Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-30-2013, 01:02 PM

Talking dyed smelts and herring

Hey guys, tried dying some bait. Turned out great! Only problem is that i was trying to get green and ended up with blue haha. Not too sure why, i used green food colouring so u wud think its gonna be green bait but no, turned out blue. Got another batch being dyed right now, hopefully the next ones will turn out green! Heres a few pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100MEDIA_IMAG0300.jpg (12.8 KB, 139 views)
File Type: jpg 100MEDIA_IMAG0299.jpg (16.2 KB, 119 views)
Old 01-30-2013, 01:17 PM

There is an easier way. There is a product that used on the West Coast for curing and dying herring and anchovies. I have to check my tackle box, but I think its made by Pro-cure. It cures and dyes bait all in one step. Works great.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:51 PM

Try yellow with just a small drop of green to get a lime colour.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:57 PM

The batch i have right now dying is yellow mixed with a small amount of green so hopefully it will work. And as for the pro cure stuff, i think i will be placing an order in to them! Looks like a kick **s product!
Old 01-30-2013, 02:01 PM

I was pike fishing last weekend and the green(lime) dyed bait by far outfished the other baits that were not dyed. I am planning on dyeing a bunch myself so glad you posted this thread!
Old 01-30-2013, 02:20 PM

I dyed a bunch last week and they worked awesome and when they hit it super aggressive. I dyed a bunch of packs the dye I thought was red was purple and the green was blue let's say I have alot of interesting different colored bait now all worked good. They must love seeing a change from the same old colored herring and smelt.
Old 01-30-2013, 02:43 PM

Default Easy way?

Go to the dollar store and look for bingo dabbers....any color you want. Paint the bait as bright or dark as you like.

"There seems to be alot of urinating in breakfast cereal around here." - Rackman, 2010

"It is true, there are dead beat dads out there, and there are thousands of dead beat moms too, who live off the efforts of good men trying to do the right thing." -KegRiver, 2011

"You have social media to thank for turning everyone into self-righteous know-it-alls.." -random internet dude, 2015
Old 01-30-2013, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack&7 View Post
Go to the dollar store and look for bingo dabbers....any color you want. Paint the bait as bright or dark as you like.
Good idea
Old 01-30-2013, 03:58 PM

Do you notice a signaficant difference in action between dyed and jut a regular smelt??
Old 01-30-2013, 04:27 PM

Would you mind posting your procedure for how you cure/dye them?? If not I understand too thanks.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:40 PM

Quote:
They make color pens for bait, can pick them up at the fishin hole, what's in the ink from a bingo dabbler, if there from the dollar store, you can guarantee it ain't healthy for the fish if it digests the bait.....although I'm not a 100 percent sure on the ingredients in a dabber..just a concern..Not tryin to bash anyone.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamonddave View Post
Do you notice a signaficant difference in action between dyed and jut a regular smelt??
I have, I usually use the pink ones, but have had just as good with the green ones....
Old 01-30-2013, 06:07 PM

Tried them all. Still think shiny silver salt cured are still the best. 2nd choice would be pink but shinier is better IMO. Hard to say if 1 hole is producing because of bait over the other. We've all been there when 1 hole catches all and another 5 feet away doesn't hit all day. Experimented with different baits but it's always the hole that produces.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverfisher View Post
The batch i have right now dying is yellow mixed with a small amount of green so hopefully it will work. And as for the pro cure stuff, i think i will be placing an order in to them! Looks like a kick **s product!
Speaking of procure I'm going to start stocking that stuff , so if you or anyone else is interested in my first shipment that I've yet made but will by Friday , let me know if you are interested , it will have you the cost of duty .
Old 01-30-2013, 08:20 PM

First thaw ur bait out ompletely in a ziploc bag in the fridge, then take a baking pan, cover it with 4 layers of paper towl. Lay bait out flat and use extra paper towl to dab the water off ur bait. Then put ur bait in a fresh ziploc and put ur bait in, take a 1 litre mason jar and fill a quarter full of coars salt, rest fill water. Mix WELL, then pour half to 3/4 of the water solution in with ur bait, then add ur die, use quite a bit. Soak overnight in fridge, in morning take out, repeat the same drying technique i stated before, then put bait in large freezer bag, fill till salt covers bait. Take all the air out, put in a plastic container and put it in your fridge. The salt cures the bait completey and lasts along time in the fridge with no smell.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacklerunner View Post
Try yellow with just a small drop of green to get a lime colour.
this
Old 01-30-2013, 08:30 PM

Hope that helps anybody trying this! Its takin some trial and error to get it right but the finished product looks pretty awesome, headed out friday to give it a shot. Also built myself a version of an automatic fisherman to try out. Should be an interesting day!
Old 01-30-2013, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pike_king780 View Post
Would you mind posting your procedure for how you cure/dye them?? If not I understand too thanks.
I got this from Tacklerunner some years ago...works well.

Then I just paint them with the bingo dabbers.

http://www.lakemichiganangler.com/ti...ed_minnows.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba 96 View Post
They make color pens for bait, can pick them up at the fishin hole, what's in the ink from a bingo dabbler, if there from the dollar store, you can guarantee it ain't healthy for the fish if it digests the bait.....although I'm not a 100 percent sure on the ingredients in a dabber..just a concern..Not tryin to bash anyone.
Fair enough. And I was concerned about that too, so I looked it up. It seems the company that makes them has been making them for as long as bingo has existed and they are based out of the States...so at the very least, the dye isn't some lead-based stuff from China...or so I hope. I could not actually verify what was in it, but I would think it would be safe. All the old Grannies out there would be dropping like flies if it wasn't.

Just kidding...or am I?

"There seems to be alot of urinating in breakfast cereal around here." - Rackman, 2010

"It is true, there are dead beat dads out there, and there are thousands of dead beat moms too, who live off the efforts of good men trying to do the right thing." -KegRiver, 2011

"You have social media to thank for turning everyone into self-righteous know-it-alls.." -random internet dude, 2015
Old 01-30-2013, 09:46 PM

Quote:

Fair enough. And I was concerned about that too, so I looked it up. It seems the company that makes them has been making them for as long as bingo has existed and they are based out of the States...so at the very least, the dye isn't some lead-based stuff from China...or so I hope. I could not actually verify what was in it, but I would think it would be safe. All the old Grannies out there would be dropping like flies if it wasn't.

Just kidding...or am I?

Lol that's funny chit..
Old 01-30-2013, 11:00 PM

I was curious about the bingo dauber thing so i just checked and found a brand called lulusomo that is enviromentally friendly.......MADE IN CHINA........so really not sure if their enviromentally friendly means the same as our
Old 01-31-2013, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverfisher View Post
First thaw ur bait out ompletely in a ziploc bag in the fridge, then take a baking pan, cover it with 4 layers of paper towl. Lay bait out flat and use extra paper towl to dab the water off ur bait. Then put ur bait in a fresh ziploc and put ur bait in, take a 1 litre mason jar and fill a quarter full of coars salt, rest fill water. Mix WELL, then pour half to 3/4 of the water solution in with ur bait, then add ur die, use quite a bit. Soak overnight in fridge, in morning take out, repeat the same drying technique i stated before, then put bait in large freezer bag, fill till salt covers bait. Take all the air out, put in a plastic container and put it in your fridge. The salt cures the bait completey and lasts along time in the fridge with no smell.
thanks for the tips looks like a great idea! cant wait to give it a shot thanks again
Old 01-31-2013, 05:25 AM

Quote:

good link thanks as well for your help!! ive been salting my minnows for couple years now but my method wasnt as easy and simple as these ways.!!
Old 01-31-2013, 05:39 PM

This is the second attempt at green, and as you can see it worked! I will post how they do tomorrow night, headed to the lake tomorrow at 10 am. Good luck to anybody fishing tomorrow!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100MEDIA_IMAG0302.jpg (11.9 KB, 39 views)