Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-01-2015, 11:35 AM

Default Beretta A400's Vs Winchester SX3

Hey guys wondering if anyone had input on semi-auto 12g's
I think I have it narrowed down to three guns

A400 Xcel "blue action w/kickoff 30" "

A400 Xplor Action "bronze action w/kickoff 30" "

Winchester SX3 Sporting 30"

I realize the SX3 will only take 2 3/4 shells, 90% of my shooting is skeet/trap. I'd like to hear from the guys that own/use them for some feedback!
Old 06-01-2015, 01:00 PM

Default choices

If a winchester was the last semi auto available in the world I'd shoot a cooey single shot...LOl
Love Beretta semi auto shotguns..FS
Old 06-01-2015, 04:10 PM

I can't comment on the Winchester, never shot one, but I can sure tell you how much I love my A400 Xplor. I opted for the wood furniture and no kickoff, and it really is pleasant to shoot...never a single problem feeding/cycling, even after a particularily long session and put 500 through it in a day. It was dirty, but ran like a champ. Great pointing and shooting gun, wouldn't trade it.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 06-01-2015, 04:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faststeel View Post
If a winchester was the last semi auto available in the world I'd shoot a cooey single shot...LOl
Love Beretta semi auto shotguns..FS
Oooooo, ouch.
Old 06-01-2015, 04:19 PM

I bought a 30" SX3 sporting about a month ago. I honestly cannot say enough good things about it.

If you are struggling to decide, make a trip out to Silver Willow Sporting Clays. They will let you try/rent before you buy.
Old 06-01-2015, 04:52 PM

Elk11, who knows a thing or two about shotguns loves his SX3.
Old 06-01-2015, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
Oooooo, ouch.
I had a Win, Golden clays 5 years ago, a real POS, and fairly pricy at that time..FS
Old 06-01-2015, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Elk11, who knows a thing or two about shotguns loves his SX3.
I use them for goose hunting, shooting clays on rainy days, and as loaners for new shooters.I have also owned a SBE2 and an A400. I sold the other two and kept my SX-3s , which should tell you which I prefer. I like the higher rib, they fit me well, and they have been extemely reliable.
Old 06-01-2015, 06:31 PM

I know nothing of the A400 but I used to shoot a Beretta 391 Urika before I gave it to my son and bought a Winchester SX3 waterfowl gun in the grippy camo. I'm perfectly happy with the Winchester (which is really a Browning of course). Shoots everything and the grippy surface is comfortable to hold.

The real deciding factor however, should be the fit. The Winchester just fit me well. I would open my eyes after mounting it and just naturally be looking down the barrel.
Old 06-01-2015, 08:09 PM

I started off with an old Win Super X model 1. Bought it at a gun show in chilliwack. Loved it! Shot everything from clays to waterfowl and then gifted it to a dear uncle of mine. Before I could get the SX3, I got a chance to shoot a A400 Xplor and thts what I went with.

I now own a A400 light and Xtreme. The Xtreme is my waterfowl gun and I shoot clays and upland with my A400 light. Although, I am thinking about selling my a400 light and upgrading to an A400 action.

Both the winchester and beretta fit me fine but the Kick-off recoil system gives the A400 the edge. IMO You can't go wrong with either.
Old 06-01-2015, 08:19 PM

edited
Old 06-01-2015, 08:38 PM

Sorry to derail but how does a Browning maxus stack up?
Old 06-01-2015, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForwardBias View Post
Sorry to derail but how does a Browning maxus stack up?
From my understanding the Browning Maxus is essentially a Winchester SX3 with a few minor changes.
Old 06-01-2015, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmandell View Post
From my understanding the Browning Maxus is essentially a Winchester SX3 with a few minor changes.
They are probably made in the same factory i wonder. The only semi ive ever shot was an old humpback A5. Gonna pick one up this summer, might have to go handle a few.
Old 06-01-2015, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmandell View Post
The Browning Silver and the SX-3 use the same action , the Maxus uses a similar , but slightly different action.
Old 06-02-2015, 06:14 PM

A400 . reason you pay more and its not just for name. not dissing the SX3, nice gun. as far as fit, my a400 fit me like crap out of box, comes with shims, got it fitted, and fits like a glove! I have literally shot every auto gun on the market a few times. No one gun is for everyone or be liked, all about fit and feel as Im sure both will do the job just fine. Ton of Benelli fans out there, I would take a Winchester in my arsenal before I bought a benelli. different folks, different strokes.
Old 06-04-2015, 08:18 AM

Thanks guys, Alot of good input, I'll post what I end up buying!
Old 07-29-2015, 12:49 PM

I had a good talk with Josh Day out at Silver Willow. He highly recommended the SX3 over the A400 Excel. He has had them both for rental guns and was very impressed on how well it cycled (with dirty cheap ammo) and next to no wear. Kept $1000 dollars in my jeans
I ended up with a SX3 28" Field. Put about 300 rounds through it this weekend and love it!

thanks for the input

Last edited by Corridor; 07-29-2015 at 12:59 PM.
Old 07-29-2015, 12:58 PM

I shoot an A400 and love it but if it doesn't fit you then it's useless...go with what fits and u will be happier in the end.
Old 07-29-2015, 01:20 PM

I have an SX3, though not in the clays configuration. Bomb-proof gun that has never failed me. Fits ME well. YMMV

My actual ownership experience with Beretta's was limited to a 391 Urika sporting, which was great gun as well. I checked out the A400 Explors last month. The Action (brown) model is pretty light. Not sure I'd choose it for primarily a clays gun. But it's nice. In the end I'd say pick which ever one fits you and feels best. If it's not your only 12 gauge then I wouldn't be concerned about being restricted to 2 3/4. But if it s your only 12 gauge I'd get one that could take 3 inch, just for the odd duck or goose hunt
Old 07-29-2015, 04:23 PM

Point to remeamber is the SX3 is pretty much a browning silver, I quite like my 20ga SX3, but prefer a older Remington 1100 in 16ga to every other semi I have used.
I find the browning gold/ silver / Winchester SX3 semi fit me well, try to handle them both, fit is much more important in a shotgun than a rifle,
I have a Beretta 391 that's been reliable, and have shot the 400 several times.

Last edited by southernman; 07-29-2015 at 04:25 PM. Reason: add info
Old 07-29-2015, 05:36 PM

They are both a bugger to clean properly. There is no greater exercise in patience than cleaning a gas operated semi auto after 5000 of junk target loads. I don't care how great you think the solvent you use is, cleaning them properly is a multi night adventure.

Think very carefully before you purchase a shotgun with KO. I have an A400 Extreme with mid butt stock KO. Works great for my goose gun. Shim here, shim there and its good enough to pound ducks and geese all morning.

Would I use it for my competition gun? Hell no, unless you are a 5'8 Italian man, chances are the gun isn't going to fit you. Stock work on a gun with the kick off system is limited at best.

Check this thread out if your goal is a nice sporting gun that can be adjusted to fit you and won't take a week to clean. Seldom do you see a properly priced gun on AO. (Due diligence required if you end up buying it)

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...ghlight=citori

I have shot the SX3, but not completely familiar with them. I have noticed the fit and finish wasn't as good as on the A400.

If you are set on the auto route and are deciding between these guns, watch the wood. I think some A400's were equipped with "Xtra Grain" (RUN!). Plus, a nicer quality Walnut can make two guns with the same metal hundreds, if not thousands of dollars different. In my opinion, the Blue Action Beretta isn't visually appealing.

Let us know what you end up buying!
Old 07-29-2015, 06:55 PM

I have a sx3. One of the 28" grey/charcoal colors ones. They safety has been changed for lh. It's a sweet shooting gun. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the well known semis. My sx3 cycles everything so far. Light and cheap target loads and heavy turkey/waterfowl loads.

You made a good choice!
Old 07-30-2015, 10:45 AM

Only way to be sure would be to buy 'em both, shoot them and keep the one you like best. I am very happy with my SX3, A400 is a very nice shotgun but overpriced in my estimation.
Old 07-30-2015, 02:45 PM

Default I had a couple of Auto Berettas

Then a Benelli M2....

Then I bought the new Remngton Versa Max .....nice

But I hoisted a Weatherby SA-08 at Taber ......nice and

Shot light shells .....dead knock off of a Beretta 302

Priced right ......So I bought one .....flawless ..

Of course shooting 101 s in between ....

I hope to give that Versa max a severe work out this year

My compadres all shoot that Browning Maxus 3.5 in. Seems to

Do the trick .

As has been stated buy a few ....lol