Elkhunter I agree with your post on baiting. I was not aware that you can bait black bears in Alta for the purpose of hunting. The video which was posted not long ago about the black bear (hunt) where the two bozos were hiding in the camoflage tent and viewing the bait from a distance? Anyone who calls that hunting needs a consultation in ethics. IMO if you can be proud of that accomplishment anything illegal would be a short stretch.
Lots of people bait bears. What does baiting bears have to do with ethics if its completely legal? Your are allowed to bait deer etc. almost everywhere but Alberta. Everyone outside of Alberta is hunting unethically? weird comment in my opinion
Old 10-23-2020, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukongold View Post
Look who's baiting now lol. Maybe you're not a troll?

Black bear baiting is common, more common than not probably. From tree stands and blinds using barrels filled with bear attracting food, beaver carcasses being the number 1 bait. It's legal, no one is a bozo for hunting within the law. Bozos harass and are abusive towards hunters.
Old 10-23-2020, 07:41 AM

I just picked up 20 bales of alfalfa going to put it in front of my trail camera in my yard at my cabin. will not be hunting over it but I'll have elk deer moose coyotes wolves bears walking by it should have some good pictures next spring. But I can guarantee you lots of people bait I've worked for Outfitters that I was positive some of the guides were baiting what can you do either Legalize It are get more law enforcement,

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 10-23-2020, 02:08 PM

If I remember correctly baits have to be one mile from any Resident

Old 10-23-2020, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
If I remember correctly baits have to be one mile from any Resident

Correct, unless an owner or occupant of the dwelling, or authorized written permission from the owners or occupants of that dwelling.
Page 36 of the regs
Old 10-23-2020, 02:19 PM

Correction: Page 56 of the regs
Old 10-23-2020, 04:22 PM

In Alaska they used to be able to use planes and fly and land and shoot Grizzlies and kodiaks and anything else they wanted. Just because the government says it's legal are illegal it doesn't mean it's right, but as of now it is legal to do in Alberta and I did it for many years you can hunt the way you want but if it's legal it's legal. No need to knock us hunters that are legally hunting

Old 10-23-2020, 04:52 PM

35 Whelan, you couldn’t be more correct. If baiting is legal and that is the way you want to hunt go for it. If it is not legal and you do it then be prepared to be fined when caught. This whole argument around baiting ethics could also be applied to fishing, where legal bait helps in my opinion. Would I use it where prohibited, no way! We as hunters sure seem to nitpick each other because we may not agree with how others go about their hunt, if it’s legal let others do what they want, if illegal then report them.
Old 10-23-2020, 05:18 PM

I agree we are our own worst enemies when we judge each other by our own ideals, if people aren't breaking the law while hunting let them be.
However even though there is no law against feeding wildlife outside of our parks, solely for the purpose only to look at them, this I think is never a good idea and does more harm than good to these animals.
Old 10-23-2020, 06:06 PM

Always wondered. If a farmed spills some grain or leaves bales in his field it is legal to for others to hunt over this. So if same farm gathers up all the apples from under his trees because the coyotes are coming into his yard and he dumps them in a coulee or in the bushes is it legal for someone else to hunt over them?
Old 10-23-2020, 08:37 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperMike View Post
Always wondered. If a farmed spills some grain or leaves bales in his field it is legal to for others to hunt over this. So if same farm gathers up all the apples from under his trees because the coyotes are coming into his yard and he dumps them in a coulee or in the bushes is it legal for someone else to hunt over them?
If he spilled it, no problem, if he dumped it, you take a huge chance hunting anywhere near it.

If he dumped it in the bush, and you hunt over or near it, you should think about trying golf.

Impossible to prove it wasn't deliberate. Impossible to prove you didn't do it.

A spill looks like a spill, a dump looks like, well you know. , , , , , ,

George Bernard Shaw
Old 10-24-2020, 09:29 AM

If you're having any doubts about hunting I'm watching a show right now called stars in the sky Steve rinella

Old 10-24-2020, 09:44 PM

I’m happy to see some excellent discussion from this. I will admit my original post was made somewhat in anger, my bad.

Some very good points brought up by many as to why the stores sell bait. I had not thought about those reasons (they are irrelevant to me and my hunting methods) but they are valid none the less. And many of you are correct in pointing out that not everyone will use it for illegal purposes, but at the same time some will, human nature.

As a side note I get excellent pictures of many species of game (whitetail deer, mule deer, elk, moose) on my trail cams on crown land without the use of bait. I, as mentioned by others, read the trails and assess where the game will be, set up a camera, then sit back and enjoy the pictures.

As I said in my original post, I am against the use of illegal (to me that is unethical) hunting methods. If you are hunting within the laws of your jurisdiction, happy hunting.

I see many people breaking the law while hunting on crown land, and hear stories of it all the time. I wish there was more enforcement out there, or perhaps just more education as to what is and isn’t legal. I hadn’t really thought about reporting, but based on one of the above posts I will start doing that.

Stay safe out there everyone
Old 10-24-2020, 10:41 PM

Good to see a few people are considering Wildlife health and the topic of baiting.

I don't care about the ethics of baiting ungulates, but I sure do care about the risks imposed on Wildlife health by baiting.

This is a Wildlife Health issue.
Baiting/feeding Ungulates FOR ANY PURPOSE, should be illegal in Alberta.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 10-24-2020, 10:51 PM

I know in many states people plant certain crops to attract deer. Some of these places also use feeders to include "vitamins, hormones and other stuff" to enhance antler production.

It's one of those things where there "a line" but it's for the state or province to decide what's legal and it's up to the hunter to decide what he or she is comfortable with.

......... on another note .........

I once was invited "hunting" when I lived in the mid west and we drove out to a edge of a field, parked the truck, and watched the "feeder" at the far edge of the field for the deer to come in at dusk.

I can't say it was stimulating, but to some guys it was hunting. I explained how we "hunt" up here and the guy asked "that seems pretty dangerous, don't allot of people get shot" ..... (There are some places in the mid west where public land has a conservation officer marshaling people into parking spots) - literally.

As much as we complain about crowding - we have it pretty good - even compared to some crazy areas down in southern AB where it seems like it's getting pretty bad out there.
Old 10-25-2020, 02:11 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roamer View Post
I’m happy to see some excellent discussion from this. I will admit my original post was made somewhat in anger, my bad.

Some very good points brought up by many as to why the stores sell bait. I had not thought about those reasons (they are irrelevant to me and my hunting methods) but they are valid none the less. And many of you are correct in pointing out that not everyone will use it for illegal purposes, but at the same time some will, human nature.

As a side note I get excellent pictures of many species of game (whitetail deer, mule deer, elk, moose) on my trail cams on crown land without the use of bait. I, as mentioned by others, read the trails and assess where the game will be, set up a camera, then sit back and enjoy the pictures.

As I said in my original post, I am against the use of illegal (to me that is unethical) hunting methods. If you are hunting within the laws of your jurisdiction, happy hunting.

I see many people breaking the law while hunting on crown land, and hear stories of it all the time. I wish there was more enforcement out there, or perhaps just more education as to what is and isn’t legal. I hadn’t really thought about reporting, but based on one of the above posts I will start doing that.

Stay safe out there everyone

You think baiting is unethical, yet you see many people poaching and don't report it?
Isn't that unethical?

Dude you are starting to sound a lot like a guy I know of that used to drive a black dodge.

George Bernard Shaw