Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-27-2023, 03:48 PM

Default #7 Cylinder Misfire help.

Hey guys need some help with my 2012 5.7l Hemi Dodge Ram 2500. Truck has 250,000K on it with no rust yet. Any way last week had a diagnostic code #7 cylinder misfire. Drove it for a week and took it in to my local mechanic. He switched the coil pack and #7 still misfired. He changed out the plugs with new ones and the same thing.He now thinks it could be the cam that needs to be replaced. Anyway he suggested I take it to the dealer to confirm and if it is the cam to have them do the work as he is not set up to be able to take the cab off and tie the bay up for that amount of time.
So if it is a cam I could be looking at $5000.00+ for repair.
Would you consider putting in a new or rebuilt engine ? and how much more would that cost?
Trying to find a good used truck of the same year is $18k++ which I don't have.
Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers.
Old 01-27-2023, 03:55 PM

Ez to find if need a cam , pull valve cover and watch lifters the one that moves the least is bad cam lobe , put in rebuilt engine, all that metal went through the rest of bearings, rebuild you're looking at about $11000 all in
Old 01-27-2023, 05:02 PM

You may have a broken valve spring.
Old 01-27-2023, 05:10 PM

Take a stethoscope and listen to your injectors then compare the sounds. Ran into this many times on different vehicles.

Codes read misfire which is correct and I've changed plugs with the same issue.
Check the injectors with ohm meter and all read the same, Last resort was the stethoscope and there was a big difference in sound.

In order to be a smart azz, you have to be smart otherwise you are just an azz.

You're offended.... I think it is funny and that is why I am happier than you.
Old 01-27-2023, 05:27 PM

Do a compression test before anything else then pull valve cover. I’ve seen same year truck have a burnt valve that just requires the head to come off and a little valve work but my shop is set up to do head work
Old 01-27-2023, 05:45 PM

Compression (and timing). Spark. Fuel:air mix. You need all of them.

Your local should be able to point you to which element you're missing.
Old 01-28-2023, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fed View Post
Do a compression test before anything else then pull valve cover. I’ve seen same year truck have a burnt valve that just requires the head to come off and a little valve work but my shop is set up to do head work
^^^^^^^^^^2X^^^^^^^^^^^^
Old 01-30-2023, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitting Bull View Post
Hey guys need some help with my 2012 5.7l Hemi Dodge Ram 2500. Truck has 250,000K on it with no rust yet. Any way last week had a diagnostic code #7 cylinder misfire. Drove it for a week and took it in to my local mechanic. He switched the coil pack and #7 still misfired. He changed out the plugs with new ones and the same thing.He now thinks it could be the cam that needs to be replaced. Anyway he suggested I take it to the dealer to confirm and if it is the cam to have them do the work as he is not set up to be able to take the cab off and tie the bay up for that amount of time.
So if it is a cam I could be looking at $5000.00+ for repair.
Would you consider putting in a new or rebuilt engine ? and how much more would that cost?
Trying to find a good used truck of the same year is $18k++ which I don't have.
Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers.

Sounds odd that your local mechanic could not accurately diagnosis your problem, not rocket science here.
Old 01-30-2023, 08:05 PM

Sounds odd your local mechanic can't identify your problem, not rocket science here, start with compression test.
Old 02-02-2023, 07:01 AM

Really sorry you're going through this. I was in this situation 3, I think? Summers ago now, was climbing a mountain with my fifth wheel and my truck spun a bearing. All the costs associated with it make ya feel pretty low I know. It sucks, but at least you know what needs to happen now. I'll give you a rundown of what I did.

I monitored car-part.com for a junkyard engine with less km then my truck had with a good description on it for an ok price. I bought the engine and brought it home and slowly picked away at the high failure point items while I had it on the engine stand. I would try that route and put new cams in it will be way cheaper then going with a crate or already rebuilt engine. The cams on these hemi's are on the easier side of cam jobs you could do, so if you have no experience it's a decent engine to start on. On top of that, there is no shortage of YouTube videos and reading materials on this job on a hemi. I'm even open to answering any questions you may have if you end up trying to do it yourself.

Again I'm really sorry, I know it's real deflating but you'll get her back on the road one day here, and I'll tell ya, nothing more rewarding than the feeling of driving a truck you've put that kind of work into. Best of luck.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk