Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-02-2015, 01:15 PM

Default Reloading and Brass selection

Throwing the cost of brass out of the equation Are there many pro's to using Norma Brass over Remington or Winchester? Thanks. Don't slaughter me just looking for info in an area where I have little.
Old 01-02-2015, 01:23 PM

I prefer Lapua if they make brass for the cartridge, or if I can easily form the cases from Lapua brass. I have used Norma brass, but some of it was a little on the soft side. I avoid Federal brass, and I am not at all fond of Hornady brass either. I do use Remington, in instances where Lapua brass is not available.
Old 01-02-2015, 01:59 PM
Banned

Default All adaquate.

Norma brass is fine to use . I prefer Winchester over Remington, but it really just a preference . Not sure I can tell you why. Just what I have always bought.
Old 01-02-2015, 02:49 PM

Don't know if other calibers are similar, but with 308, I found both Federal and Remington to be both thicker and softer than Winchester. Also tried Nosler custom which was also soft and thick. Accuracy seemed OK with each brand, but the thinner, harder stuff always seemed to give me more reloads. No experience with Norma, but now use Lapua for almost everything.
Old 01-03-2015, 01:44 PM
Precisionshooter

Uniformity of brass - thickness in neck and body........primer pocket depth..flash hole diameter...drilled or punched.... mechanical properties/chemical composition etc. typically you get what you pay for. I tend to use lapua or norma and sometimes nosler. Lapua seems to be lower priced if they make the casing you are looking for. Other brands are last choices and tend to need more case prep...with higher waste ratios. Also selection depends on what you want to use the brass for. How critical you are or if you just want it to go safely bang......at a low cost.