Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-30-2017, 08:35 AM

Default Gun massacre survivors, family members press Liberals for stronger laws

Will Trudeau give them a tearful apology or are we going to see more banning or restrictions? Also interesting how the prohibited firearms increased

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/gun-...laws-1.4426086

Representatives call on Trudeau government to fulfil 2015 campaign promises on gun control measures

Survivors and family members of victims of gun massacres in Canada are on Parliament Hill in Ottawa today to press the federal government for tougher firearms laws.
Representatives of those affected by the École Polytechnique, Dawson College and Quebec mosque mass shootings want the Liberal government to provide a precise timetable for the tabling of a gun control bill.
They are holding a news conference at 9 a.m. ET and CBCNews.ca is carrying it live.

The representatives said they are losing hope that the government will table legislation by the end of 2017 as promised, and outlined the human costs of what they called "weak" laws related to possession permits, gun sales and the availability of assault weapons, which include most of the models used in recent mass shootings south of the border.

Meaghan Hennigan, who survived two gunshots in 2006 at Dawson College, said she is disappointed in the Liberal progress on gun control to date.
"Most Canadians would be shocked to learn that the guns used in recent mass shootings in the United States are freely available for private ownership in Canada," she said. "Many assault weapons are unrestricted. It's ridiculously messed up. These are the kinds of weapons an individual can seriously injure or kill above 50 people within a mere matter of minutes."
Election promises on gun control
During the 2015 election campaign, the Liberals promised sweeping measures to "get handguns and assault weapons off our streets." They included:
Enhanced background checks for gun buyers.
Stronger record-keeping requirements for sellers.
Tougher transport rules.
Investment in task forces tackling illegal firearms.
Scott Bardsley, spokesperson for Public Safety Minister Ralph Goodale, said the government will be introducing a legislative package "consistent with the measures laid out in our election platform" in the near future.
"The government believes in effective firearms measures that prioritize public safety while ensuring fair treatment for law-abiding firearms owners," he said.
Bardsley said the government has already taken steps to toughen gun control including:
Reversing a ministerial directive that allowed gun manufacturers to determine the classification of their own products.
Established a more balanced Firearms Advisory Committee that represents a broad range of interests.
Tabled Bill C-52 to permit the sharing of the Quebec-related portion of the remaining non-restricted firearms registration records with that province.
Announced $327.6 million over five years, and $100 million each year after, in funding to reduce gun crime and criminal gang activities.
Earlier this year, CBC News reported there are now more than a million restricted and prohibited firearms across the country.
The number of restricted firearms in Canada rose 5.5 per cent in 2016, reaching its highest point in more than a decade, according to the annual report from the RCMP's commissioner of firearms. There are now 839,295 restricted firearms, many of them handguns.
The number of prohibited firearms in Canada, such as fully automatic guns, edged up half a per cent to 183,333.
Old 11-30-2017, 08:48 AM

It's sad that many of the people complaining about our firearms laws, are actually totally ignorant when it comes to our firearms laws. As for "assault" rifles, less than 10% of the people that use the word likely know what an assault rifle is.
Old 11-30-2017, 09:23 AM

CBC is running this as there lead story of course. Surprisingly the comments are enabled
Old 11-30-2017, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichaud View Post
CBC is running this as there lead story of course. Surprisingly the comments are enabled
The Liberals have been having a bad week, distraction time.
Old 11-30-2017, 11:53 AM

Umm I'm sorry 'sob' we were wrong 'wipe eye' ummm this will ' sob, tear drop' ummm never happen again........
Old 11-30-2017, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichaud View Post
I was encouraged to see that the vast majority of the "Most Liked" comments seem to be pro gun and include a healthy dose of common sense.
Old 11-30-2017, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
I was encouraged to see that the vast majority of the "Most Liked" comments seem to be pro gun and include a healthy dose of common sense.
CBC is disabling comments they don't like

Mine was disabled but not before it got 22 likes

"Using pictures of guns that already banned and using incidents from another country to push their agenda are typical Liberal propaganda supported by the poor reporting of the CBC."

Must have hit a nerve
Old 11-30-2017, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
I wonder if it has anything to do with all the new young hunters?
Old 11-30-2017, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
CBC is disabling comments they don't like

Mine was disabled but not before it got 22 likes

"Using pictures of guns that already banned and using incidents from another country to push their agenda are typical Liberal propaganda supported by the poor reporting of the CBC."

Must have hit a nerve
I'm surprised my comment hasn't been removed yet. 112 likes and counting.
Old 11-30-2017, 01:33 PM

Default How this works

The government wants to know what Canadians think. Will this get or lose votes, will the opposition oppose it?

This one may have legs, it is not based on morals/logic it is based on will this help win an election.

Both parties will try to find out.
Old 11-30-2017, 01:34 PM

no more gun laws
Old 11-30-2017, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post
The government wants to know what Canadians think. Will this get or lose votes, will the opposition oppose it?

This one may have legs, it is not based on morals/logic it is based on will this help win an election.

Both parties will try to find out.
I agree, it definitely isn't about facts.
Old 11-30-2017, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcbride View Post
The Liberals have been having a bad week, distraction time.
They are actually giving the Liberals a hard time for dragging their feet on gun related election promises.
Old 11-30-2017, 07:59 PM

Strange how a guy with a gun started the shootings and a guy with a gun ended it

Suicide or not, it ended it

I’m sure anyone who was there hiding was hoping a man with a gun would show up and end it

The minute we make people accountable for their actions, the sooner you might get the desired results

Banning guns doesn’t work. Never will

But, emotion always fuels it. And it comes back like a flu.

Emotional people trying to deal with logic. Doesn’t work.

Oh, and for the record, just because you were at school that day, it doesn’t make you a “survivor”. If you took a bullet, you were a random, faceless target to a killer. Nothing more.

Wanna be mad and emotional at something? Go after the killer. If he’s dead, dig him up and kick his bones around.

Blaming a hunk of metal is simply idiotic
Old 11-30-2017, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ward View Post
They are actually giving the Liberals a hard time for dragging their feet on gun related election promises.
I am pretty sure the Liberals would rather be dealing with this than Mr. Morneau right now.
Old 11-30-2017, 10:34 PM
Banned

Did anyone see the CBC piece tonight where they interviewed three antigun twits about more legislation.
One of the so-called experts mentioned the recent shootings in Vegas and elsewhere and how they were committed with the dreaded AR-57.
He said it twice.
WTF is an AR-57?
God how I despise the CBC.
Old 11-30-2017, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
Did anyone see the CBC piece tonight where they interviewed three antigun twits about more legislation.
One of the so-called experts mentioned the recent shootings in Vegas and elsewhere and how they were committed with the dreaded AR-57.
He said it twice.
WTF is an AR-57?
The AR57 has 42 more bullets?
Old 12-01-2017, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
Oh, and for the record, just because you were at school that day, it doesn’t make you a “survivor”. If you took a bullet, you were a random, faceless target to a killer. Nothing more.

Wanna be mad and emotional at something? Go after the killer. If he’s dead, dig him up and kick his bones around.

Blaming a hunk of metal is simply idiotic
Even when people actually were shot and survived and they either become militant Anti's or at the very least paid poster-children for the Anti's it holds no water. Being shot makes you no more of a firearms expert than being run over by a car makes you a qualified mechanic.
Old 12-01-2017, 05:34 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

What's an assault weapon?

One that sits idle for many years? One that is used occasionally for hunting? One that is used for the odd hunting trip? Then is picked up by a maniac and then transfers from a rifle to an assault rifle...going in the wrong direction I say.

Take the monsters that do hideous crimes, acts of violence and execute them immediately then we normal people can go back to having our assault rifles transfer magically in our hands to rifles.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-01-2017, 05:35 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
He said it twice.
WTF is an AR-57?
That's because this moron if asked will tell ya milk comes from a store.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-01-2017, 06:46 AM

When I was watching it, they said they will not be tabling any legislation this year, but they will next year. Crazy.
Old 12-01-2017, 06:48 AM

Quote:
He said it twice.
WTF is an AR-57?
The idiots know nothing about firearms, but they don't let details like that interfere with their argument.
Old 12-01-2017, 06:51 AM

Default Canadian Communism

Is ringing the doorbell.What it needs is 220volt welcome mat.
Old 12-01-2017, 11:45 AM
Banned

Lots of people on this forum would probably be okay with the government banning handguns and black rifles. Don't kid yourselves, fudds are no better than anti gun people. They just don't realize grandpas 12ga and 3006 will be next.
Old 12-01-2017, 01:56 PM
Banned

Now here's something that was brought up in the CBC piece that I didn't know about...and in my opinion shows that the RCMP is already doing as much as can be reasonably expected.
I did not know that every single day the PAL/RPAL database is is checked against any charges laid by a police dept.
Every day.
So...you get a ticket or other misdemeanor charge and nothing happens.
But say is shows that yesterday you were charged with assault.
Your're immediately flagged flagged and put on a watch list. And of course if you are found guilty you loose your PAL.
But the fact that it is checked every day...how is having to (for example) register our long guns going to do anything more.
Old 12-01-2017, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Now here's something that was brought up in the CBC piece that I didn't know about...and in my opinion shows that the RCMP is already doing as much as can be reasonably expected.
I did not know that every single day the PAL/RPAL database is is checked against any charges laid by a police dept.
Every day.
So...you get a ticket or other misdemeanor charge and nothing happens.
But say is shows that yesterday you were charged with assault.
Your're immediately flagged flagged and put on a watch list. And of course if you are found guilty you loose your PAL.
But the fact that it is checked every day...how is having to (for example) register our long guns going to do anything more.
And on the other side of the coin, some people that have been convicted of violent crimes or of making death threats are allowed to keep their PAL. Quite a few years ago the CFO denied a woman from Lac La Biche a PAL, because she had been found guilty of uttering death threats. The case ended up in court, and the judge ruled that the woman must be allowed to have a PAL in order to carry on hunting as per her rights. As well, some people never have to take a course, or pass a test to obtain a PAL.
Old 12-02-2017, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by play.soccer View Post
Lots of people on this forum would probably be okay with the government banning handguns and black rifles. Don't kid yourselves, fudds are no better than anti gun people. They just don't realize grandpas 12ga and 3006 will be next.
i see lots of comments saying "im a gun owner and no one needs a handgun or AR15" and i wish i could slap some sense into them through the computer

thats better
Old 12-02-2017, 07:58 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by play.soccer View Post
Yup. A bunch of wet noodles if you ask me.
Old 12-02-2017, 08:01 AM

I no longer own any restricted firearms, but I do support other firearms owners that do want to own them.
Old 12-02-2017, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post
i see lots of comments saying "im a gun owner and no one needs a handgun or AR15" and i wish i could slap some sense into them through the computer

thats better
Kind of like the people that just want to tax the "rich" and don't think the tax increases will trick down in the coming years.