Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-09-2022, 12:58 PM

Default The Great American Ammunition Conspiracy

A good read regarding ammunition shortages.

https://prospect.org/economy/great-a...on-conspiracy/
Old 04-09-2022, 01:46 PM

I don't see a conspiracy, I've been following this on a another forum, people are hoarding the stuff to a point where some could keep the Ukrainian military going for a few months. People are scared and they have every reason to be.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 04-09-2022, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams1 View Post
People are scared and they have every reason to be.

Grizz

What are the reasons other than the mindless factions down there freaking out every time a Democrat gets elected president? "Omg..Kennedys going to take away our guns." Omg...Carters going to take away our guns." "Omg...Clinton....Obama.....Biden are going to take away our guns." "Waaaaaa."

Sometimes Darwin was wrong and the good old US of A never misses a good opportunity to freak. They probably buy more guns so they can hunt down those dastardly baby eaters hiding in pizza shop basements. Hahaha.
Old 04-09-2022, 02:53 PM

People buying larger quantities surely is a contributing factor. Consider too recent commodity increases for copper too, those raw materials aren’t getting any cheaper. As more people increase their ‘emergency stockpiles’, that effects commodity prices too. The electric vehicle market is a large driver of the surge on copper, and that increased need won’t be going away anytime soon.

That said, there are lots more manufacturers than the monster companies under Vista’s corporate umbrella, there’s Hornady, Barnes, Magtech, Black Hills, Sig, Fiocchi, Norma, Lapua, RUAG, etc. It’s not a monopoly or duopoly by a long shot.
Old 04-09-2022, 04:19 PM

Reasons ammo supplies disrupted -
Remington went bankrupt, shut down 2+ years
RIO shut down US production
Covid shut down European ammo makers
Kent, Aguila, RST, Challenger, Score, all depend on Euro components - I'm sure that I missed some
Transportation disrupted
Container shipping costs up 3-10 fold
Raw Plastic supplies, sheet steel and brass stock in short supply
Oh, and hoarding by US consumers
Old 04-09-2022, 05:26 PM
Banned

Arrow

Has anyone here looked at the last couple year's of firearms sales Stateside?
If not, you should.
The numbers are staggering.
And those toys need to be fed...

My Brother is a federally registered dealer down there.
He suggests while there is "some" hoarding going on, the main reasons for shortages are simply folks buying ammo for their latest toys.

Our Canadian market is inconsequential in comparison.

Nog
Old 04-09-2022, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
What are the reasons other than the mindless factions down there freaking out every time a Democrat gets elected president? "Omg..Kennedys going to take away our guns." Omg...Carters going to take away our guns." "Omg...Clinton....Obama.....Biden are going to take away our guns." "Waaaaaa."

Sometimes Darwin was wrong and the good old US of A never misses a good opportunity to freak. They probably buy more guns so they can hunt down those dastardly baby eaters hiding in pizza shop basements. Hahaha.
I’d rather have it then be complaining because I don’t. If you don’t buy it someone else will. I’d say there’s more to the shortage than just a democrat on Pennsylvania Avenue.
Old 04-09-2022, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
I’d rather have it then be complaining because I don’t. If you don’t buy it someone else will. I’d say there’s more to the shortage than just a democrat on Pennsylvania Avenue.
The 3 prime reasons for the record rise in firearms sales in 2020 are said to be political division, racial division, and covid. Covid concerns have waned to a large degree but the economic burdens and issues created because of it will be around for some time I'd think.

Couple of excerpts from a decent article below.

Surges in U.S. firearm sales have in recent decades been predictably driven by events sparking fears of impending gun-control legislation, such as the election of a Democratic president or a spate of mass shootings, federal gun background check data show. Industry experts and academics who study gun ownership say such surges came largely among the gun-industry’s core base of white, male and politically conservative customers who often already owned one or multiple guns.

Historically, white males are overwhelmingly the biggest group buying guns in the United States. Nearly half of white men in America own a gun, compared to about a quarter of nonwhite men, according to a 2017 study by the nonpartisan Pew Research Center.

There’s not enough data to confirm whether those demographics have substantially changed with this year’s rush of gun-buying, three academic experts on the gun industry told Reuters in interviews. But it’s clear that deep political and racial divisions in this tumultuous year are driving up firearm sales, said Florida State University public health professor Benjamin Dowd-Arrow. In these tense times, he said, buyers across the ideological spectrum view themselves as the “good guys” protecting themselves from “bad guys.”

“So all the ‘good guys’ need to go out and buy a gun,” he said

Full link is here. http://https://www.nbcnews.com/busin...ction-n1243510
Old 04-09-2022, 07:26 PM

Hoarding in the US

My friend in Tyler Texas sent me a picture and a video

The picture was of his shed, which held 1 million rounds of ammo....

The video was of his neighbors quanset. He was moving pallets of ammo. He bought 10 million rounds of ammo...

Two retired guys in Texas. 11 million rounds of ammo.

Tells you something.....
Old 04-09-2022, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
The 3 prime reasons for the record rise in firearms sales in 2020 are said to be political division, racial division, and covid. Covid concerns have waned to a large degree but the economic burdens and issues created because of it will be around for some time I'd think.

Couple of excerpts from a decent article below.

Surges in U.S. firearm sales have in recent decades been predictably driven by events sparking fears of impending gun-control legislation, such as the election of a Democratic president or a spate of mass shootings, federal gun background check data show. Industry experts and academics who study gun ownership say such surges came largely among the gun-industry’s core base of white, male and politically conservative customers who often already owned one or multiple guns.

Historically, white males are overwhelmingly the biggest group buying guns in the United States. Nearly half of white men in America own a gun, compared to about a quarter of nonwhite men, according to a 2017 study by the nonpartisan Pew Research Center.

There’s not enough data to confirm whether those demographics have substantially changed with this year’s rush of gun-buying, three academic experts on the gun industry told Reuters in interviews. But it’s clear that deep political and racial divisions in this tumultuous year are driving up firearm sales, said Florida State University public health professor Benjamin Dowd-Arrow. In these tense times, he said, buyers across the ideological spectrum view themselves as the “good guys” protecting themselves from “bad guys.”

“So all the ‘good guys’ need to go out and buy a gun,” he said

Full link is here. http://https://www.nbcnews.com/busin...ction-n1243510
I don’t deny politics plays a roll, I simply stated I think there is more to it than just that. You literally started your reply stating that. Forgive me im also very skeptical of the media as they only report on what they want and spin it however they can to further their agenda. As someone already mentioned Remington going bankrupt did not help with loaded ammo or components. Add in an already tight market, high demand with less raw materials and increasing prices of those raw materials all plays a larger roll than the media who turns everything political will admit.